Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 01-30-2017, 06:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5L
Cylinder 6 not working

I'm new to this so please be patient with me.

I have a 2004 bmw x3 2.5L manual transmission. I was driving 75mph on highway when all of a sudden I lost total acceleration capacity. The vehicle sounded like it was running rough and was not able to fully accelerate unless dropping to 5th gear and running it at 4k rpms. I was 2.5 hours from home on the weekend with no good options. I stopped into Autozone and had them read the possible codes due to engine light being on ( which has been on for a while now and yes, ive payed to have fixed and yet a new code arises shortly after fixing).
Autozone read codes for misfire chamber 5 and bank 1 and 2 lean. I changed coil pack due to changing spark plugs few weeks before. Misfire code disappeared and continued driving. Drove nicely for about 45 min and then it repeated with losing full acceleration. Had codes read again and the only ones were the Bank 1 and 2. I made it home running 5th gear at 4k rpms. Now it runs like this all the time. I had a friend troubleshoot switching coil packs along with spark plugs. There was no change in engine idle after unplugging 6th coil pack. My friend said that its apparent to him that there seemed to be no activity with cylinder 6. The vehicle has 115k miles. Do you guys think that it's a high probability that the piston head is ruined. Or do you guys think it's most likely a fuel injector issue? The spark plug seemed to have quite a bit of oil on the end. My buddy also said that when taking the oil dipstick out it smelled of possible fuel. Has anyone had this issue and if so could you possibly give me some insight.
I'm new to this forum and forums in general so I apologize if this isn't kosher forum format.
Advertisement
Old 01-30-2017, 07:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewrmcbride View Post
I'm new to this so please be patient with me.

I have a 2004 bmw x3 2.5L manual transmission. I was driving 75mph on highway when all of a sudden I lost total acceleration capacity. The vehicle sounded like it was running rough and was not able to fully accelerate unless dropping to 5th gear and running it at 4k rpms. I was 2.5 hours from home on the weekend with no good options. I stopped into Autozone and had them read the possible codes due to engine light being on ( which has been on for a while now and yes, ive payed to have fixed and yet a new code arises shortly after fixing).
Autozone read codes for misfire chamber 5 and bank 1 and 2 lean. I changed coil pack due to changing spark plugs few weeks before. Misfire code disappeared and continued driving. Drove nicely for about 45 min and then it repeated with losing full acceleration. Had codes read again and the only ones were the Bank 1 and 2. I made it home running 5th gear at 4k rpms. Now it runs like this all the time. I had a friend troubleshoot switching coil packs along with spark plugs. There was no change in engine idle after unplugging 6th coil pack. My friend said that its apparent to him that there seemed to be no activity with cylinder 6. The vehicle has 115k miles. Do you guys think that it's a high probability that the piston head is ruined. Or do you guys think it's most likely a fuel injector issue? The spark plug seemed to have quite a bit of oil on the end. My buddy also said that when taking the oil dipstick out it smelled of possible fuel. Has anyone had this issue and if so could you possibly give me some insight.
I'm new to this forum and forums in general so I apologize if this isn't kosher forum format.
You sound like me and thank God there are more 04 X3 members besides me.

It sounds like you and are going through the same issues. I found out it was my transmission and I need to change the fluids. Once I did that, I no longer had ti change the gears in order to get home. Before the fluid change and they recommend two changes either the same day or a month apart in order to be successful but it works and I do need my part done because Im starting to feel it coming on again and I work 30 mins from my house via highway only.

See if that works and keep us posted.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 01-30-2017, 07:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5L
so the 6th cylinder not working is due to transmission needing a fluid change?? I have a feeling that might not be the issue. It's running rough even at an idle. The minute I started my vehicle my buddy said it sounded like a misfire.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewrmcbride View Post
so the 6th cylinder not working is due to transmission needing a fluid change?? I have a feeling that might not be the issue. It's running rough even at an idle. The minute I started my vehicle my buddy said it sounded like a misfire.
Make sure they are using the right spark plugs. When my mechanics looked at my spark plugs before the transmission issue, they found the wrong spark plugs for the car and that was my problem. Things done by the previous owner and not me. I go to BAPGEON for BMW parts.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Bimmerfest mobile app

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
2004 x3, 6th cylinder not firing, m54, x3

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search