Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 08-13-2010, 08:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i, 2010 535xiT
Our new 535xiT with some comments / observations

We have been owners of our 2010 535xiT for a few months now and wanted to share some comments and observations. First, it still seems a little surreal how it all came about. I started to look (think) about replacing our 2001 Audi allroad, but was not in a big hurry. Liked the 5 series wagon but seemed a little much $$. Then during a service visit with our 330i, was informed about the $6k incentives going on at that time. Knowing at this time it was too late to order a new one, I asked what is out there in Alpine White (for our daughter) and with M sport (for me). I was surprised that about 7 or 8 wagons came up with this match that were not spoken for (in various stages of transit - not on a dealer lot).

Knowing no more 5 series wagaon's were planned to be imported, and after thinking about it over a course of a week we decided to go for it (also a little surprised that my wife said OK). By the end of the week, only about 1 or 2 of these wagon's were left. We went with one that probably had some added options that I don't know I would of ordered my self - but I think we are glad we now have them.

Heads Up Display. One of the options that I don't know I would have ordered - as I had thought it might be just an expensive distraction. We have found it to be quite the opposite. Not a distraction at all. Very nice to have the speed indicated low on the windshield. Seems old fashion to have to look at an actual speedometer when we are in our 330i. Also very nice to have the navigation info on the windshield display as well - and not have to look at the idrive display.

Ventilated Seats. Another option that probably would not have ordered - but has been nice over the summer with the black interior. The fans are a little noisy and would not consider it to greatly cool the seats - but does help some.

Comfort Access. An option I wanted which we don't have on our 330i. A nice feature when it works right. It seems like a lot of the time I stand over the car - which feels like minutes - running my finger on the door handle trying to get the door to unlock. The same thing trying to get the door to lock. I think I am following the directions indicated in the manual - but it just seems temperamental. On the other hand - when washing the car - it seems when water gets anywhere near the door - the car locks and unlocks all the time.

Navigation. For the most part I think it has worked pretty good. Not hard to set up, etc. but have found some weird glitches that I have read some other posts that appears others have been having. For some reason it does not recommend taking an exit off the freeway that is nearest to our home. It shows the exit on the screen but for some reason never wants us to take it.

Compass in Mirror. Kind of like the compass in the mirror of our 330i, but don't quite understand why they don't provide one in the 5 series. The only compass indicator I see is a small arrow in the corner of the nav screen - that just points to the north direction. If you don't have navigation - do you don't even get this arrow?

iDrive controller and Shift level location. Rather minor but for me personally, I find the shift level a little too far forward and the iDrive controller a little too far to the rear. I find the location in the new F10 a little better - as they are both side by side. I wish steering wheel shift paddles were an option - but don't think they were on the wagon.

Overall, we have been quite please with the wagon thus far. Plenty of room for trips with our daughter and two dogs. Pretty good mileage on the highway - about 25 mpg. Fun to drive - handles pretty good - not quite on par with our 330i (with sports package) - but still fun. And very fast. HUD is nice for this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P5082058.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	242097   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3558.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	242098  
Advertisement
Old 08-13-2010, 11:11 PM
U of Dawgs

Mein Auto: 08 535iA Spt/11 X5 35i
Congrats!

Re: Comfort Access. An option I wanted which we don't have on our 330i. A nice feature when it works right. It seems like a lot of the time I stand over the car - which feels like minutes - running my finger on the door handle trying to get the door to unlock. The same thing trying to get the door to lock. I think I am following the directions indicated in the manual - but it just seems temperamental. On the other hand - when washing the car - it seems when water gets anywhere near the door - the car locks and unlocks all the time.

Yes the wagon's CA is temperamental... there are threads here that discussed that. You need to keep the CA remote away from your car as it will do exactly what it is doing to you when doing your car wash; moreover, it tends to drain your battery faster since your car computer cannot hibernate (sleep) when constantly "handshaking" with the remote.

-----------------------------------
Nube1Kenobi
2011 X5 35i Sport Activity|Plat Gray/Beige/Dk Poplar|Conv Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Tech Pkg|Prem Sound|Comfort Seats|Hitch|
2008 535i Mon Blue/Dakota Blk/Dk Poplar|Sports Pkg|Prem Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Nav|RTTI|PDC|L7|HD|I-Pod/USB|PWR Rr shade|Sports Auto - paddles|Active Stg|Comfort Access|F/D R/seats|Rr DMS Airbags|Adaptive Xenons

Do not argue with an idiot else he lowers you to his level and beat you down with experience..
Old 08-14-2010, 07:09 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.s View Post

Comfort Access. An option I wanted which we don't have on our 330i. A nice feature when it works right. It seems like a lot of the time I stand over the car - which feels like minutes - running my finger on the door handle trying to get the door to unlock. The same thing trying to get the door to lock. I think I am following the directions indicated in the manual - but it just seems temperamental. On the other hand - when washing the car - it seems when water gets anywhere near the door - the car locks and unlocks all the time.
If you are literally "running your finger on the door handle", you are supposed to touch the inside left of the indentation where you would use a real key, to lock/unlock. The rear doors work differently than the front doors. Our 3 series works by just grabbing the handle but the 5 series front doors have that single point next to the keyhole.

