Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 04-27-2016, 10:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
Rough idle Code P0014

Just finished replacing water pump,thermostat and OFHG on 06 X3 115,000mi.
Run good for 20 mins.then started vibrating at idle and SES lite come on.Code
reader showing P0014 .Something to do with timing bank #1.
Also throwing code for thermostat after a new one was installed.Can`t figure out what is wrong...Any ideas out there???Thanks.
Advertisement
Old 04-28-2016, 05:58 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: bmw++many
FESTCHIVE on that code etc

some good learnings .....double check your work on the cooling system etc...best wishes

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=510952

Mein Auto: E46 330i ZHP
View My Garage
I just replaced the seals this past weekend and I've put 75miles on the car. The idle is still rough and the SES is still on. I reset the code last night and the SES came back on this morning. I'm really at a loss here. I refuse to throw money at it when I don't even know it'll work.

LeePayrot had the P0014 code but his root cause was directly related to the coolant error code he was ALSO getting. When he fixed the coolant issue, his timing issue went away.
Starless had the P0014 code also, but his code went away after changing out the seals and cleaning the solenoids.

I've been using Mobil 1 0W-40 and a Mann filter for more than 50K miles. It's impossible for this issue to stem from the type of oil I'm using. At this point, my assumption about the electrical connectors must be wrong, because my issue clearly isn't with the seals.

Does anybody have any helpful ideas?

9 PM

Mein Auto: E46 330i ZHP
View My Garage
RESOLUTION:

I didn't want to throw money at the problem, so I took my car to the dealer so they could precisely identify the issue. At that point, I could replace the necessary part to fix the root cause. After some extended discussion with the techs we all felt very confident the issue stemmed from the exhaust solenoid/actuator. ---- So I removed the valve cover and VANOS unit... again. This time I removed the exhaust actuator and immediately noticed the mechanical "solenoid" had completely seized. There was plenty of oil surrounding it, but for some mysterious reason it had frozen in place. I freed it with pliars and put it right back in. It clearly had free range of motion now. ---- Assembled everything and it now works perfectly. Light went off and it now runs smooth as glass.

Just to be clear... The new VANOS o-rings seemingly had no effect on my issue. Yes, the new VANOS piston rings may have some positive influence toward the overall engine's performance, but again, it had absolutely no effect on my P0014 issue. The P0014 code was directly and solely related to the seized actuator.

In hindsight, I'm glad I did all this reasearch... but I would've saved a boatload of time and effort had I just paid attention to the wording on the OBD II code. There's still some ambiguity around the exact language there... but for the most part the OBD II code perfectly identified the root cause. Nonetheless, thanks to everyone for all the help and knowledge. Hopefully, this thread can help someone else.

Last edited by swampX3; 04-28-2016 at 06:04 AM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search