Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:17 PM

Mein Auto: ?
Recommended threads

What threads would be most useful for someone with no BMW knowledge who is considering buying an X5? Probably a 2013 model, but possibly a 2014.

Thanks
Advertisement
Old 03-21-2013, 05:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 X5, 2012 MINI ALL4
I would say not one. You have to read more or all of them from the E70 section.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icuc View Post
I would say not one. You have to read more or all of them from the E70 section.
I appreciate the response, icuc, but I don't really have the spare time to read through 5,900 threads. That's why I was hoping that one or more of the regulars could suggest a few threads that they thought would be especially useful in helping me understand the pros and cons of an X5 as a daily driver.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:49 AM

Mein Auto: M5
Hey Bud,
Best thing to do is either use the search for a topic of interest or just start scanning subject lines and read as you go. People don't know what you are really most interested in reading about (reliability, performance, interior appointments, purchase experience, pricing...etc) to post a thread of interest for you. Trust me, scanning topics is time well spent when considering a car like this. Trust me, you WILL find some nuggets in there!

good luck
Old 03-22-2013, 10:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balzac View Post
What threads would be most useful for someone with no BMW knowledge who is considering buying an X5? Probably a 2013 model, but possibly a 2014.

Thanks

BMW factory wheel alignments are fuccked. But you can go anywhere to get that fixed. You don't need to go to the dealer. Of course if its a new car, there is a limited warranty on alignment.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:10 AM

If you are custom ordering, people like the options "adaptive drive" and "752 EPS Enhanced premium sound".
Old 03-22-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavom5 View Post
Hey Bud,
Best thing to do is either use the search for a topic of interest or just start scanning subject lines and read as you go. People don't know what you are really most interested in reading about (reliability, performance, interior appointments, purchase experience, pricing...etc) to post a thread of interest for you. Trust me, scanning topics is time well spent when considering a car like this. Trust me, you WILL find some nuggets in there!

good luck
Fair enough. But I'll keep watching this thread in case anyone has specific threads they think would be helpful. Thanks for the advise.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockChips View Post
If you are custom ordering, people like the options "adaptive drive" and "752 EPS Enhanced premium sound".
Thanks - that gives me some ideas to search on. And why don't dealers fix the alignment issue as part of pre-delivery? Or do some of them?
Old 03-22-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
And why don't dealers fix the alignment issue as part of pre-delivery?

What caused the Big Bang?
Old 03-22-2013, 12:42 PM

You do realize that 2014 X5 is all new design right?
Old 03-22-2013, 02:41 PM

http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/dep...ss-release.htm

scroll down some
Old 03-22-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
What caused the Big Bang?

Got it.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:
You do realize that 2014 X5 is all new design right?
Yes, but the F15 forum is currently small enough that I zipped through it fairly quickly. What I'm doing here is setting myself up should I find and decide to deal on a close-out 2013 model.

And thanks for the JDPower link.

Last edited by Balzac; 03-22-2013 at 04:03 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 03-22-2013, 05:13 PM
Urban

Mein Auto: X5 35d
My suggestion is to try to find a dealership that will allow you to take extended test drives. The X5 I ended up ordering, and buying was totally not the one I had my heart set on going into the ordering process. The dealership I worked with let me take the inline 6 cylinder gas sport activity model for a couple hours, and then the diesel model for a couple hours. In the end, after that much time behind the wheel of each, it was evident which engine I wanted, and from there, I came to the forum and used the search function to read relevant posts about different options I thought about considering. I found that approach worked extremely well. A few days into ownership of my X5, and I still can't wipe the smile off my face, so I clearly made the right choices! I hope your ordering and buying process is as fun and successful.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:33 PM
"Clunker" *****

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
Quote:
Yes, but the F15 forum is currently small enough that I zipped through it fairly quickly. What I'm doing here is setting myself up should I find and decide to deal on a close-out 2013 model.