By the way, I was looking at the dwindling supply of 535xi Tourings at the same time you were and decided to do it.
2015 M4 Convertible Sakhir Orange
Old 08-14-2010, 07:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i, 2010 535xiT
Quote:
Originally Posted by innovativeit View Post
If you are literally "running your finger on the door handle", you are supposed to touch the inside left of the indentation where you would use a real key, to lock/unlock. The rear doors work differently than the front doors. Our 3 series works by just grabbing the handle but the 5 series front doors have that single point next to the keyhole.

By the way, I was looking at the dwindling supply of 535xi Tourings at the same time you were and decided to do it.
I think I am following the proper procedure - grasping the door handle to unlock and touching the inside portion of the key insert area to lock the doors. I will say it works as designed most of the time. It just seems like a fair amount of times I am standing over the door grasping the handle as designed, but it just will not unlock the doors. Eventually it will work or I may just end up pulling the key out of my pocket and unlock with the remote. The same goes from time to time trying to lock the doors. Are the wagon's more temperamental than the sedans?
Old 08-17-2010, 05:37 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix Sport Wagon
My story is almost identical to yours.. I wanted a 2011 535xiT and began to research the vehicle in the first quarter only to find no 2011's would be imported. I really wanted a manual transmission, M sport with the upgraded sound system and in Alpine white, if possible. I found a Carbon Black E61 at the port and actually bought it and was writing the contract when I found out is was sold only the day before. So, long story short, I found an Alpine White M Sport and immediately bought it (auto transmission, unfortunately).

I absolutely love this vehicle - my first BMW automobile (although I have owned a BMW motorcycle before) - I have been a very loyal Audi fan having four previously. Audi did not have the option for a manual transmission in the A6 wagon which got me looking at the BMW and I found I liked it better the more I looked at it.

My only criticism is the interior leather - I believe the Audi was a notch or two better. That said, the rest of the interior, the sunroof, the handling, the stereo and the overall look - the 535 wins hands down. Such a fun car, just wish it was a 6 speed - my timing was a bit off - i wish I started looking a bit earlier, but we can hope BMW comes around and sells the T in the US again in time for its replacement (you can always hope).

BTW - I did look at the GT and absolutely hated it...it seems like a truck. The car towers over the wagon - not sure why, but it really looks like a SUV. Not my cup of tea, but to each their own.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2010 535xiT.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	447.9 KB
ID:	242500  
Old 08-17-2010, 05:41 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.s View Post
I think I am following the proper procedure - grasping the door handle to unlock and touching the inside portion of the key insert area to lock the doors. I will say it works as designed most of the time. It just seems like a fair amount of times I am standing over the door grasping the handle as designed, but it just will not unlock the doors. Eventually it will work or I may just end up pulling the key out of my pocket and unlock with the remote. The same goes from time to time trying to lock the doors. Are the wagon's more temperamental than the sedans?
I paid more attention to it today and I noticed the same inconsistency as you have experienced. My father has a 535xi sedan and does not have that problem but that may just be coincidental.
2015 M4 Convertible Sakhir Orange
Old 10-08-2012, 02:06 PM

Mein Auto: porsche 911sc
maybe selll my 530xit stick

i have been trying to replace it since i have run out of the cpo warranty, and want a 2010 535xit stick but can't find one. i have 85000 miles and although car has been perfect am worried about repair costs out of warranty. can't find anything with a stick worthy to replace it. any thoughts? also, what do you think the car should fetch in the market - i think stick wagons like it are very rare so there should be a good premium. thx
Old 10-08-2012, 04:32 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535i + 535XI wagon
Adding stick shift to a twin turbo car is not necessarily that ideal. The power comes from boost, which originates from the waste gates. So if you let off the gas to shift with a clutch, the rpms go down and so does the pressure you are feeding the turbos. That is why the racing crowd get better performance with the auto transmission. Boost stays elevated while gears are shifted via a torque converter.
This is the first non manual car I have ever owned, so I struggled with the switch for a long time. But I have to say the car is just so easy to drive and I rarely even use the paddles (in my sedan.) The car shifts so smoothly and intuitively, and it downshifts as soon as you blip the throttle a bit. This is all exaggerated a bit since both my wagon and sedan are tuned. The added power negates the need for much gear shifting.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:54 PM

Mein Auto: 525i
I am looking for a 535xiT M sport.. particularly in white. Anyone want to sell theirs?
Old 05-22-2013, 09:34 PM

Mein Auto: 08 535 xit
Everything is for sale.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:39 PM

Mein Auto: 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLO03 View Post
Everything is for sale.
your car an M sport?
Old 05-22-2013, 09:58 PM

Mein Auto: 08 535 xit
No but has oem m tech bumpers . But dose have sport package..