Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Do-It-Yourself H.Q.

Do-It-Yourself H.Q.
Share your DIY projects or ask questions about how to fix something on your own. Help fellow Bimmerfest members improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Old 08-09-2010, 09:03 PM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: BMW
How to Change Oil on a BMW X5

Regular oil changes to your BMW X5 3.0i is the best way to ensure strong and long-lasting engine life. Forgetting to change your oil regularly may cause sludge to build up, reduce horsepower and damage your engine. For your BMW X5, you should change your oil when told by the display on your dashboard or approximately every 10,000 miles. Read on to learn how to change oil on a BMW X5.
Step 1

Park your BMW X5 in a clean and open area to work with. Once you have moved your car, make sure that the parking brake is engaged and block the rear tires with wheel chokes. This step ensures that your car won't move while you are working underneath your BMW.
Step 2

Open the hood of the BMW X5. Use the 3/8-inch socket wrench and 36 mm socket to open the oil filler element cap and set it aside. Use a towel to clean out the canister that holds the oil filter in your car.
Step 3

Remove the oil cap from your BMW's engine and go underneath your car. There will be two trap doors, and one of the trap doors contains the oil drain plug. Pop open the trap door using a flat head screwdriver to expose the oil drain plug. Refer to your user's manual for the correct trap door to open.
Step 4

Unscrew the oil drain plug with the 3/8-inch socket wrench and 17 mm socket. Once you have loosened the plug, place the oil pan underneath the your car and continue to unscrew the plug until all of the oil drains out.
Step 5

Put the crush washer that came with your oil filter kit onto the oil drain plug and screw it back in to a torque spec of 18 ft. lbs. or 25 Nm and close the trap door.
Step 6

Fill the car with 7.5 quarts of full synthetic oil and screw the oil cap back onto your car when you are finished.
Step 7

Replace the old oil filter and o-ring on your oil filler element cap. Use the 3/9 in socket wrench and 36 mm socket and screw the it back in to a torque spec of torque spec of 18 ft lbs or 25 Nm.
Advertisement
Old 05-07-2011, 03:56 PM

Send a message via MSN to ssnantucket
Mein Auto: X5 4.4i
This post is great but my owners manual does not show which TRAP DOOR contains the oil drain plug..since I do this at home I do not have a lift where i could probably figure out which trap door hides the oil dran plug...for good or worse there are no telltail oil leaks or otherwise grime to indicate hey this is the oil drain plug...please include video or jpg photos of which one hides the drain plug I have a 4.4i X5 e53 I believe..2001. --thanks