Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 08-19-2010, 11:01 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '08 Montego Blue 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teris View Post
Thanks OP for the post. I'm seriously considering a new 3 series lease and had planned to get nav. Now, maybe not. I do love the nav on my Droid Incredible, but it's nice to have it on the screen in the car. not sure it's worth another $25/month on a lease, though.

I was told that the new nav is very good (I guess the older system was terrible). Does everyone agree that the nav is relatively weak? Thanks for the input.

Not counting all of the other features that comes with the Nav, the Nav, first and foremost is a navigation unit and it should do this job well. IMO, it sucks at this job but works well for the other features.

I have a 08 e90 so I can't speak about the updated version but just check out one of the CPO's on the lot and try to search for directions on how to drive to a local staples or office depot. Do this with the sales guy sitting right next to you and ask him to help you find it. At least in the 08 e90, it's impossible.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:27 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Mein Auto: E91
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrax333 View Post
Here is a recent screen grab I took while driving around. I'm not in some off the beaten path area in some shady corner of the country, I'm in Los Angeles.

This pic displays the difficulties with this new navigation at its worst, showing not a single street name. To be fair under normal operation I do see a sprinkling of street names, but never the important ones. Many times I'll see a bright orange road coming up, you know a major road, and the navigation will never give me the privilege of knowing the name of the street. I've found myself looking at REAL STREET SIGNS.

Doesn't this defeat the purpose!?

If I'm just being a noob and I have severely overlooked a setting somewhere I will be more than happy to be embarrassed at the cost of fixing this.

Any one else having these problems? Other nav thoughts or comments?
Ignore this - part of a double post.

Last edited by Kilgore Trout; 08-19-2010 at 02:30 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:30 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Quote:
Here is a recent screen grab I took while driving around. I'm not in some off the beaten path area in some shady corner of the country, I'm in Los Angeles.

This pic displays the difficulties with this new navigation at its worst, showing not a single street name. To be fair under normal operation I do see a sprinkling of street names, but never the important ones. Many times I'll see a bright orange road coming up, you know a major road, and the navigation will never give me the privilege of knowing the name of the street. I've found myself looking at REAL STREET SIGNS.

Doesn't this defeat the purpose!?

If I'm just being a noob and I have severely overlooked a setting somewhere I will be more than happy to be embarrassed at the cost of fixing this.

Any one else having these problems? Other nav thoughts or comments?
You have it out at a pretty low resolution. At 800 ft, it doesn't display many street names. Of course, my Garmin has the exact same issue.

If you scroll in to 400ft and 200ft, you'll get most street names. Also, if you scroll out a level,and scroll back in a level, it will refresh all street names.

I think there is room on that big screen, and it is high resolution enough, for street names at lower magnification. That is one issue I've never liked about the nav.

I've used a ton of nav systems - Garmin, Tom Tom, Acura, Infiniti, M-B, and Idrive. Idrive is not as good as the Acura systems, but better than all the others, IMO. It just has one or two ergonomic snafus, but is otherwise pretty good.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:31 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teris View Post
Thanks OP for the post. I'm seriously considering a new 3 series lease and had planned to get nav. Now, maybe not. I do love the nav on my Droid Incredible, but it's nice to have it on the screen in the car. not sure it's worth another $25/month on a lease, though.

I was told that the new nav is very good (I guess the older system was terrible). Does everyone agree that the nav is relatively weak? Thanks for the input.
I freakin' love the Nav in my car. Its a lot of fun. I'd definitely get it again.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i
Let me clarify as the OP.

The nav DOES show street names, my pic was an example at its worst. The new idrive is still very useful, and I love the new entertainment options versus what was in my 2007 335

The nav system itself is faster since it is hard drive based and looks sharper. The downside is, I found the way the older nav displayed information was much better from a functional standpoint, even though it didnt look as crisp.

Even at max zoom where it does show more street names, it still doesnt show all of them. It really gets aggrivating when you are nearing a major street and it doesnt give you the name of it.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:17 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Quote:
Let me clarify as the OP.

