Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:54 PM

Mein Auto: X5
Insane crackeling and static from speakers!

Hi! We just bought a 2007 X5 (new to us). There was some strange static that came randomly through the sound system, but it was infrequent and not bad. The dealership assured us that it would straighten itself out. Well, over time the static/crackling noise has gotten worse. To the point where it is so loud that you have to cover your ears! And we can't turn it off! We have even heard noise when the car is off! We have synced a phone to the car via the bluetooth system, but it is on the approved list. And there is the rub... it is totally random. The car is at the dealership right now and they can't replicate the problem. They cant fix what they can't hear.

Can you provide any insight? We want our X5 back!

Thanks!
-M
Ads by Google
Old 08-11-2010, 03:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
This might be a possibility:

SI B 61 13 07
General Electrical Systems
November 2007
Technical Service

SUBJECT
Electronic Malfunction CC Message Caused by Shorted Wiring

MODEL
E70 (X5)

SITUATION

The customer may complain of one or more of the following:
  • The "Electronic Malfunction" check control message may be displayed.
  • The sounds system emits a static noise from the speakers.
  • The RFK (Rear View Camera) does not pan.
  • The Airbag Warning light may be illuminated.
  • K-CAN communication, K-CAN line and K-Can wire faults are stored in various control modules.
CAUSE
Shorted wiring at the left or right subwoofer speaker mounted under the front seats

PROCEDURE

1. Troubleshoot any faults in the system using the BMW diagnosis system.
  2. Perform the CAN Analysis test plan for any CAN faults in the system.
  3. Check the area of the left or right front subwoofer speakers.
  4. The wiring harness may be pinched by the subwoofer mounting bolts. Refer to the pictures attached to this service information.
  5. Repair the shorted wiring as needed.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:19 PM
Resident Caniac

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 4.8i; 2005 325cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by metadog View Post
Hi! We just bought a 2007 X5 (new to us). There was some strange static that came randomly through the sound system, but it was infrequent and not bad. The dealership assured us that it would straighten itself out. Well, over time the static/crackling noise has gotten worse. To the point where it is so loud that you have to cover your ears! And we can't turn it off! We have even heard noise when the car is off! We have synced a phone to the car via the bluetooth system, but it is on the approved list. And there is the rub... it is totally random. The car is at the dealership right now and they can't replicate the problem. They cant fix what they can't hear.

Can you provide any insight? We want our X5 back!

Thanks!
-M
I had this happen one time. The noise was so loud that my daughter and I had to cover our ears the 5 miles til we got home, and then once the car was turned off, it continued to crackle/scream for several more minutes. Never happened again. Took it in the very next day - "nothing is showing up on the computer diagnostics". I hear this so often that I'm getting a t-shirt made and wearing it in to the dealers whenever I go.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:38 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
1. record it on a video cam/cell phone. Demand that they replace the entire audio system if necessary, but do not accept "there are no codes so we cannot fix it".... bring in your own documented evidence of the fault if you must.

2. Probably the power amp. It can send sound to the speakers independently of the audio system (ie the radio does not need to be on nor does the ignition).. I've had issues with the E39, capacitors go bad and the feedback loop on the amp circuit gets wild oscillations that cause uncontrollable noise.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 4.8 X5
Document the sound with a phone or video camera. I have done that with an intermittent electrical problem, and we are closer to resolution now than we were three months ago.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:59 AM

Well, we just got the car back. The dealer put a bunch of miles on the car trying to replicate the issue and came up with nothing. The dealer was aware of the issue posted in Penguin's post and checked all of that stuff. Oddly, when my wife was pulling in to her spot at work (after retrieving her car from the dealer), the proximity sensor was doing it's thing by warning that she was getting a bit close to the curb when a small amount of static came out. Not a big deal, she said, but...
Old 08-13-2010, 07:28 AM

Today, the car went crazy with static. Luckily my wife had a digital camera with her and she was able to make a video of it. The car is back at the dealer. At least now we can prove we aren't crazy!
Old 08-13-2010, 01:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X5 3.0
I have a 2004 X5 3.0 40k on it. I had the same problem when i bought new. I dont know what dealer it but took couple of visits. Funny yesterday i am driving home and suddenly the problem started again. I wish i paid close attention the first time. Does any have any idea. Can i disable the speakers for right now so could use the car.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:35 PM

Mein Auto: e92
consider yourself lucky. The 2011 x5 stereo comes standard with crackling an static.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:47 PM

No word from the dealer yet. I will post up when I know. I am posting the video with the sound recording. Go here:

Is this what yours sounds like?
Old 08-13-2010, 04:53 PM

Wow ok that makes the 2011 x5 stereo sound like a symphony. Yours sounds like nail's on a chalkboard.

I hope you called Chris immediately!
Old 08-13-2010, 04:57 PM

Yes, Chris is the service manager at the dealer. He is as stumped as we are. I'm starting to hope the lemon law applies to this. So pissed!
Old 08-13-2010, 05:09 PM

When this is happening, have you tried to change the source to CD/iPod/AM/FM, when you change the input does it still occur?

