Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 08-15-2010, 01:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 50i
Ordering New X5 - Choice of Seating?

I am planning to order a new X5 in the coming days and want to make the best choice of driver/passenger seating. I am rather big and heavy and wish to get the most comfortable and durable seats possible - avoiding the deep buckets with thigh supports on either side that will pinch at first and eventually be broken/worn down. Unfortunately, the local dealer has nothing on the lot that would allow me to compare and the BMW website photos don't offer enough to make a full comparison. Choice is between standard, multi-contour and sport (or something custom, if there is anything available). Any "big guy" X5 owners out there who could offer me some advice? thx
Advertisement
Old 08-15-2010, 05:53 AM

Mein Auto: 10' 750li, 11' X5 3.5D
I have the multi contour seats in both my '11 X5 and '10 7Li. I say, "Buy these or you'll regret it." They are some of the best seats in the industry and worth every penny they cost. I'm 6'4", 220lbs and 52y/o. They fit me perfectly. I even had custom Recaro seats made for my Porsche Turbo and I don't like them as much as the bimmers. The only gripe I have is the ventilation system that is supposed to cool the seats is there but pretty meager. Others have said the same thing. Hope this helps.

John

Presently---
'12 650i, Metallic Sapphire Black,
'12 750XLI, Loaded Individual, Metallic dark blue
'11 Audi R8 Spyder V10

Previous--
'11 X5 3.5d, Metallic Sapphire Black,
'10 750 Li, Metallic Sapphire, Black, Loaded
'07 M6, Silverstone
'07 650i, Mineral Silver Metallic, Cream Beige Leather, Cold Weather pkg,, Sport Pkg, Steptronic, Comfort Access, HUD, Sirius, & L7 Sound
2007 Z4M Coupe Saphire Black Metallic
2004 X3 Grey
2003 330i Red
1988 528e Gunmetal
1979 320i Black
Old 08-15-2010, 06:57 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 13 X3 3.5, 14 640i GC
Get the multi contour or "comfort" seats....

Ditto the above reply. I am 6'1" 240lbs and the adjustments available are pretty much infinite. Particularly on long drives, the minor tweaking you can do to things like bolstering, seat bottom length, top of seatback articulation, etc. provide for the most comfortable seating I have ever experienced.

You really need to go to a dealer that has these seats in a car so you can experience them. I consider them a "must have".
Old 08-15-2010, 07:00 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
ya...lif you drive a lot and long get the multi contour...

otherwise base are legit.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35D
Multi-contour seats all the way. In agreement with everyone else.

2011 X5 35D, Premium, Cold Weather, Nav, Tech, Premium Sound, Sat, Rear Climate Package, Roof Rails, Space Saver Spare, Multi-contour Seats, Space Grey/Black

Totaled: 2010 X5 35D, Premium, Cold Weather, Nav, Tech Package, Premium Sound,Sat, Rear Climate Package, Roof Rails, Space Saver Spare, Space Grey/Black

Retired: 2007 530i Premium, Cold Weather, Step, Black Sapphire/black dakota
Old 08-15-2010, 07:51 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
I have found the standard seats to be more comfortable than the multi-contour seats, as the multi-contour seat bottoms have a deeper bucket than the standard seats, and surprisingly, there is no adjustment for the seat bottom side bolsters. I highly recommend you find some way to try the multi-contour seats. I did not, figuring they would certainly be as adjustable and comfortable as the seats on my 1992 Explorer, and was disappointed when I discovered they had no adjustment for the seat bottom bolsters.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:38 AM

Mein Auto: 08 528i, 10 x5 35d
multi-contour is the way to go, IMHO
Old 08-15-2010, 11:55 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
I have found the standard seats to be more comfortable than the multi-contour seats, as the multi-contour seat bottoms have a deeper bucket than the standard seats, and surprisingly, there is no adjustment for the seat bottom side bolsters. I highly recommend you find some way to try the multi-contour seats. I did not, figuring they would certainly be as adjustable and comfortable as the seats on my 1992 Explorer, and was disappointed when I discovered they had no adjustment for the seat bottom bolsters.
to Be honest.. I love that rigid base seat. I wish I could keep that feel and tweak it a bit. The way my body sits in a car I don't use any of the adjustments of the multi-contour.

No matter what car I had they came with it and I never really changed the settings. However I probably would get multi contour if I take road trips every month or something. After a long drive, the ability to change variable helps.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 330CiC
We just purchased an X3 with the comfort seats. My wife is very picky about seats and she loves them. This is her daily driver and she really appreciates the ability to set her seat exactly like she wants it. I understand the concern about the seat bolsters. Our vert has the sports package and the seat bolster can be bothersome. I am not small, 6'3" and 250, so even I find the comfort seats to be that, comfortable. They will definately be in my next BMW.
2004 330CIC Silver Grey Metallic, Premium Package, Sports Package, CPO (Retired)
BMWCCA member
Old 08-15-2010, 02:11 PM

Mein Auto: e46 m3
As long as you DO NOT GET THE Sports Activity Package you will be ok...(I actually prefer the Sports Seats, but then I am only 175#s)