The nav DOES show street names, my pic was an example at its worst. The new idrive is still very useful, and I love the new entertainment options versus what was in my 2007 335

The nav system itself is faster since it is hard drive based and looks sharper. The downside is, I found the way the older nav displayed information was much better from a functional standpoint, even though it didnt look as crisp.

Even at max zoom where it does show more street names, it still doesnt show all of them. It really gets aggrivating when you are nearing a major street and it doesnt give you the name of it.

To fix that, do what I suggested, Turn the dial one notch to the right, and then back to the left. That basically acts as a refresh.

I see this as the biggest limitation of the nav, btw. I agree with you that it is dumb.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:21 PM

Mein Auto: `02 RSX
Anyone suggesting that you use a droid in place of a nav unit... have any of you ever actually done that for long trips? :-)

I have a Nexus One and have done just that in a few rentals I've used and... man, it DRAINS the battery like crazy. Even when plugged in, the power adapter is simply fighting the drain and losing at a slower rate than when it was just on battery alone. Just about every cell phone I've heard about does this. GPS + Constant Data (especially at 3G) = MASSIVE power drain.

There is also the problem that comes with a loss of data service (which can also affect the GPS considering that the GPS is always assisted).

For short trips I love using my phone to find things, especially now with CM6 and the new google search stuff that just came out. It's a shear pleasure :-)

I have a vehicle on order for ED and I added the Nav for a number of reasons... first, the fact that I don't have to spend $220+ for a Euro capable nav, or figure out how to get Data on a pre-paid SIM (doesn't seem possible) so I can use my cell, adds to the discount i got on the nav option. Second, it ties into everything on the car. And third, it'll let me add a backup camera once I get the thing back to the states.

Is it worth it for you? I guess that's a personal decision... just make sure you take into account all the various factors first :-)
Old 08-19-2010, 07:36 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 650i
My nav saved me over the weekend... Trying to get to a resort hotel that listed a pretentious address; 1 Resort Dr. Could not find that in the nav, but nearby hotels under services listed the hotel and we went right to it. The software is not made by Apple, so lower your expectations a bit.

2012 BMW 650i Coupe | Space Gray/Ivory White Leather
ZF 8-Speed·Head-Up Display·Premium Hi-Fi·Luxury Seating·Sport Pkg·BMW Apps

Retired:
2006 BMW 650i Coupe
2002 Porsche 996 Coupe
2000 Porsche 996 Coupe
1998 BMW 540i-6
1997 Audi A4
1994 BMW 530i
1990 Acura LS
1985 BMW 325e
1983 Lancia Zagato
1982 BMW 320i
1980 Triumph TR7
1970s Vespa Grande Moped
Old 08-19-2010, 08:20 PM

Mein Auto: '10 E90 335d
Go test drive a 2010 Mercedes E Class Sedan this weekend just for fun (with the No Cost Sports Package). Their Nav system has leapfrogged BMW (but alas its not Apple). You might even be surprised by the rest of the car when it is equipped with a Sports Package.

Platinbronze | Oyster/Black | Sport | Premium | iDrive | Logic7 | iPod | Comfort Access | Shades | Folding Seats
Old 08-19-2010, 08:43 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

My mom has an S-Class which, btw, has the worst navigation system I've ever seen. Its ridiculous it is so poor - makes the PREVIOUS GEN Idrive look like a freakin' Iphone in terms of usability. I believe, however, that new systems are developed by Mitsubshi. Supposed to be really nice, but I've not used it yet.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 Crimson Red E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
You have it out at a pretty low resolution. At 800 ft, it doesn't display many street names. Of course, my Garmin has the exact same issue.

If you scroll in to 400ft and 200ft, you'll get most street names. Also, if you scroll out a level,and scroll back in a level, it will refresh all street names.

I think there is room on that big screen, and it is high resolution enough, for street names at lower magnification. That is one issue I've never liked about the nav.

