Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 08-31-2014, 07:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 3.0
Transmission fluid and filter change 2005 3.0 liter automatic

Hi guys
Working on drive train fluids this weekend. Got almost to the end on the transmission after replacing filter and gasket and and had an issue I'm not sure about. When I was doing the final fluid add with the engine running I saw some liquid around the pan gasket and thought I had a leak. Got out from under the car and and turned it off - without replacing the fill plug on the transmission - dumb. Probably lost half a quart of fluid once I shut it off. I guess that's why you do the final fill with it running.

Anyways I ended up with a clear liquid dripping from the pan near the full plug. It had rained on and off all day and I was running the AC to bring the engine up to temp so maybe condensation? It definitely wasn't ATF and looked like water.

Anyone ever deal with anything like this?

All I can think to do is run it back up to temp tomorrow and add more fluid and see if the clear liquid shows up. My car is in the garage with a dehumidifier running so maybe that will help.
Ads by Google
Old 09-01-2014, 04:30 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 330i, 04 X3
Did it come from inside your transmission fluid pan or just near it? I would assume it's your air conditioning condensation line draining.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-01-2014, 06:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 3.0
Dripping over the edge on the pan on both sides of the fill plug - rear passenger side. I think it must be from the AC. Thanks

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-01-2014, 10:41 AM
roys4x4

Mein Auto: X3, LR Disco, F250
one way valve

high humidity and a/c and heat will give you h2o from the drain that you have and it's not clogged. that's a good thing as some vehicles have a one way rubber tube that's flatten on the exit side do clog up over time.
roy
it's a good thing to locate and check out when you under the vehicle's passenger foot well as it's usually in that area or forward of it.

Last edited by Roys4x4; 09-01-2014 at 10:44 AM.