Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 08-17-2010, 06:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW X3
2008 X3, yellow brake light, SRS light, 4x4 service light all on

Hey everyone,

I have a 2008 X3 with 62,000 miles I just picked up.

I'm now getting the Airbag (SRS), 4x4 warning light, and yellow brake warning lights, see attached photos.

I checked the cables under both seats and tried to ensure all visible plugs are fully seated. I have the cheapo 1.3.6 china scanner and getting a traction control, ABS, and SRS code. The SRS code won't reset using the scanner.

The lights all went off today on the drive to work, now they're back on. Sometimes the the 4x4 and yellow brake light goes off for a while, then finally the SRS light. I charged up the battery last night in case low voltage was the issue, but saw the same issues today, any other ideas?
Advertisement
Old 08-17-2010, 07:02 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Did you buy the vehicle as a CPO? I would suggest taking it back to the dealer. Usually electronic hiccups like this are due to a dying battery, but your vehicle is relatively new so perhaps the battery is defective.

The DSC and Brake warning light indicate that xDrive and/or DSC has failed and that Dynamic Brake Control has also failed. The SRS light obviously indicates a fault with the restraint system.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:10 PM
Aficionado

Mein Auto: '05 X3, '95 M3, '89 MkI
Hi,
I remember seeing a thread or two on this some time ago, I want to think that disconnecting and reconnecting the battery cured the problem but I'm not positive, do a search on this forum and invest some time reading through the threads.
If not, that's a fault on the DSC/Xdrive systems and only dealer or a BMW specialized shop can diagnose. How.s the car driving?
Old 08-17-2010, 07:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstud4ubaby View Post
.... any other ideas?
We need Owl to report back on what the dealer did in the same circumstance as yours:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=475167

The knowledgebase only gets built up when we hear the final solution for these odd occurrences,
that seem to happen mostly to new owners of previously-enjoyed X3's.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:25 PM
Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercourse View Post
We need Owl to report back on what the dealer did in the same circumstance as yours:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=475167

The knowledgebase only gets built up when we hear the final solution for these odd occurrences,
that seem to happen mostly to new owners of previously-enjoyed X3's.
See post #7, lights went away by themselves.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:06 PM

Update on original post

@AzNMpower32 - No CPO here, I didn't want to pay for the warranty.
@X3-terrestrial - car is driving perfect!

Other updates:
I talked to the dealer and he thinks it's the battery. Come to think of it, I was detailing the car the weekend before the warning lights started coming on, perhaps having the doors open and courtesy lights on for 1-2 hours might have drained the battery down to an unstable voltage.

CKautogroup offered to replace the battery for FREE which is awesome, I'll probably take them up on it since, well, why not?

I talked to another professional and he thinks it's the ignition switch. Although, the warning lights have gone off and stayed off for a day now, I'm not sure ignition switches get flaky, then aren't flaky all of a sudden.

The problem has subsided for now and I still want to say it was due to low voltage. Yet, I charged the battery overnight and observed the issue the next day so that cause doesn't entirely explain the issue.

Chris
Old 08-21-2010, 07:05 AM

Mein Auto: LCI X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstud4ubaby View Post
......perhaps having the doors open and courtesy lights on for 1-2 hours might have drained the battery down to an unstable voltage.
Chris
You can turn the courtesy lights off with the doors open. Just open all the doors you want open and push the dome light switch. They will stay off until you open a door. If the hatch is open you'll have to wait for the cargo lights to time out which takes about 20 minutes.

You can also play the radio without the key..... Just push the radio power button. It will time out in about 20 minutes so you'll have to keep pushing it to keep it playing longer. The steering wheel controls don't work but all the radio buttons do. If you have the iPod cable in the glove box that works too.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 3.0
Not sure if this is the same situation that you are experiencing. But, I thought I'd post my experience with the mysterious dash board lights in hopes that this will help. Good luck.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...t=#post4473836
Old 11-09-2010, 06:16 PM

Now 4x4 light, yellow brake light, SRS light on always, SRS stays on after position 1

Still having the problem, 4x4 light, SRS light, and yellow brake light all come on now always. Any suggestions before I put down $100 for a diagnostic? Dude before this says transfer case actuator but that doesn't explain the SRS light, or the SRS light staying on after I turn the key back to position 1. Mechanic thinks ignition switch, any other ideas? Could the SRS light be connected to the drivetrain in any way? Need help!