I've used a ton of nav systems - Garmin, Tom Tom, Acura, Infiniti, M-B, and Idrive. Idrive is not as good as the Acura systems, but better than all the others, IMO. It just has one or two ergonomic snafus, but is otherwise pretty good.
I agree. I have used Lexus and Honda / Acura NAV systems, and while not quite as good as Honda for navigation and voice guidance, its FAR better than Lexus. Not to mention the overall user interface, controls, and HD screen more than make up.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Submarine View Post
Having it split screened doesn't help either.
If you are in Split Screen and you change from 'Entertainment Details' to, I think, 'Arrow Display', it will always display the current street you are on.

Completely agree that its annoying and it should say on the screen, and preferably in the instrument cluster at all times. I love the new iDrive, but with a few more small tweaks, i'd love it even more!
Previous: '02 330i / MT / M-package / Premium -- will miss this near perfect car
Old 08-20-2010, 07:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwoz View Post
If you are in Split Screen and you change from 'Entertainment Details' to, I think, 'Arrow Display', it will always display the current street you are on.

Completely agree that its annoying and it should say on the screen, and preferably in the instrument cluster at all times. I love the new iDrive, but with a few more small tweaks, i'd love it even more!
I test drove the new 5 and it has the directions in the surround to the Speedometer/Tachometer, very cool and a nice display.

Retired 2011 335d AW, M Sport, Premium and Convenience pkg, Heated Seats, Nav, HK, iPod/USB, smart phone. ED 8/31/10

Retired 2008 335i Coupe 6-speed Manual, Montego Blue, Sport, Premium, CW, Nav, PDC, AS, Shade, HD, Sat, Ipod/USB, Logic 7, CA
PCD 11/07

Retired 2004 545i Sapphire Black/Black 6-speed Manual, Sport.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335xdrive (E90)
It should also be noted that (to the best of my knowledge) honda/acura and BMW are the only ones that do not lock out the nav once in motion. That would annoy the crap out of me. So if you want to change your destination mid-route, you have to pull over.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:55 AM

Mein Auto: '00 E46 Sedan & '14 GC
I have a MY 2000 328i with nav. I love the car but the nav is terrible - slow computer, small screen, lots of un-mapped areas. My 2011 335i's nav is way better in all those respects. Only problem I found with the new nav is occasional confusion between left and right. The good lady would occasionally tell me to turn left when I could see that she meant to turn right. Do you think that if I change the voice to a "man" that he might know right from left?
Old 08-20-2010, 07:58 AM
Officially Contaminated

Mein Auto: 2009 E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinitony View Post
I have a MY 2000 328i with nav. I love the car but the nav is terrible - slow computer, small screen, lots of un-mapped areas. My 2011 335i's nav is way better in all those respects. Only problem I found with the new nav is occasional confusion between left and right. The good lady would occasionally tell me to turn left when I could see that she meant to turn right. Do you think that if I change the voice to a "man" that he might know right from left?
Yes
Old 08-20-2010, 09:02 AM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts335 View Post
It should also be noted that (to the best of my knowledge) honda/acura and BMW are the only ones that do not lock out the nav once in motion. That would annoy the crap out of me. So if you want to change your destination mid-route, you have to pull over.
Infiniti allows you to make changes mid-route, but only with the voice commands.

I totally agree with you that the lockout is a deal breaker. I don't mind not being able to type in addresses while I move (I'm not insane, after all). But, there are things you can do with a quick flick of the wrist - like telling Idrive the damn highway is congested and that you need to be re-routed on local streets.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:01 AM
energetik9