Also if you decrease/increase the volume does the crackling get louder/softer according to your volume adjustment? Or does it always stay the same volume?
Old 08-13-2010, 07:12 PM

We tried all of that. Nothing changes the sound. Can't turn it off. This even happens when the car is parked and turned off!
Old 08-13-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
I'm starting to hope the lemon law applies to this.
Lemon laws vary by state, but I think they only apply to new cars, not used.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:58 AM

I think i found my problem..not sure how but there is water near the driver side in the trunk. I started cleaning, took out some connections. lets see if something got already burnt...
Ask the dealer to check for water signs... Last time when i had the same problem the sunroof leaked.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:35 AM

I always wonder why techs seem to be at such a lose diagnosing things such as this.

If it was me, I would first narrow it down by disconnecting the input to the power amp, to determine if a static signal is being feed into the amp, or if the power amp is doing it. Can you tell if the static sound is coming from all the speakers, or just some?
Old 08-14-2010, 01:30 PM
Resident Caniac

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 4.8i; 2005 325cic
Quote:
No word from the dealer yet. I will post up when I know. I am posting the video with the sound recording. Go here:

Is this what yours sounds like?
Yes, that was what mine sounded like. Brain jarring, for sure.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:10 PM

Mein Auto: M6 convertible
Metadog
Has your problem been fixed. I have the same annoying sound in my car. Have a call into dealer to setup a time for servicing. Static occurs only once every 2 weeks. Would be nice to have a solution to problem before bringing the car in for service. Will give the SA the bulletin number listed earlier in the thread.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:12 PM

My problem resolved. The panorama roof drain hole was jammed and the rain water was leaking through the roof into the back area of the trunk were all the electronic componets are loacted. Once i cleand and removed all connections and let in dry for a week and reconnected everything was working fine.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:57 AM

Mein Auto: M6 convertible
Mine appears to have resolved by deleting old iphone (have a new one) bluetooth pairing.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:52 AM

Mein Auto: City
I have same problem,intermittent crackling from speakers. Dealer originally stumped. We googled and found this forum and the suggestion that maybe it was power amplifier and related to roof leak. We told dealer and guess what. The drain line from the sunroof was plugged and there was water pooling around the amplifier in the back left rear. Dealer has partially cleared the line but believe there it is still leaking and they need to remove the roof liner to do more checking. The good news is the amplifier is ok and just needs to dry out. The bad news is the dealer wants us to authorize a 10 hr - $1300 potential charge to remove the roof liner and further analyze the problem with no guarantee that they will fix the leak for this amount of money. I have talked with another body shop and the owner there said given the appearance of this problem on this forum it sounds like the problem may be a factory defect and if so the BMW would pay for it. I am wondering if anyone who has this problem has gotten BMW to pay for it? I have also asked to talk to BMW's factory rep and apparently access is a closely guarded privelage. Dealer referred me to national phonen number, i.e. BMW customer relations and BMW customer relations referred to dealer. I do appreciate any comments on who paid for it. Thanks.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:52 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EC1000 View Post
I have same problem,intermittent crackling from speakers. Dealer originally stumped. We googled and found this forum and the suggestion that maybe it was power amplifier and related to roof leak. We told dealer and guess what. The drain line from the sunroof was plugged and there was water pooling around the amplifier in the back left rear. Dealer has partially cleared the line but believe there it is still leaking and they need to remove the roof liner to do more checking. The good news is the amplifier is ok and just needs to dry out. The bad news is the dealer wants us to authorize a 10 hr - $1300 potential charge to remove the roof liner and further analyze the problem with no guarantee that they will fix the leak for this amount of money. I have talked with another body shop and the owner there said given the appearance of this problem on this forum it sounds like the problem may be a factory defect and if so the BMW would pay for it. I am wondering if anyone who has this problem has gotten BMW to pay for it? I have also asked to talk to BMW's factory rep and apparently access is a closely guarded privelage. Dealer referred me to national phonen number, i.e. BMW customer relations and BMW customer relations referred to dealer. I do appreciate any comments on who paid for it. Thanks.
Are you under warranty?

If no, BMW will NOT pay for it- defect or not! (They may, but it would be 'good will' and is far from assured).

Being a "common problem" or "being reported in many forums and other people got it covered becase they were under the 4/50 warrnty" is NO guarantee.

Having said this, I do not trust a dealer that says it is "partially clogged" and they need 1300 to figure it out. Also, if the amp got wet, contacts WILL corrode. Do not trust a BMW dealer to know WTF they are doing with electronics. Their fix for dirty contacts? Replace the amp and harness. Serious.

Get more details on what PRECISELY they have done. Part numbers/names of the clogged items, etc. Go to realoem.com and look at pcitures of the drains...understand what they are saying and doing. Go from there.

And do tell us if you have a warranty

A
Old 08-24-2012, 10:57 AM

Mein Auto: City
Unhappy

Thanks. You are confirming my concerns. No warranty here and the dealer does get excited when they hear that.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:42 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

I've heard of people using water, air and sticks/wire to unclog.

BMW has tried to say "you failed to maintain it", to deny under warranty...but the BMW stated maintenance fails to inform anyone that this IS a maintenance item.

If it were me, I'd take the time to understand where the drains are. There are online parts drawings. Then open the sunroof and inspect these. You should be able to see the holes. Does water drain? etc. Blow air, water. Dont rip anything. Once you have that clear and water is not pooling at the amp, be done with it. Drive for a few months, after heavy rains inspect the amp area.

I have never give a BMW dealer approval for anything more than a CPO deductible... and dont plan on it.

A