Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series

3 Series / 4 Series
The 3 Series / 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-07-2003, 08:27 PM
EdCT's Avatar
EdCT EdCT is offline
zeddy
Location: Connecticut
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 7,358
Mein Auto: '06 330cic ZHP / '07 M35x
Another Final Stage Resistor Bites The Dust

Thanks to the folks here at Bimmerfest, I was able to prepare myself for the "final stage resistor" bit.

My climate control began acting up so I did a quick search here and lo and behold, lots of folks with the same problem (or subset thereof) which required a final stage resistor.

My car, a Y2k 323i, has only 30k on it, but the cc failed nonetheless.

I was able to describe the symptoms and possibly the problem to my service writer at the dealership. He was quite impressed! (thanks guys).

Anyway, it was covered under warranty.

Seems this is a common problem.

Ed
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 09-12-2004, 03:37 AM
erguy63 erguy63 is offline
Registered User
Location: Ohio, USA
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: 96' 328i
It is quite common on later 3 series BMW (5-6 out of 10 per one dealership). I just fixed my 96 328i final stage resistor by myself. Cost of the parts is about $110.
  #3  
Old 10-16-2004, 12:13 PM
haissams haissams is offline
Registered User
Location: California
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 4
Mein Auto: BMW 325i - 1993 (E36)
Mine is a 1993 BMW 325i (E36). My Climate Control system has been acting up. It's not only the air conditioner that acts up, it's also the defrost, and air recycle buttons. For example, when the defrost works, the AC works. They go on and off in unison. Could this still be the the final stage resistor? I've already changed the climate control unit that's just near the stereo behind the panel, an dalso changed the blower (heater) resistor - all done at a mechanic shop but no fix yet. I took it to the dealer and they also re-changed the climate control unit too but no fix? Has anyone experience this where the AC and the defrost, and the air recycle functions are all erratic (i.e. more often they don't work!!)

Thanks,

Sam
  #4  
Old 10-16-2004, 12:56 PM
streetk14 streetk14 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Santa Barbara
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 140
Mein Auto: E90 M3
sam, can you better decribe to me what is happening? Are you saying that the blower motor is cutting out at times? If so, it is most likely a final stage resistor, or the motor itself. Replacing the motor is a headache, and a lot of $$$ if you are going to pay someone to do it.
  #5  
Old 10-16-2004, 01:18 PM
EdCT's Avatar
EdCT EdCT is offline
zeddy
Location: Connecticut
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 7,358
Mein Auto: '06 330cic ZHP / '07 M35x
Quote:
Originally Posted by haissams
Mine is a 1993 BMW 325i (E36). My Climate Control system has been acting up. It's not only the air conditioner that acts up, it's also the defrost, and air recycle buttons. For example, when the defrost works, the AC works. They go on and off in unison. Could this still be the the final stage resistor? I've already changed the climate control unit that's just near the stereo behind the panel, an dalso changed the blower (heater) resistor - all done at a mechanic shop but no fix yet. I took it to the dealer and they also re-changed the climate control unit too but no fix? Has anyone experience this where the AC and the defrost, and the air recycle functions are all erratic (i.e. more often they don't work!!)

Thanks,

Sam

As I recall, mine just had a mind of its own:

It would often keep running for several seconds after the car was shut down.

It also would speed way up, then drift down to nearly nothing; a real *****zo.

The fix was the resistor.

Ed
  #6  
Old 10-21-2004, 01:06 AM
haissams haissams is offline
Registered User
Location: California
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 4
Mein Auto: BMW 325i - 1993 (E36)
1993 325i - Climate Control Unit

Well, Mine has the analog controls, being a 1993 325i. It has (3) buttons, one each for the AC, defrost, and the last is the one that recycles the air within the car. Mostly, they all stopped working. For example, when I push the AC button the AC does not activate (but does so once in a while.). The same goes for the rear defrost. I push the button, and the defrost light does not turn on and the deforst function is dead which could be be an inconvenience while driving... However, If the defrost happens to work, the AC will work but will turn off if I reduce fan speed... The opposite is true too in that if AC works, defrost works too but may shut off on its own! I noticed that that when I turn on the fan, some air will come out but now very little air! However, if the AC happens to work and activate when I try turn it on, the fan speed will be higher and fan blows air as it should.... Like I said I have already had the heater resitor and the climate control unit replaced. The climate control unit was changed twice (one at a mechnic shop and another at the dealer's). The Dealer diagnosed teh problem wrong (theought climate control unit) and they could not fix it! I did buy the final stage resistor online (P/N) 64 11 8 380 580 but hav enot yet had it installed at my friend's repair shop. Any input will be greatly appreciated. Sam




Quote:
Originally Posted by streetk14
sam, can you better decribe to me what is happening? Are you saying that the blower motor is cutting out at times? If so, it is most likely a final stage resistor, or the motor itself. Replacing the motor is a headache, and a lot of $$$ if you are going to pay someone to do it.
  #7  
Old 10-21-2004, 05:38 AM
Artslinger's Avatar
Artslinger Artslinger is offline
BMW + twisty road = fun
Location: Evanston
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 5,892
Mein Auto: Car
Mine is going I'm having replaced in a couple of weeks.
  #8  
Old 10-21-2004, 06:15 AM
johnf's Avatar
johnf johnf is offline
John Firestone
Location: Bremerhaven, Germany
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,593
Mein Auto: 1996 318is
I have silly question: over the last few years, has BMW gone back to using a resistor pack to control the fan speed rather than the solid state PWM stage you find in the older IHKA systems?
  #9  
Old 12-20-2004, 06:22 PM
jkbe30m3 jkbe30m3 is offline
Registered User
Location: Louisville, KY
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 12
Mein Auto: 1994 530i
what does this part look like

I need to give this resistor a shot because nothing else is helping my problem. Were is it, and how do I replace it. Pictures would be awesome.

I am new to the bmw thing. But my M3 has been nothing but problems since I purchased it. I have an 1988 Rx-7 turbo that works better than this car has so far.

Please help me I have intermittent heat and it is 10 degrees out side.
  #10  
Old 12-20-2004, 06:29 PM
HW's Avatar
HW HW is offline
lurking
Location: was from vancouver, canada
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 18,060
Mein Auto: 323ci, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by erguy63
It is quite common on later 3 series BMW (5-6 out of 10 per one dealership). I just fixed my 96 328i final stage resistor by myself. Cost of the parts is about $110.
to me a resistor is a $0.03 piece. what does this final stage resistor for $110 look like?
__________________
2010 Acura TSX manual
  #11  
Old 12-20-2004, 06:49 PM
jpherit's Avatar
jpherit jpherit is offline
Natural optical phenomena
Location: Davis, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 122
Mein Auto: 2001-325i, 2011 Prius
Thumbs down final stage resitor gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdCT
Thanks to the folks here at Bimmerfest, I was able to prepare myself for the "final stage resistor" bit.

My climate control began acting up so I did a quick search here and lo and behold, lots of folks with the same problem (or subset thereof) which required a final stage resistor.

My car, a Y2k 323i, has only 30k on it, but the cc failed nonetheless.

I was able to describe the symptoms and possibly the problem to my service writer at the dealership. He was quite impressed! (thanks guys).

Anyway, it was covered under warranty.

Seems this is a common problem.

Ed
I lost my final stage resistor 3 weeks ago. (2001, 325i, 31k miles) Replaced on warranty. Dealer agreed with my diagnosis of problem. Thanks everybody! The fan had a mind of its own. I shure hope they have fixed the problem. While I am very happy with my 325i, I don't think their electics are as reliable as they should be. (I also lost the engine fan early on. apparently that problem has ben fixed as I have had no problems with the Bosch fan. It was a Siemens unit that failed.)
__________________
2001 325i, steel blue, 5sp-manual, sport, Xenon, cloth seats, rear sun screen, fold.
  #12  
Old 12-20-2004, 08:28 PM
BlackChrome's Avatar
BlackChrome BlackChrome is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle, WA
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,798
Mein Auto: '02 E39 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HW
to me a resistor is a $0.03 piece. what does this final stage resistor for $110 look like?
Courtesy of sycE46 on e46fanatics


BTW, my buddy at the local BMW parts department told me that the current resister for the e46 is an update of another update... Let's hope mine doesn't crap out again!
__________________
2002 E39 M5 Chiaretto Red/Caramel extended leather
  #13  
Old 12-21-2004, 06:44 AM
markl53's Avatar
markl53 markl53 is offline
bimmerfest Supporting Member
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 5,124
Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by haissams
..For example, when the defrost works, the AC works. They go on and off in unison. Could this still be the the final stage resistor? Thanks,

Sam
Is it possible you never noticed the AC going on with the defrost mode? In most cars, this is the case to speed up clearing the windshield by dehumidifying the air. In some cars, you won't see the AC light come on but you can hear the compressor kick on. In other cars the AC light will show up if it wasn't already on. When you turn off the defrost, the AC button should go back to the mode it was in before (i.e. off or on). Actually, I haven't yet used the defrost mode in my new 330i, but I'm assuming it works like most other cars I've owned.
__________________
BMW-CCA
Bimmerfest Supporting Member



2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
  #14  
Old 12-21-2004, 12:18 PM
Andre Yew Andre Yew is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Santa Barbara, CA USA
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 371
Mein Auto: 2000 E46 328Ci Bright Red
I had mine replaced this summer after a few months of slow deterioration. My dealer service writer claims that they don't fail after being replaced once.

--Andre
  #15  
Old 12-21-2004, 12:42 PM
Artslinger's Avatar
Artslinger Artslinger is offline
BMW + twisty road = fun
Location: Evanston
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 5,892
Mein Auto: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
I had mine replaced this summer after a few months of slow deterioration. My dealer service writer claims that they don't fail after being replaced once.

--Andre
I hope not... had mine replaced in my 325 last month.
  #16  
Old 12-21-2004, 12:50 PM
HW's Avatar
HW HW is offline
lurking
Location: was from vancouver, canada
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 18,060
Mein Auto: 323ci, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackChrome
Courtesy of sycE46 on e46fanatics


BTW, my buddy at the local BMW parts department told me that the current resister for the e46 is an update of another update... Let's hope mine doesn't crap out again!
at $110 that still price gouging.
__________________
2010 Acura TSX manual
  #17  
Old 12-21-2004, 10:11 PM
haissams haissams is offline
Registered User
Location: California
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 4
Mein Auto: BMW 325i - 1993 (E36)
Final Stage resistor - E36

Quote:
Originally Posted by erguy63
It is quite common on later 3 series BMW (5-6 out of 10 per one dealership). I just fixed my 96 328i final stage resistor by myself. Cost of the parts is about $110.
Hello! I have a 1993 325i (E36). I've had problems with climate control not working (once in a blue moon it does work)! The climate control includes the rear defrost and the A/C! It's an electrila problem for sure. I changed the climate control panel and also the heater motor resistor but those did not fix it! Then, I bought a final-stage resistor new for $110 (p/n 64 11 8 380 580) but my friendly mechanic could not find where it would be in the car so to replace it! Do you know if a 1993 E36 has a final-stage resistor? It seems to be confused with the heater motor resistor. If so, where inside the car would I find the final-stage resistor? Thanks, Sam
 

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms