Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 08-07-2010, 08:08 PM

Mein Auto: 5 Series
Hesitation continues at low RPM

Has anyone found a resolution for the hesitation issue?

The hesitation problem started shortly after the fuel filter was changed and has gotten more consistent but only happens at low RPM. The fuel injector service was performed and high quality gas is used.

There hasn't been a code until this week when I got "increased emissions". The mechanic got some random codes relating to the O2 sensor but he doesn't want to throw sensors at the problem. Replaced spark plugs, checked all the coils and the hesitation persists.

Any ideas? Thanks

LJ
2004 525i 72K
Ads by Google
Old 08-13-2010, 04:41 AM

Mein Auto: 5 Series
Miss-fire cylinder 2

Isolated the problem to a miss-fire on cylinder 2 that happens at low rpm (about 2500). Has anyone else experienced this issue? Any resolution?

Help!
Old 08-13-2010, 06:59 AM
Around the Bend

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 545i Sport
I too have the increased emissions issue, and possibly the hesitation issue at low rpm. I'm taking it in today because they found a leak in part of the re-circulated exhaust system. They're going to replace the part and do another smoke test to make sure it's tight. I'm hoping this will not only clear the alert but have some impact on the slight (and not always consistent) hesitation I get at low speed/rpm. I'll report back with their findings and my post-service experience.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:22 AM
Around the Bend

Back from the dealer where they said it would be an hour wait and it was. They replaced the crank case vent valves which were faulty, re-smoked and found it tight. I don't want to get ahead of myself, but I didn't notice that hesitation I was getting before (it was never huge and kind of random). So here's to hoping. I'm going to drive it over the weekend and bring it in next week for them to do a courtesy emissions test on it. You really can't beat quality service like that!
Old 08-14-2010, 12:23 PM
Around the Bend

Sigh.. and the hesitation is back. It's only at low speeds/rpms though and it's just a mild to moderate surginess... Drives great otherwise, so it's frustrating that the off the line acceleration is basically gutless right now.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: m5
I have similar thing going,but once i switch to sports/manual mode car takes off quick. did u try that? i'm curious
Old 08-16-2010, 06:11 AM
Around the Bend

I tried that and though there is more power/rpms, it's still not transferring it correctly I don't think. That combined with having the trans overheat twice over this weekend (admittedly while driving through the mountains both times) I think that may be where my problem lies. Ugh.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:05 PM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: 745i 2003
hesitation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigterm View Post
I tried that and though there is more power/rpms, it's still not transferring it correctly I don't think. That combined with having the trans overheat twice over this weekend (admittedly while driving through the mountains both times) I think that may be where my problem lies. Ugh.
he he

welcome to my world

problem is way more serious here

how many miles you guys have? i have 87k miles.

remove your head covers clean it up and let me know how good it is.

You know.. mechanics at stealeships are idiots!!! they don't know a sh%^&t they charge you all the time

just open your oil cap and tell me how much vacuum you have there?

also do you have alittle bit of shaking when you first start the car??

also make sure you valvetronic levers are ok, not worn out
Old 08-16-2010, 02:19 PM
Around the Bend

No shaking when it starts, at idle the rpm needle bounces between 6-800rpm, though not in an overly rough fashion. I'm taking my car in tomorrow after work and leaving it with them for a day or so until they can diagnose it. I just got the dang thing a couple weeks ago, so hopefully they will do right by me. Anyway, it has 62k miles on it and from all the research I've just done, it's a known issue. I was dumb not to look into this year/model this thoroughly, but I feel in love with it at the dealership and during the test drive it was fine. As it is though, I already had the crank case vent valves replaced (they were cracked and the vacuum/smoke test revealed only that so far). We'll see.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:23 PM

Mein Auto: 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by N60B44 View Post
he he

welcome to my world

problem is way more serious here

how many miles you guys have? i have 87k miles.

remove your head covers clean it up and let me know how good it is.

