Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 08-07-2010, 04:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 550i 6-speed
Carmax's extended warranty -- any problems?

I'm getting a car from carmax next week and I was looking at their extended warranty offers. Looks a lot better than BMW's extended warranty.

Unlike CPO it covers pretty much everything. It's cheaper, at least in my case.

So, I'm looking for reasons that would tell me it sounds too good to be true. Or confirm that it is a good deal.

Does anyone have any experience with carmax's warranty?

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp
2001 330i (retired) - 5-speed/sport/heated seats/xenons/DICE iPod interfaces
Advertisement
Old 08-07-2010, 04:22 PM
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)

Mein Auto: F30 335i MSpt- Mus GT 5.0
Found this with a google:

http://www.ripoffreport.com/auto-war...rove-ae8ae.htm

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

2013 335i M Sport- EBII / BLACK / Dk Walnut
Pkgs-Prem/ DHP/ Tech/ DA/DA+ Opts- 8Sprt AT/ Htd FS/ HK/ Hi Bm Asst/ 403 19" w/perf

ED#2-04/23/13-
Photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/mdsbuc/...eat=directlink
ED#1-10/10/05-
Photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/mdsbuc/...eat=directlink
Old 08-08-2010, 03:55 PM

Interesting. I wonder if it's just several unhappy people from an overall happy population that uses it, or it's a trend. Just thinking out loud....

Old 08-09-2010, 12:19 AM
Tommy Gun Angel

Mein Auto: 2005 330i ZHP, Two Pedals
I do not want to bad mouth Carmax, since I have no experience with their aftermarket warranties, but out of the three "premium" car brands that I've owned during the last 20 years - Volvo, Lexus and BMW - BMW's warranty service has been the most accomodating. Lexus has a well deserved reputation for excellent customer service, but in my experience BMW's in-warranty coverage, and "goodwill" gestures concerning work that falls into the gray area of "maybe or maybe not covered under warranty", have been so "above and beyond" the call of duty as to be worthy of mention.

If I were buying a pre owned BMW, I would shop around for the best deal I could get on a BMW Gold or Platinum Extended Warranty, but there is no way that I would go outside BMW for extended warranty coverage.

Maybe I'm one of the lucky few, but I doubt it, because I'm never one of the lucky few.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 545
I got the full 100K mile warranty for my 04 545 from Carmax. I believe it cost me around 3500.

They have already paid out over 6K. So yes it is worth it.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:30 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Here is a portion of a post of mine from half a year ago:

Quote:
I only have good things to say about Carmax. I had been shopping for quite a while, and am perfectly satisfied. I first was introduced to the idea by a friend who bought a Golf from there years ago, and since have met a few more who have bought from them as well.

The warranty is excellent. I have a friend who worked as a bmw and mini tech for many years (now recently moved far away to open his own shop; for me), and he tried to talk me out of any warranty. I still got it, but followed just about everything else he advised in general over the years of shopping (not first year of manufacture, forget most any option but sport, etc). If you want it, you have to buy it on day 1, and do it! Because that's your only opportunity. You have 30 days to get 100% back on it (since 30 days are already included per carmax policy). After that, you can refund it pro-rated at any time. You can transfer the warranty if you sell it privately. You can offer it as an option to buyer, and if he/she doesn't want it, sell the remainder back to carmax. Lastly, you get 5 days to return the car itself for 100% refund. Oh, my 6yr/100k costed 1.8k. Interestingly that's about what the Golf friend paid, and my Ford diesel friend paid about 3k. I only expect to run about 6k miles a year on it, so it's just about the duration, not miles, for me. ($300/yr is fine by me.)

My friend with the Golf said his warranty already paid itself over multiple times. I recently talked a tire store manager friend into buying his monster Ford diesel truck from there, and he also got the warranty.
The friend with the massive diesel took his in already for something or other, but the Carmax dealership's lifts couldn't handle it. I asked him why he didn't just take it straight to a Ford dealership (because you can take it wherever you want), but he decided to save on his copay. I believe my own copay is $25 IF I don't take it directly to carmax. There is a BMW dealership on the same street, which is also one of the few/several BMW dealerships my friend worked at, and he was working there at that time. Even with this "connection", cross shopping these two stores on the same day, Carmax easily won for me. I've been to a number of BMW places, driven many cars, and have collected many dealer cards. Anyways, to come full circle, Carmax didn't charge my friend anything to have it taken care of at the Ford dealership; it wasn't his fault that their lift couldn't handle it. So, my Carmax does a lot of business with the neighboring BMW service center. I can take my car wherever I want, but I'm not sure exactly where I'll take it if I ever have a problem. I'll probably research that when the time comes (hopefully never).
Old 08-13-2010, 08:42 AM

Thanks, guys.