Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 08-20-2010, 07:26 AM

Mein Auto: F10 550i
All I can say is that I'm dumbfounded that some people say their ventilated seats work fine but on my car it is not even noticeable. The SA said he could feel air blowing but it is ever so faint.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:58 AM
Over 20 years owning BMWs

Mein Auto: 2012 535i M-Sport
At max speed (3 blue lines) it should barely be perceived. You want this to just keep you cool and dry, not to give you pneumonia!

Have you tried it on for a few minutes? It is very easy to tell they are on because of the leather smell coming from the seats, and if set to 3 bars, you can actually hear the blowers.
2012 535i | Built 8/259/07 2011 | Delivered 10-15-2011 | Carbon Black | Oyster Black Dakota Leather | M-Sport Pkg | Luxury Seating Pkg | Premium Pkg | Premium Sound Pkg | Technology Pkg | Sport Auto Trans. | Split Fold-Down Seats | Heated Seats | Side & Top View Cameras | Heads-Up Display | BMW Apps | Black Panel Display | Trunk Lip Spoiler | Roof Spoiler | Quad Exhaust | AirBlue Tint | Turner Wheel Spacers | Euro Plates | Hardwire V1 w/BOB | Media Cradle | Debadged | Kitchen Sink Pkg...
Old 08-20-2010, 12:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_c View Post
At max speed (3 blue lines) it should barely be perceived. You want this to just keep you cool and dry, not to give you pneumonia!

Have you tried it on for a few minutes? It is very easy to tell they are on because of the leather smell coming from the seats, and if set to 3 bars, you can actually hear the blowers.
It's almost imperceptible, but it definitely works. Keep in mind, this is not A/C for your arse. First of all don't think of it like the seat warmers that can literally fry your buttocks crispy like a hashbrown. It's more akin to air and circulation to keep the humidity off of your backside. It's much easier to transfer heat through leather, then any type of cooling. You can't push that much CFM through a seat, because, the leather is only semi permeable, and you can't put any type of a/c through it due to condensation from temperature fluctuations that would trash the leather.
Also, the type of clothing you are wearing has some effect on how much air is passing through the system. I run a lot and I notice that when I am wearing running gear (that's all synthetic material) the fans have a hard time passing through the dense weave of the fabric. When I am wearing normal cotton or wool street clothes, I can definitely feel the air passing through my clothes easier.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 SL63
My Escalade has air conditioned seats and they are amazing, the seat is literally cool to the touch and it keeps you from sweating at all. My S550 works like you guys say, it is there and it helps, but you need to look for it. I would certainly prefer if it was like the slade...

2015 S550 Anthracite blue, Silk, loaded and doin just fine...
2013 SL63 AMG black....
2012 750IL x drive, imperial blue/oyster, a finely loaded beater car...
2014 GL350 loaded for the wifey...
2012 650 Cabriolet M sport (gone)
Old 08-27-2010, 02:35 PM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
They have them Alex ..... the Aeron chair !!

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 08-28-2010, 08:28 AM

Mein Auto: '14 428i vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilner View Post
My Escalade has air conditioned seats and they are amazing, the seat is literally cool to the touch and it keeps you from sweating at all. My S550 works like you guys say, it is there and it helps, but you need to look for it. I would certainly prefer if it was like the slade...
Great another expensive option BMW is behind the performance on. There GPS is awful in my 08' 650i.

Now I am not sure I will waste the money on it even though I am in Florida.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:49 AM

Send a message via AIM to Ronsell
Mein Auto: 2011 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealh View Post
Great another expensive option BMW is behind the performance on. There GPS is awful in my 08' 650i.

Now I am not sure I will waste the money on it even though I am in Florida.
That is one beautiful car, Neal...
Old 08-28-2010, 09:33 AM

Thanks. I love it. It's a 3 yr lease due back Jan 2011. Not sure what I am getting to replace it.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealh View Post
Great another expensive option BMW is behind the performance on.
No, the performance is not behind on this option. It works perfectly for its intended purpose. There is finesse in the way it cools you down. Quiet, nice, really nice. I enjoy this every day and I miss it every time I drive a different car while traveling.

I don't want an AC type blower down my back and bottom. I leave that for an Escalade.
2012 535i | Built 8/259/07 2011 | Delivered 10-15-2011 | Carbon Black | Oyster Black Dakota Leather | M-Sport Pkg | Luxury Seating Pkg | Premium Pkg | Premium Sound Pkg | Technology Pkg | Sport Auto Trans. | Split Fold-Down Seats | Heated Seats | Side & Top View Cameras | Heads-Up Display | BMW Apps | Black Panel Display | Trunk Lip Spoiler | Roof Spoiler | Quad Exhaust | AirBlue Tint | Turner Wheel Spacers | Euro Plates | Hardwire V1 w/BOB | Media Cradle | Debadged | Kitchen Sink Pkg...

Last edited by alex_c; 08-29-2010 at 05:43 PM.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:35 PM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
Quote:
No, the performance is not behind on this option. It works perfectly for its intended purpose. Ther is a finesse in the way it cools you down. Quiet, nice, really nice. I enjoy this every day and I miss it every time I drive a different car while traveling.

I don't want an AC type blower down my back and bottom. I leave that for an Escalade.
One unintended consequence is that it spoils you for other cars. When you drive or sit in other cars with no seat ventilation you feel taint sweat. Nobody wants that.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
No, the performance is not behind on this option. It works perfectly for its intended purpose. Ther is a finesse in the way it cools you down. Quiet, nice, really nice. I enjoy this every day and I miss it every time I drive a different car while traveling.

Maybe not full blown AC but nice cool air. Air circulation in Florida will be of small benefit
Old 08-29-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:

It never gets too cold and you can adjust it by three levels. All manufactures should do it the way Caddy does it.

I also wish I could get heated seats in a BMW or MB like the Escalade. Three levels of adjustment for the bottom and back of the seat independently. Sometimes I just want some heat on my back when it is acting up, I miss that option in my car...

2013 SL63 AMG black....
Old 08-29-2010, 02:48 PM

Mein Auto: 650i and 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilner View Post

I also wish I could get heated seats in a BMW or MB like the Escalade. Three levels of adjustment for the bottom and back of the seat independently. Sometimes I just want some heat on my back when it is acting up, I miss that option in my car...
The heated seats on the 5 do just what you want, as you can set the distribution between the bottom and back, and driver and passenger seats can be modified separately. Just go into the iDrive to set it.

Old 08-29-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff650 View Post
The heated seats on the 5 do just what you want, as you can set the distribution between the bottom and back, and driver and passenger seats can be modified separately. Just go into the iDrive to set it.
Awesome! I can't wait to get this car. I should order it this week, working on the numbers now...

2013 SL63 AMG black....
Old 08-29-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff650 View Post
I didn't know that! I did not had a chance to play with the seat heating option with 100+ degree weather in Houston this month...