Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 07-11-2016, 06:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 540i/6 Tisilver/gray
'07 GM6 trasmission no reverse issue (UPDATE) 7-15-16) FIXED

Guys, I know you have heard of this "No reverse" condition on many E83 X3's. Well, ours has the classic same issue. All other forward gears work but no reverse.
I'm pretty certain that it's the infamous "6245 manual valve" actuator Rod breakage. Need to replace P/N 24 33 7 617 803 Rod. I have found a couple good write ups with pictures but wondered if anyone knows of a video some where showing this procedure?

https://wiki.bentleypublishers.com/d...d%2C+replacing

Thanks

UPDATE
OK, Got under the X3 today, dropped the transmission pan & inspected the Shift Actuator Rod & sure enough it's broken. See picture below. Ordered parts (seals, gasket & rod) & hope the rest goes well. Wish I didn't need to drop Valve body but no way to get the rod in without taking it out.
Will need to grind the front end of Torx socket as mentioned in the wrtie up.

Last UPDATE 7-15-16
Finished with new Actuation rod installation & all is working well. Guess time will tell.
If anyone should find them selves in this situation, I would make a couple suggestions to the instructions found at the Bentley site. They are very good but leave small details out.
1. I would remove the out side connector at back of transmission before removing & installing the valve body. It just makes it a little easier to install the valve body. For me, I was on my back trying to line up the connector pins while trying to position the VB on to the (2) locating dowels.
2. It also doesn't tell you that the new Actuator Rod needs to be positioned so that the plastic end into the metal side pin of the shifter mechanism. I got the VB in place & screwed in when I realized that the actuator was out of position. Here you can remove (4) of the VB bolts, leaving the (2) closes to the rear conn. end still holding the VB but loosened with maybe an 1/8" threads still engaged to where you can slide the actuator rod slot on to the pin.
Feel free to contact me if you need any other info. Hope this help others.
BTW, took 6 qts. to fill up the transmission at this point.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160712_171728.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	570249  

BMW CCA #132981 Tarheel Chapter,

Last edited by rav31; 07-15-2016 at 03:56 AM.
Advertisement
Old 07-12-2016, 05:42 AM

Mein Auto: bmw++many
No Reverse FESTCHIVE treasure chest of info

post 30 for part numbers and all the rest for view,study and inwardly digest before job start ....best wishes

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...5&goto=newpost
Old 07-12-2016, 05:55 AM

Mein Auto: bmw++many
academic transmission links

this is ZF ....BUT ....if you big screen/apple TV or whatever this stuff and relax with a cold one on the couch you will learn beaucoup tips and skills from this great tech ....watch all his stuff .....here is your first link to a six speed ZF

complete set of transmission links

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWa...yLyQ7zjW9LF-xg

Last edited by swampX3; 07-12-2016 at 05:59 AM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search