Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 08-11-2010, 07:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 740i Sport
01 740iL - Dash error lights all on

Hello all BMW owners! I signed up to this forum because I am in need of assistance and advice. I am fixing up a 2001 BMW 740i for my uncle. The car was in an accident that had the whole front end busted up but no air bags were deployed. Just the other day I put it back together enough to fire it up (minus body panels, hood, bumper, and headlights.) It started fine, like it was running just yesterday. The only problem is I have all the possible lights eluminated on the dash, it's like a christmas tree. SES, ABS, ASC+T/DSC, DBC, battery and Airbag. Yes, this is my worst nightmare. Please if any one can help lead me in the right direction in any of these problems I will be happy to listen or read for that matter. If anyone needs more information I can provide that as soon as I can so I can troubleshoot this. Once again any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Ads by Google
Old 08-12-2010, 08:07 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E38 750iL, A6 (4f) Avant
Low battery charge or dead cell often gives these kind of issues.

Sign by Danasoft - Get Your Free Sign

Old 08-12-2010, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi View Post
Low battery charge or dead cell often gives these kind of issues.
Thanks for the reply. I did a test of my charging system using a multimeter I noticed the Voltage before the car is started is 12.2V - 12.3V. Once I start the car the battery voltage DROPS to 11.6 - 11.93V. This is an alternator from an autowrecker I bought because the old one was smashed up. Do you think this could be the problem?

Thanks again..
Old 08-13-2010, 12:57 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E38 750iL, A6 (4f) Avant
Under charge from your alternator, your battery should be getting up around 14V or higher but those at-rest figures look ok.

I'd take your battery to a shop to get it checked out because that would be the easiest first step.

If that's ok, then I guess you can be pretty sure it is the alternator - by process of elimination.

Sign by Danasoft - Get Your Free Sign

Last edited by Adi; 08-13-2010 at 12:59 AM.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi View Post
Under charge from your alternator, your battery should be getting up around 14V or higher but those at-rest figures look ok.

I'd take your battery to a shop to get it checked out because that would be the easiest first step.

If that's ok, then I guess you can be pretty sure it is the alternator - by process of elimination.
Thanks for writing back Adi. The battery is brand new but I went and tested it to make sure. It passed! So now I must replace the alternator. Do you think I can just replace the voltage regulator on this alternator? I've read on one of the forums that someone did do that and it fixed the problem. I did take apart my old busted up alternator and it is quite easy to get to the voltage regulator, just remove the pulley, 4 screws, and a nut. In my opinion that would be a $75 (with shipping) fix than spending 400+ on an entire complete unit? I also did the cluster unlock and did a voltage test just to see how the voltage was behaving and the voltage before starting was 12.9V and after I started it it dropped to about 11.9 -12 V and stayed there. I'm hoping if I fix the charging all the other warning lights will disappear. Thanks again for writing back.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:07 AM

I took the alternator apart and am debating whether it is the voltage regulator or diodes. I did try to check the diodes using a multimeter by checking the resistance on each but don't know what good diodes produce as resistance. Any one know what I should be looking for in bad diodes? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 08-17-2010, 02:41 PM

I've replaced my alternator for a rebuilt one. It is now charging as it should but the rest of my lights are on except for the charging lamp which is off. Any help where to look would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Old 05-02-2012, 05:38 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 740il
Low voltage

I am experiencing similar problems.. when I rev the car, the interior lights gets brighter... Another thing is, the alarm keeps going off by itself... car feels a little sluggish. I have a bran new alternator (140amp) bran new battery (110v).. dont know how to stop the alarm from going off by it self.. one of the key is damaged, remote dont work...