Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 10-02-2014, 08:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d
JBD Diesel Tuner / CAN Tool Questions

Hey guys!!

I am looking at buying a JBD Tuner. Had a few questions about the aforementioned "CAN Tool" I hear about when reading about the tuner.

I remember a few months ago when I went to add a JBD tuner to a cart that I was prompted to buy the CAN Tool. Can't remember the website. Well, I've been unable to locate this.

What exactly is the Can Tool? Is it like VCADS for VW/Audi? Just a dongle to hook up OBD ---> Computer?

Is it a necessity to have in conjunction w/ JBD Tuner?

My 335d has about 82-83k on it. I would assume I'm on the higher mileage end of the spectrum? Off hand, does anyone know the highest mileage on this board? I am a sales rep and put around 30k on my car a year. This thing is a DREAM to drive on the highway. I want to keep this car as long as possible!

Thanks so much.

Alex

PS, if it does in fact hookup to a computer, is the software Mac/Apple compatible?
Advertisement
Old 10-02-2014, 06:19 PM
Oil Burner

Mein Auto: 335D
It is a rudimentary code reader intended primarily for near realtime nuisance code resetting potentially caused by the JBD. I use it with the JBD at full boogie and have never seen a code, at least one that actually generated an instrument cluster or Nav display warning.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-04-2014, 08:18 AM
Jumping Jack Flash

Mein Auto: 2011 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex1118 View Post
What exactly is the Can Tool?
Plugs into the JBD port. Has a single button. Uses the turn signal lights and the speedo as the display. Button allows you to
(1) initially setup the device (NOTE: have not done);
(2) read codes (NOTE: shows how many codes exist and then displays them one at a time, one digit at a time. You need to mentally convert the 10-12 to HEX A-C. It does not display the 5 digit codes typically preceded by a P. I know little about this latter format)
(3) delete all codes (NOTE: it seems to delete all codes readable by the CAN tool; don't know about ALL codes);
(4) can be set to auto-delete certain codes (NOTE: I don't use this so can't comment on what it does or does not do)
(5) apparently can give you an upshift light for RPMs greater than 6k-7.2k, configurable. Not terribly useful for 335d.
(6) apparently can hijack some gauges (NOTE: have not tried this)

Quote:
Is it a necessity to have in conjunction w/ JBD Tuner?
Not mandatory but for me quite useful to quickly reset codes to escape limp mode without shutting down and to read codes. I have had about 4-5 limp modes in 30k miles. I run JBD at 100%.

Quote:
My 335d has about 82-83k on it. I would assume I'm on the higher mileage end of the spectrum? Off hand, does anyone know the highest mileage on this board? I am a sales rep and put around 30k on my car a year. This thing is a DREAM to drive on the highway. I want to keep this car as long as possible!
Ditto.

Quote:
PS, if it does in fact hookup to a computer, is the software Mac/Apple compatible?
Looks to me like an enterprising programmer could possibly do something with the physical interface; don't know.
Mods, etc: ACS M3 Sports Springs, JRZ RS1 Dmprs, Quaife LSD w/VAC finned diff cvr, M3 Rear SF Bushings, M3 Sways, M3 OEM front and rear Susp Comp Kits (except strut brace), Ground Control Caster/Camber Plates, JBD 100%, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, non-stgrd Apex ARC-8 18" wheels & Nitto Motivo tires (for winter OEM 17" wheels and Blizzak LM-25 tires).