Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 04-25-2014, 02:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
My CBU story

Had SES light a few times, kept taking it to the dealership. Last time I had the car about ten miles before it came back.

Codes: 4AD5, 4C04, 4595, 4596, 3FF1

Repair: Replaced all six fuel injectors, exhaust gas temp sensor, performed carbon cleaning of intake ports, sent intake manifold for cleaning.

Whey they put the car back together engine cranked and then stopped. Wouldn't turn over by hand, so they took apart the intake manifold/injectors/valve cover to inspect. No problems fund with the valve train. Removed the oil pump to make sure no bent connecting rods. Removed the cylinder head assembly and found a small amount "1/2 teaspoonful" carbon dust on one of the pistons. Reassembled and is running fine. They drove it for 50 miles and no codes.

Parts: ~4k
Labor: ~8k
All was covered under CPO and they waived the deductible. Price was heavily increased due to the troubleshooting necessary. I asked about the walnut blasting and I was told it'd be about a thousand out of warranty.
Ads by Google
Old 04-26-2014, 03:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335d 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbovi View Post
Had SES light a few times, kept taking it to the dealership. Last time I had the car about ten miles before it came back.

Repair: Replaced all six fuel injectors, exhaust gas temp sensor, performed carbon cleaning of intake ports, sent intake manifold for cleaning.

Whey they put the car back together engine cranked and then stopped. Wouldn't turn over by hand, so they took apart the intake manifold/injectors/valve cover to inspect. No problems fund with the valve train. Removed the oil pump to make sure no bent connecting rods. Removed the cylinder head assembly and found a small amount "1/2 teaspoonful" carbon dust on one of the pistons. Reassembled and is running fine. They drove it for 50 miles and no codes.

All was covered under CPO and they waived the deductible. Price was heavily increased due to the troubleshooting necessary. I asked about the walnut blasting and I was told it'd be about a thousand out of warranty.
Diesel are harder to crank (high compression engine). I had all 6 injectors replaced again last week. First, car would not start. They had to bleed air out of fuel system to start it.
Old 04-26-2014, 04:16 PM

Mein Auto: 328d
Quote:
Originally Posted by montr View Post
Diesel are harder to crank (high compression engine). I had all 6 injectors replaced again last week. First, car would not start. They had to bleed air out of fuel system to start it.
Tells me they don't have dedicated diesel mechanics in their shop. I'm surprised that the injectors weren't damaged by the lack of fuel.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattebury View Post
Tells me they don't have dedicated diesel mechanics in their shop. I'm surprised that the injectors weren't damaged by the lack of fuel.
They might have been. Only way to tell is if the injectors go on holiday in the not too distant future.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:44 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
+1^! - Also the OP's experience provides yet another reason to never own a BMW without some sort of warranty.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d M-Sport
Quote:

Someone called me crazy for characterizing this as a $10-$15k expense.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveN007 View Post
Someone called me crazy for characterizing this as a $10-$15k expense.
A large part of the labor was pulling the engine apart and troubleshooting. I think a realistic price would probably be about 4k parts and labor (and that's if you're getting six new injectors from the dealership like in my case).
Old 04-28-2014, 02:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d M-Sport
Quote:
A large part of the labor was pulling the engine apart and troubleshooting. I think a realistic price would probably be about 4k parts and labor (and that's if you're getting six new injectors from the dealership like in my case).
Here is a $5100 quote.

I know these are all "different", but carbon build up is the common cause, and the fix after 50,000 miles is a .10 a mile tax.

30 mpg at $4.00 a gallon is $.133 a mile

20 mpg is $.20 a mile.

So CBU fix wipes out every possible economic efficiency advantage of a 335d over a 335i.

You could have bought a 335i, and planted $3000 worth of trees for same result minus hassle. https://www.carbonfund.org/individuals

I haven't driven a 335i, but on paper they are quicker regardless of the torque we love.

Fewer stops to fuel up? Extended range? Twice the number of fuel stops is less time than a week in the shop.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:12 PM

To each their own - in my case my mileage is 65k. Makes the "tax" go down to 7 cents a mile and makes the advantage equal out. That's taking an average MPG to be 30 though.

I came in here to talk about my increase since the carbon cleaning; my daily trip is about 60 miles and I normally get 31.3. Today I drove the same and I got 37.9 MPG. That'd bring your cost/mile down to .105 instead of the .133. Savings of .03 a mile!

Also, I know many a thread on this and the other forum has been dedicated to the HPFP failure in the 335i. Some people have had their HPFP fail 3-4 times. BMW has extended coverage on the part to 10 years/120k miles under warranty instead of the 4 year/50k because of so many failures (and a few lawsuits). I think it's only a matter of time before ours gets extended as well.

