Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 08-04-2010, 05:47 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 3.0i
A/C Noise

Hi guys,
just a question my X3 makes a strange constant noise when I engage the A/C on. I mean it is working properly but shouldnŽt it be totally silent (except for the air flow noise which is normal and acceptable)? IŽm not sure but the noise seems to be the AC belt or compressor, since the intensity of the noise changes directly in relation with the rpms of the vehicle.
Is this normal in the X3?
Thanks in advance for your comments.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:00 AM

Mein Auto: '04 X3 3.0
Hey there Martin. My 04 X3 3.0 (68K mi) has had the same prob for a few months now. The noise is exactly proportional to the rpms and is a kind of growlling, howling sound when heard from inside the car. It seems to go on and off along with the temperature sensor engaging the compressor on and off. It also stops immediately if you push off the AC button. The noise is extremely annoying but the AC is pumping out beautiful cold air just the same.

I've had it checked out by a couple of different independent mechanics who have told me it's likely a compressor problem but nothing more definitive than that. The BMW dealer (near Pasadena) checked it out and wants $2,200 to replace it allthough they didn't say what the exact problem was. (mine is also mystic blue so maybe its just a blue thing!)

Another well known repair facility said the dealer's price was outrageous and quoted me $1,100 to do the job.

Last edited by EXBOFA; 08-23-2010 at 10:04 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-23-2010, 10:51 AM

Thank you EXBOFA for your message!. I indeed have the same symptom you apparently experience with your Mystic blue!! If the repair or replacement in the US is in the 1K-2.2K range....well down here would be at least in the USD 4K range...OMG! Anyhow like yours, my AC is working fine but the noise scares me a bit...specially if there is a compressor issue. I will have it checked out as well. See what the dealer has to say over my area...
Old 08-23-2010, 12:04 PM
Aficionado

Mein Auto: '05 X3, '95 M3, '89 MkI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin5333 View Post
Thank you EXBOFA for your message!. I indeed have the same symptom you apparently experience with your Mystic blue!! If the repair or replacement in the US is in the 1K-2.2K range....well down here would be at least in the USD 4K range...OMG! Anyhow like yours, my AC is working fine but the noise scares me a bit...specially if there is a compressor issue. I will have it checked out as well. See what the dealer has to say over my area...
Dealer prices are exhorbitant high everywhere. Take it to an independent A/C shop, they should be able to replace the compressor for a fraction than the dealer. It also can be just the bearing, but they need to look at it.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E60 '08 535xi, E83 '07 X3
Could it be the aux fan noise? It's a variable speed electrical motor that can be pretty loud sometimes.
BMWCCA #135536
Old 08-23-2010, 01:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
I'd first get the A/C belt tensioner eliminated as the cause.

Much less costly than an A/C compressor! Maybe about $100 to check it, and add another $200 if it is indeed the problem.

The pulley bearings on those can get rough and produce the sort of noise you describe.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:53 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
The exact same noise has been occurring on my X3 as well for half a year now, despite the belts being replaced. Hope it holds out for another year or two.......
Old 08-23-2010, 03:08 PM

thanks guys. IŽll take it in to the mechanic and see what he has to say. Will keep you posted.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:45 PM

Mein Auto: X3, 6 Cylinder Diesel
I had a noise issue, similar to what you are describing. It turned out it was a little fan inside the dash, part of the heater/ac control assembly, which draws air samples from inside the passenger compartment in order to check if to turn the heat or ac up or down.

The only "official BMW solution" is to replace the whole climate control panel, which is expensive.

The handy-mans solution is to spray some WD40 (with the thin extension hose) into the right hand side grille on the control panel, where the little fan sits. No need to disassemble the dash. There is no more direct access to the wining fan.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:11 AM

thanks for the tip. I still have that noise. I guess you are referring to the right air vent grille on the center console right?
Old 07-25-2011, 11:58 AM

Mein Auto: X3 3.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salzburger View Post
I had a noise issue, similar to what you are describing. It turned out it was a little fan inside the dash, part of the heater/ac control assembly, which draws air samples from inside the passenger compartment in order to check if to turn the heat or ac up or down.

The only "official BMW solution" is to replace the whole climate control panel, which is expensive.

The handy-mans solution is to spray some WD40 (with the thin extension hose) into the right hand side grille on the control panel, where the little fan sits. No need to disassemble the dash. There is no more direct access to the wining fan.
The tiny grille under the blower speed buttons?

A bit off topic but also kind of A/C noice. Mine kept some whining noice last winter too. It slightly varied by engine speed but mainly, but mainly by blower speed that I manually selected. When the speed was low I could hear the noice, but turning it two clicks higher made the noice disappear. A/C button did not afffect this in any way. Turning the fan conpletely off made it silent. I guess my issue is a bearing in the blower that would need to be replaced. Not sure how to get to it though. Maybe through the engine comparment? Without looking I would guess it is somewhere close to he microfilter?

-p
Old 02-28-2014, 10:31 AM

Mein Auto:
I have the exact same issue does anyone know what exactly is the problem and the more reasonable solution I have only had my 2005 x3 for 5 months bought it used and it just started making the notice about 2 months ago and still going.
Thanks for the help

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 03-03-2014, 07:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3.0i
My circulation fan squeaks. Will replace it this summer.
Regarding the OP's actual compressor problem: If it was mine, I'd get a can of pressurized compressor oil and feed it into the system to see if that helps... maybe it just needs more lubrication to quiet it down. Couldn't hurt...
Also, you said you don't know if its the belt or the compressor... why not replace the belt to eliminate that as a problem????

Last edited by jlex; 03-03-2014 at 07:22 AM.