Chris
Old 11-09-2010, 07:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2005/X3/2.5
MY FRIEND 4x4 light, SRS LIGHT And the brake light all @ the same time on. that will be the TRANSFER CASE. check on that.!! the thing is you don't feel any difference on the driving. But is annoying having all does lights ON.!! Feels like you have a christmas tree on your dashboard GAUGES. GOOD LUCK.

Condeking.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
No, Chris says that the car drives perfectly.

If it was the xfer case, there would be noise and/or drivabilty symptoms.

Even a gremlin in the xDrive electronics will put the system into a restricted/safe mode,
and there is absolutely no reason for the SRS light to be part of the same issue.

So the suggestion of a faulty ignition switch makes a lot of sense.
It explains why the SRS light is involved, why the problem is intermittent but continuing,
and why there is no problem with the drivability.

Might be hard to avoid that diagnostic fee, short of waiting for things to develop further.
But if it has not logged any fault codes, the normal dealer diagnostics might not help.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:37 AM

Mein Auto: X3 2.0d
Hi There.

I had the same combination of lights come on and it was the Steering Angle Sensor that needed replacing.

HTH.

Cheers, Ben
Old 11-14-2010, 06:39 PM

New battery didn't help

I took it into the shop and they listed several things wrong, including a weak battery. I figured try the battery, erase all codes and see what happens. After swapping batteries, and then clearing the codes, the lights did stay off for a quick trip around town. Later in the day however, all 3 were back on again and are on now. At least this shows it wasn't a faulty battery causing the SRS light, yellow brake light, and traction control light to all come on. I'm going to reset the codes one more time and make an appointment with the dealership. Will update once I know more. Chris
Old 11-15-2010, 02:09 PM
Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexcia View Post
Hi There.

I had the same combination of lights come on and it was the Steering Angle Sensor that needed replacing.

HTH.

Cheers, Ben
I've heard that sensor going bad before and causing the same array of lights. I know there are more sensors that work with Xdrive and can go bad including the ABS sensors, also there are yaw and lateral acceleration sensors, and the brakelight switch.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:55 PM

Smile Problem was the steering angle sensor

Turns out it was the steering angle sensor. After updating the software, installing a new battery and clearing all error codes, the lights came back on within 20 minutes of driving. I'll upload the work order in case anyone is interested, it was about $250 for the part and $400 labor since they were not familiar with the fix. Gotta give thanks to CK auto group who took care of me after the initial purchase. Chris

Last edited by bigstud4ubaby; 11-25-2010 at 10:56 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:15 PM

Steer Angle Sensor Work Order - Fixed my Issue

Here's the work order for the Steering Angle Sensor. You'll see they had to create additional room to remove the part by going under the vehicle, I'm not sure if this step is needed or if there's a quicker procedure.

I left off the prices but figure around $255 for the part and $320 or so for the labor. Also, part of the procedure is updating and flashing the computer, another $120 or so depending on where you go.

Germany's Best Inc. did this repair for us, they're out of Oakland CA. I would definitely recommend them if you're in the Bay Area, their phone is 510.658.8948.

One more thing, if you have adaptive lights and you think your steering angle sensor might be going, see if the adaptive lighting works when you experience all 3 warning lights on (traction control light, yellow brake light, airbag light). Mine was not working which should have tipped me off that the steering angle sensor might be the issue. Hope this helps and also hope I don't have to come back to this forum too soon.

Chris

Last edited by bigstud4ubaby; 12-07-2010 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:51 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
4X4(yellow) , BRAKE(yellow) , Airbag(red) lights ON at dashboard

It was snow yesterday and all 3 lights came together and not going away. It happened earlier but went off quickly.

I took to dealer for some noise last week and they said that they replaced rockers and lifters and since then I noticed that the overhead passenger airbag yellow light ( not on Dashboard , its overhead) is lit for last 1 week. Now this this 3 lights came off together. Another observation is that after the 3 lights went ON the DTC button is not working.

I'm wondering if this trio lights is due to snow covering the sensors or due to what they were doing with lifters and rockers last week ?

Some folks are saying that its due to "Angle sensors" going bad - is that covered under CPO extended warranty ? I bought the car 8 months back at 48K miles.