Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 08-16-2010, 12:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 525i station wagon
Car Soft Questions

I'm looking at laptops for work and also going to purchase the Carsoft software for
my car. Will Carsoft enable me to do a couple of things like for instance --reset
my adaptation settings and also would I be able to raise my idle rpm by like 50
rpm's per min--just wondering what I might be able to do concerning the tuning
of my engine with software such as this--could one reprogram the DME?
Advertisement
Old 08-16-2010, 01:17 PM

Mein Auto: '01 540i6, '94 325is
First question yes Carsoft can reset adaptations. It's reprogramming of th dme is really limited to things like locking the doors when you get up to speed, USA to European seatings, etc. To reprogram the DME you still need something more like DIS/SSS. Carsoft hardware can allow you to run INPA and DIS however . You can look up the procedures for this install.

2001 540i - Orient Blue

M5 bumpers, wheels, mirrors
S/C, water/air IC
A1 Headers, Random Technology Cats, Eissenmann Exhaust
3.15 diff, evosport power pullies
Koni Sports, Eibach Springs/Sway Bars
Old 08-16-2010, 03:02 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by bricas45 View Post
First question yes Carsoft can reset adaptations .
FWIW, there's a specific Bimmerfest E39 thread on just what Carsoft can and cannot do.

You won't do better than to look that one up.

Even resellers of Carsoft had posted to that thread to clear up misconceptions about what it does and doesn't do.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:04 PM
WTB - your E39 M5

Send a message via AIM to andyffer
Mein Auto: 02 530i, 09 335d
ehh just get a GT1

If you're not a ******* at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a ************ at forty you have no brain.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
What Andy said.
A friend of mine has the Carsoft and we played a bit with it. Seems decent, but then we discovered a few bugs - it throws some errors concerning the oil pressure if I'm not mistaken. Also, it cannot access all the modules. Then, later on we found out that it could mess your adaptation values for good (I know you can store the original/OEM, but God knows how these knock-off Chinese software really work). This kinda scared my friend from using it, so now he is talking me into buying a GT-1 (together of course). This I might give a try.
Also, what Donna suggested. There might be some "decent" knock-offs which will not mess your car up (Carsoft $$ < GT-1 $$)
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby
Old 08-16-2010, 06:14 PM

Sounds like Carsoft isn't what I'm looking for---I want a program that can tune the engine for what I want
it to do--sorta like in the old days when you could advance timing and mess with the carb so as to create
more power--or set everthing up for more better mileage
Old 08-16-2010, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolman View Post
I'm looking at laptops for work and also going to purchase the Carsoft software for my car.
Hi Poolman,
I found the thread that explained what Carsoft does and doesn't do. It's here.

Bear in mind, the discussion got so heated at one point that the moderators (I guess it was them) removed some of the posts because there was a discussion of what the pirated Carsoft would and wouldn't do.

For example, the pirated Carsoft wouldn't reset the door lock feature but the real thing did reset the door lock feature.

Anyway, there's the thread (what's left of it) for you.
Good luck!
Old 08-17-2010, 04:32 AM
Bimmerholic

Mein Auto: 2001 530 SP/PP/CWP/Slush
Also don't forget you need an older PC: i.e. one with Win XP and (harder) a serial port.

2001 530 Steel Blue Metallic, purchased Dec 03
SP/PP/CWP/Slushbox (I know I know)

OEM M5 bumper, 40% Huper Optik ceramic tint, Dice Silverline Pro iPod adapter, 540SP radial spokes, Zimmerman Z-Coat rotors w/ Hawk HPS pads
"Mods": driveshaft, cooling system, Vanos, CCV, PSR, VCG, FSU, spark plugs, buncha belts-n-hoses, & other things I'd just as soon forget

BMW CCA member for 12 years
Old 08-17-2010, 05:18 AM

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
poolman,

The diagnostic tools at the dealer cannot "reprogram" the DME as you wish to do, only download patches from BMW AG.

There are a few "tuners" (e.g., Dinan) who have spent much time and money to disassemble the firmware in the DME to modify it to their needs.

The Shark comes close to what you want, but, it, too, just downloads a fixed patch. Reports from users of the Shark do not reveal quantum leaps in performance.

These engines are so well optimized that you need to extensively modify them to extract significantly more power. Supercharging and nitrous oxide are two proven routes to more power.

BTW, there is an old TSB that allows the dealer to bump the idle RPM by 100, for those who complain.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

Last edited by edjack; 08-17-2010 at 05:19 AM.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:43 AM

Well--looks like I live with what I have and head to the dealer and have the adaptation values reset and see
if they can bump my idle up a bit--checked the idle last night and it's around 715--to--720. I thought the idle should be around 750---it doesn't get there with or without the air conditioner on ----Hmmmmmm
Old 08-17-2010, 04:19 PM
resident, old fart

Mein Auto: 2002 540i sport
I just received my updated Carsoft (8.4). As others have said, Carsoft can not raise the idle, advance timing, or anything even remotely like this. NO TUNING- just reading and clearing. The only thing in the way of programming it can do is auto door locks and a couple of other "features" you could specify to you dealer if you were the first owner.

Blue Bee is absolutely correct in that people who had pirated Carsoft 6.5 found that some of the features that a "legit" copy of Carsoft can do, their pirated software would act-up or only work through the 20 pin under-hood socket or whatever. They made false claims that Carsoft would not do this or that, but it was their pirated software. Carsoft 6.5 was NEVER sold to the public EVER! Anyone who is not a dealer who claims to have Carsoft 6.5 has a pirated copy. 7.3 was the very first version of Carsoft that was mass marketed to the public. The 6.5 software has been pirated so many times it is hard to believe it still does anything!

I tried all the "add a serial port" cards and such that emulate a serial port, but found less-than good results. I now use my IBM notebook with XP and a real serial port. The consumer versions of Carsoft are 7.3-8.0-8.4. Not all that much functional difference between them except that the latest versions will add newer cars that it can work with. I think 8.4 is basically good to 2006's- I can't recall for sure as I don't care, buying it only to use on my E39. The documentation is a little lacking in my opinion.

Last edited by 540iman; 08-17-2010 at 06:37 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:37 PM

That settles that--I'll go to the dealer and pay the money to have the idle set up and what ever updates that
are out there to be incorperated into the DME----dang--all computors should be able to talk to each other
with ease--guess ya gotta learn their language instead of they learning ours.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540iman View Post
I just received my updated Carsoft (8.4)..
That post has got to be the BEST succinct explanation of what Carsoft can and cannot do! I added it to the bestlinks thread along with the other Carsoft (closed by the moderators) thread so we can refer to it in the future when someone asks.