Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 09-03-2015, 11:44 AM
Mein Auto: Aprilia
335 reliability

So here's my story. My last BMW was a 1985 528e. When we finally let it go, it had 280k miles, and it still had the original clutch (that must be a record). Before that I had a 320i. Both cars were great and super reliable.

In 2010 we got Jetta TDI with the intent of giving to our daughter when she graduated from college. The VW really got me to like the diesel motor.

Well our daughter graduated and she has the TDI and were looking for something else. The 335d, to me, seems to be the "ultimate driving machine". Great performance, long legs, sporty, but not a sports car, comfortable, and very attractive.

After reading many, many threads, the down side seems to be reliabilty (CBU, SCR, EGR, DEF, injector, glow plugs). But this may be a misconception. One of the purposes of these forums is to discuss problems, so problems are likely over represented.

I view the CBU as a routine maintenance issue, since that is the only solution (as least here in CA). I can live with a cleaning every 50k or so. What I don't want is a car that is contantly in the shop or leaves my wife stranded.

How often (per 10k miles) has your 335d been in shop for repair?

Thanks for you input.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:02 PM
Oil Burner
Mein Auto: 335D
My take is they are below average in the reliability category, generally speaking - due mostly to complicated, under-engineered emissions controls. Add high repair costs, and it not a car for the budget challenged, unless you can do at least some of your own work and make modifications to mitigate the CBU issue.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Mine has 85000 miles and it has never had a carbon buildup problem or cleaning. I do a couple of things that I think help mitigate the cbu issue.
1. We never use the car for short in town trips. Most of the miles are accumulated by my wife's 70 miles per day round trip to work and back. On the return trip she pulls a four mile long 7% grade which actually makes the motor work a little bit.
2. I add some diesel fuel injector cleaner to every tank. I believe that keeping the injectors as clean as they can be is beneficial.
3. I change the oil every six thousand miles. It is extremely simple to change the oil on these cars. Two career BMW mechanics I know have recommended this because carbon buildup is basically caused by oil mist from the PCV valve getting baked by the hot air from the EGR valve. They contend that when there is less contaminants in the oil the build up will be far less. Some on this forum have disagreed with me on this. Maybe they are right but in my case the proof is in the pudding.
2009 335d
2016 VW GSW SE tsi
2012 VW JSW TDI traded in for GSW
2008 VW Rabbit
2004 Nissan Titan
Old 09-03-2015, 02:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Mein Auto: 335D
Mine has been at the dealer 0 times in the last 65k miles since the warranty ran out.

There are temporary things you can and should do in CA to prevent CBU.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Today's Posts Search