Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 08-14-2010, 07:55 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: A redhead E90
96' 328i ...power window issues

I've had some problems with window circuits before, but this one has me stumped. my rear power windows work up,down whatever. the front windows are up and dont move. the passenger side window switch is sending juice to the relay because i can hear it click, the drivers side switch doesnt. i pulled the pass. side door panel and glove box, i dont see any relays in there, i do see a black box and that sounds like where the clicking is coming from, at the connector on the pass. side window motor i have power going to pin number 1 but none of the other pins. ...im thinking its going to be a while before my windows work again. also my FSU for the blower motor is out... and its summer in missouri. FML

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj.surr View Post
Drop the clutch, proceed and ain't care.
  • '06 325xi 6MT
Advertisement
Old 08-14-2010, 08:35 AM

i attached some pictures of what im looking at, so maybe someone more knowledgeable can point me in the right direction
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg
Views:	651
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	242120   Click image for larger version

Name:	008.jpg
Views:	689
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	242121   Click image for larger version

Name:	009.jpg
Views:	1120
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	242122   Click image for larger version

Name:	010.jpg
Views:	908
Size:	174.6 KB
ID:	242123  

Quote:
  • '06 325xi 6MT
Old 08-14-2010, 04:36 PM

I'm sending it to the BMW dealer, im not pulling the dash apart to reach the comfort relay or reprogramming the ZKE

Quote:
  • '06 325xi 6MT
Old 08-15-2010, 09:27 AM

Mein Auto: 98 328 cabriolet E36
I had the passenger window stuck at the top. Based on information I received from various sources, it can sometimes be thebrushes in the power window motor which are worn. By giving the motor a few taps, probably not very hard, the motor came back to life and worked properly. I eventually put in a used motor.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:55 PM

eh the motors are working i jumped them with some wire and a spare car battery, my comfort relay isnt the problem, i ripped my dash apart at midnight last night because i was bored and couldnt sleep... im pretty sure its the window control box under the passenger dash. and i dont know anything about that so its going to the local dealership and they can fix my damn FSU wiring that melted from the previous owner too... electronics were never my strong point... i lack patience

Quote:
  • '06 325xi 6MT
Old 08-21-2010, 10:48 AM

Mein Auto: 96 M3 Coupe
Hey Kdoherty,

Sounds like you might be able to help me understand whats wrong with my 96 M3 Coupe. Just the other day without warning my passenger window stopped working. My driver's side window works perfectly but when I press the passenger window all I hear is that clicking sound in the door.

What steps did you end up going through to troubleshoot? Is it as simple as just having to replace the power window motor? or is there more of an electrical problem ya think?

thanks for your insight
Old 08-21-2010, 11:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1993 325i sedan m3 clone
I had same problem. Except all my windows stopped working but the sunroof worked. Check your comfort relay ( light blue relay understeering column) or try the window circuit breaker button next to your ignition switch.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyNavyPSU View Post
Hey Kdoherty,

Sounds like you might be able to help me understand whats wrong with my 96 M3 Coupe. Just the other day without warning my passenger window stopped working. My driver's side window works perfectly but when I press the passenger window all I hear is that clicking sound in the door.

What steps did you end up going through to troubleshoot? Is it as simple as just having to replace the power window motor? or is there more of an electrical problem ya think?

thanks for your insight
The way I went about doing it was process of elimination, first I checked my fuses, it should be a redish 30amp fuse, secondly I swapped out the window switches with some spares I had, that didn't work so i removed the door panels and probed for power at the motor with a 12 volt test light, I saw that I had power going to the motor so I grabbed a spare car battery and some wire and jumped the window motor circuit to see if the motor worked or not, once I verified the motor worked i went to the comfort relay under the drivers side dash, it's pretty easy to get to. That's where I stopped, I didnt have a spare relay to swap in place of it, and according to the diagram i was using its listed as a "high beam circuit" relay even though it's a dead match for this so called "comfort relay" I ordered one from the $tealer and I'm still waiting for it, if that doesnt fix it, I will probably need the window control module which is behind the glove box, also pretty easy to get at

I hope that helped you a little. my problem is the front windows dont work, and the rear windows and sunroof DO... so im pretty sure its the relay or the control box... i should probably check that window locking switch though...