Short story long - I think the overall carbon cleaning cost will come down in time as other shops get familiar with the practice. I'm happy with the car and I know I'm covered until the CPO expires next year. By then I expect the DPF delete procedure will be solidified and I'll head that route.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:05 PM

Mein Auto: 335d (e90)
Dpf has nothing to do with cbu. If anything its egr.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-29-2014, 05:57 AM

Mein Auto: 335D
Egr block is a load cheaper than cbu cleaning. Might as well throw one in there while its still nice and clean
Old 04-30-2014, 11:55 AM

Mein Auto: The Ultimate
Ditto on the EGR block.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335D M sport...
EGR block is federally illegal, that said, I say remove the entire exhaust and go straight pipe from the turbo back...
Old 04-30-2014, 12:19 PM

your chance of getting busted with an EGR block is essentially 0. There is no easy way to tell from inside the car or under the hood unless you delete the EGR cooler also, which you still wouldnt know from inside the car and 99.999% of officers on the street wouldnt recognize either. Straight exhaust, however, will be pretty obvious at times of heavy throttle or cold starting that you have modified your exhaust system significantly.

Last edited by Hoooper; 04-30-2014 at 12:20 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
your chance of getting busted with an EGR block is essentially 0. There is no easy way to tell from inside the car or under the hood unless you delete the EGR cooler also, which you still wouldnt know from inside the car and 99.999% of officers on the street wouldnt recognize either. Straight exhaust, however, will be pretty obvious at times of heavy throttle or cold starting that you have modified your exhaust system significantly.
Not by a cop at emmisions when your engine throws a code because the egr is blocked, do you have a tune for the ecu for that???
Old 04-30-2014, 02:00 PM

I say this because I did it full exhaust delete...
Old 04-30-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Try blocking your egr without disabling the dpf and cat and not throw a code???How
Old 04-30-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselRacer View Post
Not by a cop at emmisions when your engine throws a code because the egr is blocked, do you have a tune for the ecu for that???
who the heck would bring a car that has deleted emissions and throws a code to the emissions check yeah of course you would get caught. You simply remove the block before testing and then clear the codes, reinstall once testing is complete.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
who the heck would bring a car that has deleted emissions and throws a code to the emissions check yeah of course you would get caught. You simply remove the block before testing and then clear the codes, reinstall once testing is complete.
In AZ you can pass with full exhaust delete, I do all the time, but to block off the egr and not throw codes is another story, do it right or don't do it at all...

Last edited by DieselRacer; 04-30-2014 at 02:40 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:30 PM

You can tune it out with an ecu flash but the cat and dpf have to be addressed also..
Old 04-30-2014, 02:32 PM

Hooper is see your in CA, completely different emissions than any other state, we can do anything in AZ to our cars as long as their is no check engine light we are good, you can block off egr but its not that simple other parts of the system will suffer it's a delete all or leave stock kinda thing...
Old 04-30-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Hooper is see your in CA, completely different emissions than any other state, we can do anything in AZ to our cars as long as their is no check engine light we are good
if you have an OBD check that includes checking for monitors like they do in MANY states, thats the same as diesel testing in CA except a visual check. There is no tailpipe here (yet)

Quote:
you can block off egr but its not that simple other parts of the system will suffer it's a delete all or leave stock kinda thing...
no, you can block the EGR without doing any of that other stuff. The only potential affect would be increased urea consumption, but that hasnt been found to be the case. There are several people running only EGR deletes with no issues so far.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:10 PM

Mein Auto: 335D, 435i (Ordered)
Quote:
Plus the EPA doesn't really care so much about the individual because they want the bigger fish (Tuners who sell parts to circumvent emissions).

Last edited by BMWTurboDzl; 04-30-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:42 PM

Here in SC they don't check anything. With that being said...

Was casually driving home, not even somewhat spirited and felt a large shudder. Got the transmission malfunction warning and then it slowly creeped pretty much in neutral to a stop. Luckily I was only a few miles from my house but it's getting towed to BMW tomorrow. Undercarriage/rear of the car is covered in oil and it's leaking all over the driveway - not thrilled. Codes popped up show:
4593 - Smoothness control cylinder 2
4595 - cyl 6
4596 - cyl 3
4F95 - Ratio Clutch B/E
4F81 - Ratio Clutch A
4F84 - Ratio Clutch D

Back to the shop it goes.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:21 PM

Quote:
if you have an OBD check that includes checking for monitors like they do in MANY states, thats the same as diesel testing in CA except a visual check. There is no tailpipe here (yet)

no, you can block the EGR without doing any of that other stuff. The only potential affect would be increased urea consumption, but that hasnt been found to be the case. There are several people running only EGR deletes with no issues so far.
Running an egr delete is fine, but what is the advantage, less carbon build up, how would they know it works, that being said how do you tune it just for egr delete and who does the tuning, when you block off the egr it will affect the cat dpf how quick the car heats up etc, im all for removing emmisions crap but if you do one you have to do it all...