Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 08-15-2010, 11:29 AM

Mein Auto: bmw m3
wheels offset

Hi guys!
I'm going to buy a set of Forgestar F14 Front 19x9 Rear 19x10 Offset +35 front and back but I'm not sure if the offset is proper for an e46 M3.Could you help me?Thank you!
Ads by Google
Old 08-16-2010, 07:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3
Stock offsets for the E46 M3 are 47 front and 25 rear. With the increased width, I suspect you will be OK in the front but I think you will need a spacer and longer bolts in the rear.
BMW CCA #115780
'14 X3 35i M sport
Old 08-31-2010, 07:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 M3
It's been recommended to me to stay away from spacers and I quickly agreed by my own assessment. It's only going to make the connection of wheel-to-car weaker. Longer bolts are surely weaker when they pass trough the spacer with just their thread and the spacer introduces another shear-held interface (and one subject to greater leverage, no less).
I would want to get appropriate wheels from the start that do not require modification to fit... this is a very important connection, after all.

Last edited by Slyde; 08-31-2010 at 07:29 AM.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:15 AM

Mein Auto: M3 E46
You will not need any spacers with an offset of +35. Everything will fit but the position of the tyre in relation to the fender will not be the same front to back. The front will be pushed outwards towards the fender giving you a wider front stance (will reduce understeer). The rear will be 10 mm further inwards (away from the fender). A spacer can be used to make it look better but 10 mm is virtually not noticable.
I use a square set up for my track car with a +35 offset.
As long as you have spacers smaller than 15 mm you will have no issues regaring weaking wheel to car issues, but you are right getting a set of rims which do not require spacers is always the first choice.