Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-19-2014, 09:29 PM
mattebury mattebury is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Southern California
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 108
Mein Auto: 328d
Diesel Prices Out of Whack in San Diego

Weird,

Local gas station has:

Regular - $2.999
Mid - $3.099
Premium - $3.199
Diesel - $3.499

Diesel is usually the same price as premium, now it $0.30 higher! At least I'm averaging 38!
__________________
2014 328d
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 11-19-2014, 10:28 PM
DaveN007 DaveN007 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Northern California
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 197
Mein Auto: 2011 335d M-Sport
Local Safeway (Chevron Gas) in Northern California outside of Bay Area. Similarly whacked.


$2.919 reg

$3.039 mid

$3.139 prem

$3.499 diesel


I have a "Hybrid Garage" with 1 petrol, 1 hybrid, 1 diesel, and 1 EV car.

The 335d is finding itself spending less time around town getting 25mpg. That is what the EV is for, so it takes some of the sting out of it.

EV is $.025 per mile for me. $3.50 is 35 kWh and maths out to over 100 mpg. This is a true net number unlike the BS you will see in the media.

I HIGHLY recommend getting a California Compliance car while you can. It is the deal of a lifetime if you fit the profile. My first month electric bill went down by 80 percent of the lease payment on the car INCLUDING the cost to charge it.

The gap has definitely widened between the 335d and our Civic Hybrid which burns regular and gets 30 mpg around town and 40 on the highway at 85 mph.

Just keep reminding yourself that you need to factor in the performance of the car. Compare it to a 335i burning premium and we still come out on top. Plus...the 335d is....SPECIAL .
__________________
2011 Alpine White on Brown Dakota 335d M-Sport * Premium* Cold Weather * Harmon Kardon * XM
2015 Pearl White Fiat 500e
2015 Laguna Blue Corvette Z06 (Coming Soon)


Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-19-2014, 10:59 PM
d geek d geek is offline
diesel evangelist
Location: San Antonio, TX, USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,170
Mein Auto: Volvo V70 + Volvo S80
Diesel is essentially the same as fuel oil. Winter weather means more demand for this petroleum product. Prices go up.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-20-2014, 03:32 AM
glangford glangford is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: US
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 354
Mein Auto: 328d
Diesel also doesn't fluctuate as rapidly as gas prices do. The bottom has dropped out of gas prices. I've seen it now for 2.51 for unleaded regular, premium for around 290. The last time I filled up with diesel it was 3.39. Three months ago diesel was cheaper than premium. I did see diesel yesterday at 3.29, so it is dropping, just not as rapidly.
__________________
2014 328d.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-20-2014, 08:21 AM
dragoncoach dragoncoach is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: SF Bay Area
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 345
Mein Auto: 10-335d/04-SL500/11 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by d geek View Post
Diesel is essentially the same as fuel oil. Winter weather means more demand for this petroleum product. Prices go up.
The US all exports a lot of its diesel production. This in turn keeps the price of diesel up. You would think we would try to take care of our own before sending so much diesel offshore. But, I suppose it's all just business. There would be a lot more diesel cars if the price were around $2.50/gal.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-20-2014, 08:41 AM
Pierre Louis Pierre Louis is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Savannah
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 642
Mein Auto: 2011 335d Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoncoach View Post
The US all exports a lot of its diesel production. This in turn keeps the price of diesel up. You would think we would try to take care of our own before sending so much diesel offshore. But, I suppose it's all just business. There would be a lot more diesel cars if the price were around $2.50/gal.
As per my research, its not that diesel is too expensive, but the price is held higher due to demand for exported USLD, its that gasoline is still what one would call a "waste-product" of diesel production. (When Rockefeller developed his oil business, it was for kerosene which was use to light lamps. As you know, kerosene and diesel are very close. Gasoline was dumped into the ground as a waste product of kerosene production at first!) Gasoline prices are artificially low because there is a surplus and no demand for export. Europe indeed exports its excess gasoline to the US Northeast, so diesel prices will always be higher as a matter of course. This was an unintended consequence of regulations that made ULSD mandatory - it became suitable for export.

Those that argue that diesel is "easier" to refine or that gasoline is a "higher" distillate than diesel don't really know what happens - each barrel of oil "refines" into different types of distillate so that refining one automatically gives you access to the other for much the same cost and complexity. Sure there are things done to gasoline that may be called "more refining" but since diesel now is made into ULSD there is more to its refining than in the past.

In any case, prices are dictated as expected by supply and demand, and the demand worldwide is for diesel.

Also crude oil has different grades and will produce different levels of final product as do different refineries as they are set up.