Mein Auto: waiting for the M4!
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I love iDrive. It has been more than accurate for all my driving, and still being fairly new to the northern VA/DC area, that's critical. It works significantly better than my wife's crappy Acura Nav system. She hates it so much she stopped using it. I also appreciate all the audio interface with my iPod. I have a upmodel Garmin, but I would much rather NOT deal with cords and putting it and out of my glovebox. My iPhone works spectacularly, but I cannot imagine using it for nav while trying to drive. iDrive was a no brainer and it's been a great purchase.
Previous - X5 3.0i with prem/sport
Previous - 2000 ///M roadster
----------------------------
Someone should invent a sarcasm font...
Old 08-20-2010, 09:05 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by energetik9 View Post
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I love iDrive. It has been more than accurate for all my driving, and still being fairly new to the northern VA/DC area, that's critical. It works significantly better than my wife's crappy Acura Nav system. She hates it so much she stopped using it. I also appreciate all the audio interface with my iPod. I have a upmodel Garmin, but I would much rather NOT deal with cords and putting it and out of my glovebox. My iPhone works spectacularly, but I cannot imagine using it for nav while trying to drive. iDrive was a no brainer and it's been a great purchase.
Crappy Acura? I love IDrive too and would buy it again. Its one of my favorite features of the car. But, the nav in my 2004 (which is 5 years younger than my E91) kicked the crap out of Idrive.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 335 GT M spot
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan01 View Post
Go test drive a 2010 Mercedes E Class Sedan this weekend just for fun (with the No Cost Sports Package). Their Nav system has leapfrogged BMW (but alas its not Apple). You might even be surprised by the rest of the car when it is equipped with a Sports Package.
Are you kidding me? Their COMMAND is horrible. BMW recognized the single knob inconvenience and updated to the new version with buttons. Try to change from map view to radio or CD with COMMAND is a nightmare.

Quote:
My mom has an S-Class which, btw, has the worst navigation system I've ever seen. Its ridiculous it is so poor - makes the PREVIOUS GEN Idrive look like a freakin' Iphone in terms of usability. I believe, however, that new systems are developed by Mitsubshi. Supposed to be really nice, but I've not used it yet.
Yes, it's really ridiculous. I still don't quite understand the COMMAND logic...
Old 08-21-2010, 10:39 AM
energetik9

Mein Auto: waiting for the M4!
Quote:
Crappy Acura? I love IDrive too and would buy it again. Its one of my favorite features of the car. But, the nav in my 2004 (which is 5 years younger than my E91) kicked the crap out of Idrive.
My wife's '08 Acura is horrible. I struggle to get it to do anything correctly, but she drives it every day and she can't stand it to the point she refuses to use it. She would rather go through the hassle of carting around our Garmin rather than use the OEM Acura Nav system.
Previous - X5 3.0i with prem/sport
Previous - 2000 ///M roadster
----------------------------
Someone should invent a sarcasm font...
Old 08-21-2010, 07:10 PM

Mein Auto: 335D
I'm coming from an Audi a4. Audi offers a large screen for the cars's functions, radio, sat, etc. When I was looking to buy a 335d I didn't really care about Nav since I have a Gamin and don't use it much. It's a life saver at times. When i went to Florida recently I never turned it off. Anyway, I was suprised to find out that the only way to get a screen is to get Nav. The laternative is a tiny screen that reminds me of the old style clock radios with a terrible display. I think BMW should be ashamed.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:44 PM

Mein Auto: E90 32Nxi
OP, this has more to do with your maps database than iDrive.
Can you post your Navigation System Version? See the Options menu from the Nav menu.

When BMW changed map providers, the quality of map and POI info dropped significantly. I would have hoped they would have fixed it by now. I believe you may have a reason for your dealer to replace your buggy maps version with the latest.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:09 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
I think everyone's logic meshes differently with different systems. I've tried the MMI and Acura systems and they're unintuitive to me. My uncle has an MDX and I wasn't even able to set up his Phonebook or voice dial, after I struggled to pair Bluetooth. I gave up after 30 frustrating minutes.

Oh, and I can't do touchscreens. Parents have a Garmin and I have to literally pull over, pull up the handbrake, and turn off the engine because it takes me forever to get an address it. It doesn't help it takes forever to acquire satellites.

I don't particularly like the newer iDrive system though. I preferred the older one, which had a simpler main menu (4 directions) and didn't have climate buried inside settings.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335xdrive (E90)
Quote:
Infiniti allows you to make changes mid-route, but only with the voice commands.

I totally agree with you that the lockout is a deal breaker. I don't mind not being able to type in addresses while I move (I'm not insane, after all). But, there are things you can do with a quick flick of the wrist - like telling Idrive the damn highway is congested and that you need to be re-routed on local streets.
You should be able to do whatever you want...typing in addresses included. I mean, the car still comes with a passenger seat, right? Pretty sure the passenger could handle playing with the NAV while the driver takes care of the driving. It's just stupid.