Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:19 PM
What to do...?

Mein Auto: 128i
Just placed an order for a 128i!

I just ordered a 128i. Now the wait begins!

(September build)
128i manual
AW/Terracotta/Aluminum
Value Pkg
M Sport Pkg
Convenience Pkg
Moonroof

Quick driving impressions (128 v. 135):

At first, I was set on getting the 135 but after several test drives, I found that the 135 had so much power that most of it was hard to use efficiently as a daily driver. I was constantly hitting the brakes--only because pressing the gas was so much fun. The 135 has a more positive and firm brake feel. It rides a little more substantially probably due to the added weight and wheel size. Overall, driving was like an exercise in practicing restraint.

The 128 is better balanced and more toss-able. The 128 still had a solid and premium feel though. It has plenty of power and is more fun to rev--maybe because I wasn't looking at the speedo or scanning for cops. The 128 reminds me a lot of my old ZHP. My only complaint is that I wish the gearbox was as good as my Civic Si.

Ads by Google
Old 08-17-2010, 04:58 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335i
Recently took delivery on a very similar 128. You will love it!
dhc3
Old 08-17-2010, 06:22 AM
Ahh! Spring Weather!!

Mein Auto: E90, Porsche 911, VW GTI
Yes. The 135i has power that's hard to tame and can get you into serious speeding trouble. It's probably a better car for Europe than the US.

Yet I'm insane enough to want one!

Porsche: Accept no substitute, unless you're poor!

The E90 sedan is the last in the line of great 4 door 3 Series BMW's. Too bad.

"The VW GTI remains and will likely continue to be one of the finest compact sports cars in the world." Christian Seabaugh, Motortrend, March 27, 2012.

06/02/2005-03/02/2014: 8.75 great years on Bimmerfest!!!
Old 08-17-2010, 07:02 AM
Bon Vivant!

Mein Auto: 2010 MB SLK & BMW 135i
I also feel the 128i would make a better purchase for the American road. The car has plenty of power, and the Sport Pkg has the upgraded suspension so handling should be equal. I thought the 6-spd would be pretty good too?
Old 08-17-2010, 07:36 AM
Ahh! Spring Weather!!

The MT is the better choice. The car will accelerate faster than with the AT.

Any x28i vehicle is a smart choice. I have a 328i and it provides all the power any sane, responsible person needs, and then some!

"The VW GTI remains and will likely continue to be one of the finest compact sports cars in the world." Christian Seabaugh, Motortrend, March 27, 2012.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:58 AM

Mein Auto: '11 128i, '05 Range Rover
I am picking mine up on Aug 23rd - looking forward to the trip. Alpine White/Coral Red/Black Gloss 128i... MT with Sport Package, and some very basic doo-dads.

Same logic... 128i appealed to me for its overall balance (I think, I was also influenced by the Edmunds Inside Line road test - usually, automotive journos are always praising more power, but when I heard lots of praise for the 128i from these very same folks, my mind was made!)...

Plus, BMW has been doing a NA inline 6 for a really really long time... so I feel more comfortable with that power plant, than with their efforts with the Turbo.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:57 AM
Ahh! Spring Weather!!

The inline 6 has proven itself to be more reliable than the twin turbo in reliability studies and also from posts on BMW forums.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:13 AM

Mein Auto: M-Sport128i 328xiT 3.0CS
Sounds like the same reasons that I bought a 128i. It even has the same top speed as the 135i.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:27 PM

I have had my 335 for about a year and a half; daily driver and I do love it. It will have it's first track day soon.
Took delivery on the 128 at the Performance Center; it's my wife's daily driver. It has more usable power, and is actually often more fun to drive because you can actually use the throttle. The x35 models, while they sure do put a smile on your face when you can really stomp on it, are almost too powerful for real fun on the roads.
But I guess that's why I am off to Road America next week with the 335.
dhc3
Old 08-17-2010, 01:44 PM

Mein Auto: 135i
This whole usuable power thing is funny, It's like saying that a V6 camaro has more usuable power because your not braking as often. Of course the your gonna be braking more in the 135i because in the same amount of space you'll be a good 10-15 mph faster than the 128i, hence the bigger brakes.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:03 PM
Ahh! Spring Weather!!

Sure wish they would make interstate speed limits 90 mph, so I could do 100!

Old 08-17-2010, 02:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 128i convertible
Had mine for over a month now. already 6 000kms on it. Graduated from a 2001 Ford Mustang V6 convertible to this car. No regrets so far. In my case, no need for the 135i. Plenty of everything in the 128i......
Old 08-17-2010, 06:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 128i
Civic?

I'm on my fifth BMW. I had three 3-Series, a Z3 and then Chris Bangle entered the picture and I bought a Mini Cooper S. As of last Saturday, I now own a 2011 128i. I had spec'd out a 128i earlier this summer and just happened to see the exact car on the dealer lot so good bye Mini. Anyway, my car is space gray, coral leather interior with a six speed manual. Got the premium and cold weather packages with aluminum interior trim.

I think the 1-Series has plenty of power and I'm happy to have rear drive again once again. Front wheel drive just can't match the performance of real drive. I think the 1-Series is everything that the 3-Series used to be. As far a transmission goes, Civic, are you kidding? The transmission is light years better than anything Honda has ever produced, including the SI. All the Honda gear boxes are all hydraulic and dreadfully soft, mushy affairs. My only criticism of the 128i is that the exterior has a "squashed" look to it.

Scrubbly

Last edited by scrubbly; 08-17-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:49 AM
Bon Vivant!