PL
__________________
Rose Castorini: I just want you to know no matter what you do, you're gonna die, just like everybody else.
Cosmo Castorini: Thank you, Rose. - Moonstruck

Last edited by Pierre Louis; 11-20-2014 at 08:46 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-20-2014, 01:51 PM
SMG_II SMG_II is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Southern California
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 56
Mein Auto: 2008 E92 335i/2002 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveN007 View Post
Local Safeway (Chevron Gas) in Northern California outside of Bay Area. Similarly whacked.


$2.919 reg

$3.039 mid

$3.139 prem

$3.499 diesel


I have a "Hybrid Garage" with 1 petrol, 1 hybrid, 1 diesel, and 1 EV car.

The 335d is finding itself spending less time around town getting 25mpg. That is what the EV is for, so it takes some of the sting out of it.

EV is $.025 per mile for me. $3.50 is 35 kWh and maths out to over 100 mpg. This is a true net number unlike the BS you will see in the media.

I HIGHLY recommend getting a California Compliance car while you can. It is the deal of a lifetime if you fit the profile. My first month electric bill went down by 80 percent of the lease payment on the car INCLUDING the cost to charge it.

The gap has definitely widened between the 335d and our Civic Hybrid which burns regular and gets 30 mpg around town and 40 on the highway at 85 mph.

Just keep reminding yourself that you need to factor in the performance of the car. Compare it to a 335i burning premium and we still come out on top. Plus...the 335d is....SPECIAL .
In Los Angeles, diesel's also running $0.20-$0.30/gallon higher than premium

DaveN007, are you running a solar setup at home by chance?

When you were shopping for an EV, which were your top 3 picks? I have a long commute (60 miles roundtrip) with traffic, so an EV makes a lot of sense. I just did the i3 extended test drive and that car really grew on me! However, I think it's a bit too pricey, and not ideal for our growing family (little one just turned one) since we're trying to just have 2 cars.

The Mrs. drives 110 miles roundtrip against traffic, so I'm thinking a diesel is best for her next car
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-20-2014, 11:04 PM
Hangman4358 Hangman4358 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: SoCal
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 430
Mein Auto: '14 F31 328d SportLine
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattebury View Post
Weird,

Local gas station has:

Regular - $2.999
Mid - $3.099
Premium - $3.199
Diesel - $3.499

Diesel is usually the same price as premium, now it $0.30 higher! At least I'm averaging 38!
For most of the summer diesel was 10 to 15 cents cheaper than regular in Encinitas depending on where you were looking exactly. Especially the shell by the REI. There were times when I was paying under $3 with 20 cents off from ralph's rewards.

I have been out of town for a few weeks and won't be back until Tuesday so I can't say if it has changed much up there. But even living in the Del Mar/Carmel Valley Area I would just time my fill ups with trips to home depot or target or whatever in Encinitas because diesel by the shell at off of carmel country rd and the 56 was always more expensive than premium.

I have no clue how it is further south.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-21-2014, 02:49 AM
DaveN007 DaveN007 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Northern California
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 197
Mein Auto: 2011 335d M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMG_II View Post
In Los Angeles, diesel's also running $0.20-$0.30/gallon higher than premium

DaveN007, are you running a solar setup at home by chance?

When you were shopping for an EV, which were your top 3 picks? I have a long commute (60 miles roundtrip) with traffic, so an EV makes a lot of sense. I just did the i3 extended test drive and that car really grew on me! However, I think it's a bit too pricey, and not ideal for our growing family (little one just turned one) since we're trying to just have 2 cars.

The Mrs. drives 110 miles roundtrip against traffic, so I'm thinking a diesel is best for her next car
I don't have solar. My roof needs to be replaced before we can get it.

This means that getting the EV was a huge win because of the EV-A rate plan we are now on.

I didn't really shop for an EV as much as lease the Fiat because it ends up completely paying for itself. My utility bill reduction plus the rental car credits (I get to use and get expense reimbursement) are greater than the lease payment plus the insurance. The savings versus gas is gravy. That ends up being between $50 and $100 a month on top of the car being free.

I personally like the style of the Fiat and love driving it, but it has a specific purpose. It is awesome for the kind of extended-suburbs we live in. Lots of 35-65mph driving to and from schools, shopping, etc. You could reliably do a 60 mile round trip commute under any circumstances. No worry about AC, heat or lights...you could drive 75mph the whole way.

But then you would NEED the 240v charger installed. That is $500 to $1000 all-in depending on your set-up. This allows you to fully recharge the car in 3-4 hours.

I am generally at about 50 percent when the Fiat goes into the garage. It recharges while I am asleep on 120v and is full in the morning.