You know.. mechanics at stealeships are idiots!!! they don't know a sh%^&t they charge you all the time

just open your oil cap and tell me how much vacuum you have there?

also do you have alittle bit of shaking when you first start the car??

also make sure you valvetronic levers are ok, not worn out
why you think its a ccv clogged/leak?
Old 08-17-2010, 01:40 PM
Account Under Review

hesiation

Quote:
Originally Posted by porksoda View Post
why you think its a ccv clogged/leak?
CCV hoses and valves can cause this issue.

its not rough idle... for someone it would sound ok, but its not silky smooth and light as it should be.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:22 PM
Around the Bend

Just dropped off mah baby! They're going to go over it tomorrow and see if they can identify the issue. I sent their service manager a lengthy email with a full description of symptoms as well as links to various (other) posts about this issue, including a few links ya'll may find interesting:

http://www.aboutautomobile.com/Compl...c+Transmission
http://www.arfc.org/complaints/2005/bmw/545i/
http://www.insideline.com/bmw/5-seri...-bmw-545i.html

Hopefully that will give proper credence to my complaint as well as give them some starting points. I'll let ya'll know what the verdict is once I find out. Until then, *nervous*.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:29 AM

Mein Auto: m5
i'll keep my fingers crossed for you-tho my car has 87k miles on it and there's a slight shake when it starts,with the tach needle bouncing a little dealership told me there's absolutely NOTHING wrong with the car when i took it in- what a surprise that is! i personaly was looking forward to buy e60 545 for a few years,and after having 2 740s back when they were still cool i wanted to buy 545 but got M5 instead-which was was amzing but comes with crushing depreciation and a huge maint. bill! so i was looking into 545 more than ever,and now that i got it-i think it would be the last bmw i gonna buy... good luck
Old 08-19-2010, 06:25 PM
Around the Bend

Well, the verdict for the trans over-heating issue is the transmission thermostat needing to be replaced. I guess it's stuck mostly closed and isn't working properly. So they're getting a part from BMW and replacing it tomorrow. As for the hesitation issue, they didn't find anything specific. No codes, no obvious mechanical problems other than the trans thermostat. I had given them some links to other people's complaints and they're aware of this issue on the e60's but I'm not sure there is anything specific they can do. So eh, I'm glad they found something that might have caused further issues down the road, but I'm left in limbo on the hesitation problem. It sucks not having that off the line acceleration I should be getting from a 4.4 liter v8.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:05 PM
Account Under Review

V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigterm View Post
Well, the verdict for the trans over-heating issue is the transmission thermostat needing to be replaced. I guess it's stuck mostly closed and isn't working properly. So they're getting a part from BMW and replacing it tomorrow. As for the hesitation issue, they didn't find anything specific. No codes, no obvious mechanical problems other than the trans thermostat. I had given them some links to other people's complaints and they're aware of this issue on the e60's but I'm not sure there is anything specific they can do. So eh, I'm glad they found something that might have caused further issues down the road, but I'm left in limbo on the hesitation problem. It sucks not having that off the line acceleration I should be getting from a 4.4 liter v8.
+1
Mobody knows how to fix it (( they say it's okay) lol!!!
BMW v8 suck!!! That's why they switch to online now.
I think problem is sitting in the heads they are clogged!! Not enough air the mixture is rich!
They did it on one v8 and it helped!!!
Old 12-05-2010, 06:05 PM

Mein Auto: 3series
Sorry to bring back old thread but i have similar issues on my 525i.
My idle jumps when low acceleration.
it drives ok and no code.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW E60 325i
check the hose between the the oil dipstick pipe to the bottom of the intake manifold,,,just move the air flow hose and inspect it for cracks,,,,it has like a net cover around it ,but move the hose gently to se if you notice any abnormal movement,,hose is like $20 or less,I always have at least 5 in my shop,,,frequent problem and also sometimes do not show codes
Old 04-19-2013, 09:14 AM

Mein Auto: 09 X5, 05 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast VW Tunning View Post
check the hose between the the oil dipstick pipe to the bottom of the intake manifold,,,just move the air flow hose and inspect it for cracks,,,,it has like a net cover around it ,but move the hose gently to se if you notice any abnormal movement,,hose is like $20 or less,I always have at least 5 in my shop,,,frequent problem and also sometimes do not show codes
Thanks bro!

Suggestions for how to get back there? Do I need to take off the cabin filters housing?

Steve
Old 04-23-2013, 05:46 PM

Mein Auto: 04 530i, 04 Z4
Try the disa valve
Old 04-23-2013, 08:46 PM
In my own little world...

Mein Auto: 2008 550i Sport, 2002 Z06
I dunno if this is the same thing, but my '08 550 has a dreadful start from a full stop. Unless I take-off under stiff acceleration the car completely bogs down like it's not getting any air, is this anything y'all experience?
Old 04-24-2013, 12:01 PM

Mein Auto: 09 X5, 05 545i
No Disa Valve on a N62 engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRuano View Post
Try the disa valve
not on an N62 engine bro:

http://forums.5series.net/e60-discus...-110633/page2/

Real OEM link:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...77&hg=11&fg=40

Steve