Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 08-23-2010, 09:41 AM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Mein Auto: E91
Quote:
Originally Posted by matts335 View Post
You should be able to do whatever you want...typing in addresses included. I mean, the car still comes with a passenger seat, right? Pretty sure the passenger could handle playing with the NAV while the driver takes care of the driving. It's just stupid.
Its not a issue driven by car companies or by nav manufacturers - it is driven by lawyers and product liability experts. BMW has determined that their Idrive interface with a remote know will protect them against lawsuit - Infiniti thinks voice commands will do the same. Its dumb, but it is not about logic or practicality - its about litigation.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:42 AM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJHakim View Post
OP, this has more to do with your maps database than iDrive.
Can you post your Navigation System Version? See the Options menu from the Nav menu.

When BMW changed map providers, the quality of map and POI info dropped significantly. I would have hoped they would have fixed it by now. I believe you may have a reason for your dealer to replace your buggy maps version with the latest.
I had Navteq data in my Acura and on my Garmin. I don't believe that map quality or POI quality is one iota inferior in my E91. In fact, the same "crappy" data is in the popular Tom Tom navigators.

YMMV tough, because every area is different.

However, whether or not you believe Navteq data provides better info than Teleatlas (or whatever the new provider is called) the issue the OP is complaining about is unrelated. He is upset that the Idrive removes street names at lower magnification. This is purely a software issue and would not change with different map data.

Last edited by Kilgore Trout; 08-23-2010 at 09:44 AM.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:52 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E90 32Nxi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
...However, whether or not you believe Navteq data provides better info than Teleatlas (or whatever the new provider is called) the issue the OP is complaining about is unrelated. He is upset that the Idrive removes street names at lower magnification. This is purely a software issue and would not change with different map data.
Ahh, tis related, at least given info from my dealer. The map provider also provides the overall nav software for iDrive, including routing and display of map content. Thus, whether or not streets display in certain scenarios relies on the Navigation System Version. Plus, there are different versions of maps from each provider. TeleAtlas serves Google Maps, which has a great set of maps and POIs; however, gmaps must be getting some deluxe or larger set of TeleAtlas services, becaues iDrive has something different and worse.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:07 AM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Quote:
Ahh, tis related, at least given info from my dealer. The map provider also provides the overall nav software for iDrive, including routing and display of map content. Thus, whether or not streets display in certain scenarios relies on the Navigation System Version. Plus, there are different versions of maps from each provider. TeleAtlas serves Google Maps, which has a great set of maps and POIs; however, gmaps must be getting some deluxe or larger set of TeleAtlas services, becaues iDrive has something different and worse.

That is most definitely not correct. TeleAtlas is NOT a software producer. They simply provide data that is accessed by the navigation unit's software. Think about what your dealer is saying here: Navteq provides data to hundreds of different kinds of nav systems from handheld units, to online software, to OEM built-in units. Do you really believe they write and maintain nav code for each of these systems?

I understand you are just reflecting what you dealer says, but dealers are often talking out their rears. What he is telling you here is 100% wrong.

Now the last issue you describe is an entirely different problem. I can totally believe that GoogleMaps can have a more detailed version of the same data set as OEM solutions. That isn't suprising because that system lives in the cloud, and accordingly has unlimited storage and computer power. The only limitation is the speed at which is delivered (which, on a desktop, is a nonfactor). So, yeah, GoogleMaps and Idrive could use the same provider with Googlemaps still having far more detail.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:15 AM

Mein Auto: 528i
Yep..definittely not correct. THe map provider does provide the raw map data and POIs, but whoever makes the idrive system (can't remember), implemented the operating system and UI for it based on BMW's specs.

Quote:
That is most definitely not correct. TeleAtlas is NOT a software producer. They simply provide data that is accessed by the navigation unit's software. Think about what your dealer is saying here: Navteq provides data to hundreds of different kinds of nav systems from handheld units, to online software, to OEM built-in units. Do you really believe they write and maintain nav code for each of these systems?

I understand you are just reflecting what you dealer says, but dealers are often talking out their rears. What he is telling you here is 100% wrong.

Now the last issue you describe is an entirely different problem. I can totally believe that GoogleMaps can have a more detailed version of the same data set as OEM solutions. That isn't suprising because that system lives in the cloud, and accordingly has unlimited storage and computer power. The only limitation is the speed at which is delivered (which, on a desktop, is a nonfactor). So, yeah, GoogleMaps and Idrive could use the same provider with Googlemaps still having far more detail.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
That is most definitely not correct...
Yours is a bigger claim. I am still waiting for someone in the know to clarify who controls what aspect of iDrive. ISTA/P updates and Nav. Sys. Ver. updates are independent and control different aspect of iDrive/nav. Maybe TeleAtlas (or BMW) outsources to some other company to develop the software that processes the map/POI info and then packages that into the DVDs the dealer uses to update the Nav. Sys. Ver.. These are all probablies, not definitelies, at this point!

Jspira, can you clarify?

Last edited by DJHakim; 08-23-2010 at 10:28 AM.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:16 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Quote:
Yours is a bigger claim. I am still waiting for someone in the know to clarify who controls what aspect of iDrive. ISTA/P updates and Nav. Sys. Ver. updates are independent and control different aspect of iDrive/nav. Maybe TeleAtlas (or BMW) outsources to some other company to develop the software that processes the map/POI info and then packages that into the DVDs the dealer uses to update the Nav. Sys. Ver.. These are all probablies, not definitelies, at this point!

Jspira, can you clarify?
I'm sorry, but this is a definite. Data and software are entirely different issues. BMW updated my NAV to get rid of that annoying shopping cart bug - but didn't touch the data.

Last edited by Kilgore Trout; 08-23-2010 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Reason? I don't need no stinking reason.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:46 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325 View Post
Yep..definittely not correct. THe map provider does provide the raw map data and POIs, but whoever makes the idrive system (can't remember), implemented the operating system and UI for it based on BMW's specs.
Becker (has the same parent company as Harmon-Kardon).

The OS is some kind of UNIX derivative, if I recall correctly (and I may not). I think the system in my Acura was based on Windows CE.

Last edited by Kilgore Trout; 08-23-2010 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Because I felt like it. I'll edit whatever I want. You can't stop me - no matter how hard you try.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:11 PM

Mein Auto: 528i
Quote:
Becker (has the same parent company as Harmon-Kardon).

The OS is some kind of UNIX derivative, if I recall correctly (and I may not). I think the system in my Acura was based on Windows CE.
That's my recollection as well. I think the original idrive (in the e65) was Windows-CE based, but w/ the gen 2 idrive they went to a unix based OS.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:24 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry, but this is a definite. Data and software are entirely different issues. BMW updated my NAV to get rid of that annoying shopping cart bug - but didn't touch the data.
Don't be sorry. Apology accepted. What is definite? I guessed that the maps folks provided the software to access their data, but I did not claim that they wrote or developed the software. What is not definite is who is responsible, or not responsible, for the software iDrive uses to display street names, routes, etc.

FWIW, look up TeleAtlas Connect, which provides "Basic mapping and routing across the globe," according to them. So maybe they do write routing software...maybe not!

Last edited by DJHakim; 08-23-2010 at 09:29 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:41 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Quote:
Don't be sorry. Apology accepted. What is definite? I guessed that the maps folks provided the software to access their data, but I did not claim that they wrote or developed the software. What is not definite is who is responsible, or not responsible, for the software iDrive uses to display street names, routes, etc.

FWIW, look up TeleAtlas Connect, which provides "Basic mapping and routing across the globe," according to them. So maybe they do write routing software...maybe not!

DJHakim, I have a way of stating things in a too forceful a manner sometimes. Sorry if I was coming across as an a-hole there. That gets me in trouble all the time, at least on the interweb.

That said, I still maintain that the data and software are unrelated issues.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 335 coupe
welcome to iDrive....you are now driving on the yellow line on the nav screen...what else do you need?

2013 X5
Old 08-24-2010, 07:50 AM

Quote:
DJHakim, I have a way of stating things in a too forceful a manner sometimes. Sorry if I was coming across as an a-hole there. That gets me in trouble all the time, at least on the interweb.

That said, I still maintain that the data and software are unrelated issues.
Fagettabattit!! Sallgood. Yes, data and software can be unrelated issues!
Old 08-24-2010, 09:51 AM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Quote:
Fagettabattit!! Sallgood. Yes, data and software can be unrelated issues!
thanks!