The Fiat isn't in the same class as an i3. My parents and brother both have them with the range extender.

I would look at the Fiat, the Leaf and the Kia Soul (seriously). All could do what you need, but you are only going to have another 10 or 20 miles of detour range before the car needs a charge. The Leaf is better on the highway. It feels larger. The Soul does also. i don't mind the feel of the Fiat, but my 16 year-old daughter (drives a Civic Hybrid) finds it "twitchy". She LOVES driving it around the burbs, though.

The Fiat and the Soul are Compliance Cars, so you should be able to negotiate ridiculous deals on them. The manufacturers don't make any money selling them. The government forces them to do so.
__________________
2011 Alpine White on Brown Dakota 335d M-Sport * Premium* Cold Weather * Harmon Kardon * XM
2015 Pearl White Fiat 500e
2015 Laguna Blue Corvette Z06 (Coming Soon)



Last edited by DaveN007; 11-21-2014 at 02:50 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-21-2014, 05:12 AM
DBV DBV is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 147
Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 328d xdrive
In the Cleveland area, diesel is $3.79 (at least in my area) and regular is $2.79. It was even about $1.25 spread a week or so ago. Never have seen the spread that large before. Very frustrating, that oil and regular gas have plummeted and diesel stays the same. Typically, when I travel to Canada, diesel is very similar or even cheaper than regular. Something is wacky with diesel in the US. Surprise that the truckers don't try and revolt against it.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-21-2014, 07:08 AM
MotoWPK MotoWPK is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Colorado
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 223
Mein Auto: '13 128i vert, '14 X5 35d
As pointed out previously, the seasonality of diesel prices runs counter to that of gasoline; diesel demand and prices rise in the fall (largely due to increasing heating oil demand which is a middle distillate like diesel) then falls in the spring, while gasoline demand and prices rise in the spring/early summer as the 'driving season' arrives.

In addition, the long term out look for demand growth is greater for diesel than gasoline. The developing world is adding vehicles at a far greater rate than the developed world with a significant percentage of those being diesel.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-21-2014, 11:22 AM
need4speed's Avatar
need4speed need4speed is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: South Carolina
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,686
Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by d geek View Post
diesel is essentially the same as fuel oil. Winter weather means more demand for this petroleum product. Prices go up.
+1
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-21-2014, 08:53 PM
d geek d geek is offline
diesel evangelist
Location: San Antonio, TX, USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,170
Mein Auto: Volvo V70 + Volvo S80
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoncoach View Post
...There would be a lot more diesel cars if the price were around $2.50/gal.
Or if gasoline was >$5/gal
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-22-2014, 08:14 AM
mattebury mattebury is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Southern California
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 108
Mein Auto: 328d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangman4358 View Post
For most of the summer diesel was 10 to 15 cents cheaper than regular in Encinitas depending on where you were looking exactly. Especially the shell by the REI. There were times when I was paying under $3 with 20 cents off from ralph's rewards.
A bit further north from me, wouldn't make sense for me to fuel up there, but I will remember that if ever I'm up that way. Maybe when my daughter and I make the Disneyland run.
__________________
2014 328d
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-22-2014, 12:57 PM
MarcusSDCA's Avatar
MarcusSDCA MarcusSDCA is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Diego/Point Loma
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 3,525
Mein Auto: 2014 328d M Sport
Just paid $3.34 for diesel at Arco on Linda Vista Road near Genesee. That was way cheaper than several stations in Kearny Mesa (3.59). Still the gap between diesel and gas is huge now....and not the good kind of huge.

I actually take Convoy to Linda Vista to Pt Loma (home) just to pass by this Arco station which always bests the competition. Not to mention stopping at Rockies Frozen Yogurt on the way.
__________________
REALTOR / Broker--CRS,GRI "Selling San Diego One Yard at a Time Since 1986"
http://www.markhoppehomes.com
2014 328d M Sport

Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-24-2014, 01:32 PM
Ninong Ninong is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: USA
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 167
Mein Auto: M3
Here is what we have today (11/24/14) in Southeast Louisiana where the prices are usually about the lowest in the country.

Regular: 254
Middle: 269
Premium: 299
Diesel: 339

So diesel down here is 40 cents more than premium.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-24-2014, 05:53 PM
glangford glangford is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: US
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 354
Mein Auto: 328d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninong View Post
Here is what we have today (11/24/14) in Southeast Louisiana where the prices are usually about the lowest in the country.

Regular: 254
Middle: 269
Premium: 299
Diesel: 339

So diesel down here is 40 cents more than premium.
I paid 3.29 for diesel in AL today!
__________________
2014 328d.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms