Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 08-07-2010, 09:24 AM

Send a message via AIM to Mike Gardner
Mein Auto: '01 X5 3.0 '00 323CI 540i
How to Remove/Rebuild Transfer Case

It appears as though my transfer case is bad (crunching sound) and I need to rebuild it (or take is apart and buy a rebuilt one). Anyone have ideas/instructions with pictures on how to do it. I have another car so am not too concerned about time but I have two kids getting ready to go to college this year, so I don't have the money to pay someone else to do it.

Help is much appreciated.

Mike
Advertisement
Old 09-04-2010, 02:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 530ia 2003 X5 3.0ia
Mike, here's a very detailed thread with pics on transfer case removal. My 03 X5 3.0 made this crunching/grinding sound today, but after pulling over and shutting down the car and restarting it it seemed normal and the noise went away. I drove home and now I'm researching this issue. I'm not sure if i should drive the car more or park it and start procuring repair parts.
First i need to make sure what component is failing.

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...-pictures.html

Post your status as well, I'm relatively mechanically inclined and if it is a transfer case with stripped splines on CV axles i should be able to tackle it myself.

Thrust arm bushings easy DIY
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=506735

FS:17" OEM BBS Style 42 wheels, TOYO PROXES T1R tires ***HONOLULU only***
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=518241
Old 09-24-2010, 08:33 AM

Mein Auto: 02 X5 3.0l
Thanks Mr BMC530i
You made my life easy. Thanks Again.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to Mike Gardner
Mein Auto: '01 X5 3.0 '00 323CI 540i
Front Left Drive Axle -- Not Transfer Case

I checked things out further and found it to be the front left axle CV joint. Naturally I found this out after half dismantling the car (just kidding). I pulled both axles and prepared to pull the front differential when I decided to look at the axles. The front left inside boot (CV Joint Boot) was torn, which led me to look at it. It looked like it may have had a hard life though it was the second rebuild on that joint since I've had it (85K miles).

I originally had a loud crunch when backing my X5 out of a parking spot while turn the wheel sharply to the left. I cringed, straightened the wheels and began driving off when the car lurched. It sounded and felt like worn out brake pads that were so worn out they got stuck between the caliper and the rotor. I wished it was that but since it wasn't I thought it was the front differential (it didn't feel like the rear).

Final result --- front left CV joint. I guess we live and learn. (I hope.)