Quote:
  • '06 325xi 6MT
Old 06-06-2011, 02:55 PM

Mein Auto: 99 323i Convertible
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdoherty View Post
The way I went about doing it was process of elimination, first I checked my fuses, it should be a redish 30amp fuse, secondly I swapped out the window switches with some spares I had, that didn't work so i removed the door panels and probed for power at the motor with a 12 volt test light, I saw that I had power going to the motor so I grabbed a spare car battery and some wire and jumped the window motor circuit to see if the motor worked or not, once I verified the motor worked i went to the comfort relay under the drivers side dash, it's pretty easy to get to. That's where I stopped, I didnt have a spare relay to swap in place of it, and according to the diagram i was using its listed as a "high beam circuit" relay even though it's a dead match for this so called "comfort relay" I ordered one from the $tealer and I'm still waiting for it, if that doesnt fix it, I will probably need the window control module which is behind the glove box, also pretty easy to get at

I hope that helped you a little. my problem is the front windows dont work, and the rear windows and sunroof DO... so im pretty sure its the relay or the control box... i should probably check that window locking switch though...
Hi Kdoherty, I have this exact issue. My back windows work fine, but my front windows are up and wont move. Did you get this fixed in the end? It would be great if you could let me know what the problem was.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:23 PM

Sorry, I never ended up fixing it. I brought it to a dealership and they diagnosed it as "bad window guides" but I thought they were full of sh!t and just had them repair my sunroof. windows still dont work lol. however I am biting the bullet later on this year and getting them done.

Quote:
  • '06 325xi 6MT
Old 06-06-2011, 08:40 PM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
Something you two can try that worked on my '95 318.....the DS window went up and then wouldn't come back down. It was like it had locked up. It was obvious it was getting power, since the interior lights would dim when I tried to operate it, and when I opened or shut the door it would momentarily pull a load on the alternator when the window tried to do the drop-and-return thing. After having the door panel off for a while and getting nowhere, I pulled the wiring harness plug off the window motor and used a battery charger to apply power directly to the motor to test it. Once I got it to move to the bottom of it's travel I reconnected the harness and used the window switch to run the glass back up. I held it there for five seconds, then ran it back down to the bottom and did the same thing, which reset the limits of travel for the auto-up and auto-down. The window has worked ever since. Now the PS window is stuck all the way up and doing the same thing....loading the electrical system when you open and shut the door. I'm going to take the panel off and try the same treatment. I'll report back the results.
buying a ratty example (of a BMW) is a parasitic relationship.(and you ain't the mosquito) 7pilot

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Last edited by hornhospital; 06-08-2011 at 05:12 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:44 PM

this sounds great Ken, I'm waiting intently. hopefully it could save me a few hundred bucks.

Quote:
  • '06 325xi 6MT
Old 06-08-2011, 02:26 PM
Sometimes Out To Lunch!!!

Mein Auto: 1993 318i 1994 325i 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdoherty View Post
i attached some pictures of what im looking at, so maybe someone more knowledgeable can point me in the right direction
Your looking in the right area for the relay (comfort relay) when you find it pull it out and take the cover off of it look at the solder joints on the board and you'll find that they are loose. Resolder them and you'll be happy again. I had the same exact problem, did what I told you to do and now I drive with a smile on my face.....good luck

Last edited by Time2Fly; 06-08-2011 at 02:29 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:51 PM

Mein Auto: E36 318i
Sorry to revive an old thread... But did you guys ever figure out what was the issue of your windows not working?

I've tried everything:
All fuses are ok
Window Switches are ok
Door micro switches are ok
I replaced the ZKE Module and nothing came out of it
I hot wired the motors to the battery and they ran just fine
Rear windows work flawlessly
I checked the comfort relay and saw no broken joints

What I can't get to work:
Both front windows from the inside
Light doesn't come on when the doors open
Door lock bottom from the inside is unresponsive

I'm at a complete loss and this is the only thread that I've seen with my exact issue and I've dug deeeep into the internet for answers haha

Thanks for any help guys.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:53 AM
D'oh, You kids!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thevic View Post
Light doesn't come on when the doors open
That right there might point to part of the problem. I think the door microswitch circuit is bad.

By the way, since I see I failed to report back, here's an update on the 318.....both windows now refuse to work. Power to the switches, power at the motors, lights dim when you attempt to move the windows down due to heavy draw, but no movement. I guess I'm looking at two new window motors.
buying a ratty example (of a BMW) is a parasitic relationship.(and you ain't the mosquito) 7pilot

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 08-03-2014, 12:26 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 325is
Found solution for window stuck in down position

Thought I would share my success in fixing the window in my 1995 325. After trying several tricks like holding the window button in the up or down positions for 10 seconds with no success and several other things, I happened to push the door shut from the outside somewhat forcefully and kept a bit of pressure on it, and the window jumped up about 2 inches! I then opened the door, thus triggering the retraction of about 1 inch, so I started opening and closing the door repeatedly, each time gaining two inches and losing one. After about 20 cycles, I successfully got the window to the full up position. It's been working fine ever since as well. The secret seems to be to shut the door firmly and to keep pressure on the door sill, pushing down and in at the same time. Not sure why this works, but it did.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:51 PM
D'oh, You kids!

That worked because your door microswitch is worn out. By holding the door shut you forced the switch to trip/close. Before then the car thought the door was open all the time.

BMW-CCA #441426
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?