Mein Auto: 2010 MB SLK & BMW 135i
I will be buying the 135i Coupe with DCT as soon as it get de-Bangelized; I can't stand the droopy sides of the current car! Regarding power, I remember John Coltrane telling Miles Davis he couldn't stop playing his horn. Davis told him to take it out of his mouth!

I need the power, because I always have some moron in a Camaro, 370Z, Lexus, Mustang, or Infinity next to me in the left lane trying to beat me out to the freeway entrance up ahead. I plan on getting a very conservative color and perhaps wearing my Darth Vader outfit as I drive around town!
Old 08-18-2010, 10:23 AM

I've had my 128i for 4 days now and I really like it. I was considering a new JCW Mini with with the tuner kit but that kind of power in a FWD is lost to torque steer. I'm glad to be back to a rear wheel drive for the performance and grin factor. Plus I am very impatient and don't want to wait 60 to 90 days for another spec car.

I lucked out on my car as I found my exact spec on the dealer lot. I've driven nothing but manual all my life and now a days it is very difficult to get an manual now unless you order it with a stick. So, I was very lucky to find this car.

Last edited by scrubbly; 08-18-2010 at 10:26 AM.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubbly View Post
I've had my 128i for 4 days now and I really like it........

I lucked out on my car as I found my exact spec on the dealer lot. I've driven nothing but manual all my life and now a days it is very difficult to get an manual now unless you order it with a stick. So, I was very lucky to find this car.
Congrats on your car! You were very lucky to find it; prior to ordering ours we did a national dealer search thru our dealer and turned up 2 manual trans sport package cars in the entire US.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:57 PM
What to do...?

Quote:
As far a transmission goes, Civic, are you kidding? The transmission is light years better than anything Honda has ever produced, including the SI. All the Honda gear boxes are all hydraulic and dreadfully soft, mushy affairs. My only criticism of the 128i is that the exterior has a "squashed" look to it.

Scrubbly
Well... better "feel" from the perspective that the gear selection seems more positive, like the shifter is slotting into the proper gate, albeit at the cost of feeling tied to something mechanical (i.e. hydraulic). The BMW has that "gears-and-synchros-moving-into-place" mechanical feel that while a little vague at times, builds a nice connection with the car. I'm sure after a few hundred miles, I will get used to it and change my opinion.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woohoo View Post
Well... better "feel" from the perspective that the gear selection seems more positive, like the shifter is slotting into the proper gate, albeit at the cost of feeling tied to something mechanical (i.e. hydraulic). The BMW has that "gears-and-synchros-moving-into-place" mechanical feel that while a little vague at times, builds a nice connection with the car. I'm sure after a few hundred miles, I will get used to it and change my opinion.
Well, I guess it is all pretty subjective but I couldn't disagree more.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:59 PM

Mein Auto: 128i - On Order
Woohoo - You ordered your 128i on 8/16? I ordered mine on 8/19. I ordered: White, Premium PKG, M Sport PKG, Conv PKG, Value PKG and it's manual.

My 128i was out of production on 9/2 and has been awaiting transport ever since then. I think it will get on a ship 9/13. I can hardly wait!!!!

Congratulations on you're car!
Old 09-11-2010, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woohoo View Post
woohoo,

Well, I've had my 128 for exactly one month. I've been driving mostly 3-Series for the past 20 years and I think I like this "Bimmer" the best. I haven't driven the car too aggressively for the first thousand miles but I think the "One" has better performance and handling than all my previous 3-Series . Regarding the six speed, I think it is extremely smooth. Not intended as a criticism but perhaps a bit too smooth, silky smooth.

Scrubbly

Last edited by scrubbly; 09-11-2010 at 07:13 AM.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 911 C2S
Waiting for my daughter's 128 (Blue Water)
Ordered 8/14 now "en route to preparation center"
Old 09-12-2010, 09:05 AM

Mein Auto: 128i MT
Ordered my BSM 128i MT 2 weeks ago. Treading the various forums in the meantime (for ideas on winter tires, rear lip spoiler ...)
It's supposed to be Sept production w/ arrival some time in October (dealer said late October).
I think I'm going to explode waiting.

Last edited by mangledlftthumb; 09-12-2010 at 09:07 AM.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:19 PM
What to do...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa108 View Post
Woohoo - You ordered your 128i on 8/16? I ordered mine on 8/19. I ordered: White, Premium PKG, M Sport PKG, Conv PKG, Value PKG and it's manual.

My 128i was out of production on 9/2 and has been awaiting transport ever since then. I think it will get on a ship 9/13. I can hardly wait!!!!

Congratulations on you're car!
Thanks... you too! Mine should be built by the end of this week. The wait is killing me!
Old 09-13-2010, 11:22 PM
What to do...?

Quote:
woohoo,

Well, I've had my 128 for exactly one month. I've been driving mostly 3-Series for the past 20 years and I think I like this "Bimmer" the best. I haven't driven the car too aggressively for the first thousand miles but I think the "One" has better performance and handling than all my previous 3-Series . Regarding the six speed, I think it is extremely smooth. Not intended as a criticism but perhaps a bit too smooth, silky smooth.

Scrubbly
Post pics!
Old 09-14-2010, 06:04 AM

Mein Auto: 128i convertible
I like the feel of my 128i manual but I do not think my late wife would have liked it as much. The effort required for the gear selector is not high by my standards but I think she would have felt it is high. While I like the mechanical (instead of diconnected) feel, I also like it when it smoothed up when I changed the fluid to Red Line MTL. I would wait 1200 miles or so and then do a breakin change of the rear end and transmision to red line. The rear end is a little challenging since you have to siphon the old fluid out (no drain plug) and the fill plug is a little difficult to get a torque wrench on. The transmission I found to be easy. The gear shift is still quite connected and direct but it feels a little smoother now with the MTL.

Jim