And thanks for the JDPower link.
Don't see an F15 forum. Is there another name?
Old 03-22-2013, 05:51 PM

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=179
Old 03-24-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanExtant View Post
My suggestion is to try to find a dealership that will allow you to take extended test drives. The X5 I ended up ordering, and buying was totally not the one I had my heart set on going into the ordering process. The dealership I worked with let me take the inline 6 cylinder gas sport activity model for a couple hours, and then the diesel model for a couple hours. In the end, after that much time behind the wheel of each, it was evident which engine I wanted, and from there, I came to the forum and used the search function to read relevant posts about different options I thought about considering. I found that approach worked extremely well. A few days into ownership of my X5, and I still can't wipe the smile off my face, so I clearly made the right choices! I hope your ordering and buying process is as fun and successful.
Interesting idea. So, what choices did you make?
Old 03-24-2013, 10:58 AM
Urban

Mein Auto: X5 35d
Quote:
Interesting idea. So, what choices did you make?
I had planned on buying the 35i Sport Activity model with M Sport pack, M Sport performance pack, leather dash with Napa leather seats, convenience pack, cold weather pack, premium sound, adaptive drive, active steering, multi-contour seats, bmw apps, and space saver spare.

In the end, after driving the diesel for a while, then taking the gasser for a while again, I felt the diesel drove better, and was no noisier than the gas engine was with all it's revving and shifting. It was just a different sound. I decided against the leather dash after reading of people having shrinkage issues, and it being expensive to repair if out of warranty. I decided against the M Sport pack after reading hundreds of posts with pictures about paint damage on the rear flares and rocker panels from stones. This, and other forums were invaluable in finding that information before purchase. I also found the many posts comparing the 35i to the 35d valuable. This is my first diesel, and I wanted to make sure it was a good move with such an expensive purchase. The varied posts about adaptive drive were helpful, as well. Really, the list of helpful threads on this forum goes on and on. It was a tremendously helpful source of information.

In the end, the X5 I ordered, and took delivery of last week is as follows:

35d
Platinum Gray Metallic
Black Nevada Leather
Dark Burl Walnut
Sport Activity Package w/ 20" rims
Adaptive Drive
Premium Package
Cold Weather Package
Luxury Seating Package
Premium Sound
Technology Package
Running Boards
BMW Apps
Space Saver Spare

Due to the plethora of information on this forum, coupled with the extended test drives at the dealership, I was able to make informed, and well thought out decisions. I love my X5, and couldn't be more pleased. Had I ended up with the build I originally thought I wanted, I'd be unhappy. The paint damage would drive me crazy, as would the busy shifting/revving gas engine, amongst other things.

This forum has an excellent search function, and lots of wonderful, thoughtful posters, I highly recommend using it to its fullest during your test drive/ordering process.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanExtant View Post
I had planned on buying the 35i Sport Activity model with M Sport pack, M Sport performance pack, leather dash with Napa leather seats, convenience pack, cold weather pack, premium sound, adaptive drive, active steering, multi-contour seats, bmw apps, and space saver spare.

In the end, after driving the diesel for a while, then taking the gasser for a while again, I felt the diesel drove better, and was no noisier than the gas engine was with all it's revving and shifting. It was just a different sound. I decided against the leather dash after reading of people having shrinkage issues, and it being expensive to repair if out of warranty. I decided against the M Sport pack after reading hundreds of posts with pictures about paint damage on the rear flares and rocker panels from stones. This, and other forums were invaluable in finding that information before purchase. I also found the many posts comparing the 35i to the 35d valuable. This is my first diesel, and I wanted to make sure it was a good move with such an expensive purchase. The varied posts about adaptive drive were helpful, as well. Really, the list of helpful threads on this forum goes on and on. It was a tremendously helpful source of information.

In the end, the X5 I ordered, and took delivery of last week is as follows:

35d
Platinum Gray Metallic
Black Nevada Leather
Dark Burl Walnut
Sport Activity Package w/ 20" rims
Adaptive Drive
Premium Package
Cold Weather Package
Luxury Seating Package
Premium Sound
Technology Package
Running Boards
BMW Apps
Space Saver Spare

Due to the plethora of information on this forum, coupled with the extended test drives at the dealership, I was able to make informed, and well thought out decisions. I love my X5, and couldn't be more pleased. Had I ended up with the build I originally thought I wanted, I'd be unhappy. The paint damage would drive me crazy, as would the busy shifting/revving gas engine, amongst other things.

This forum has an excellent search function, and lots of wonderful, thoughtful posters, I highly recommend using it to its fullest during your test drive/ordering process.
I like your color choices. Thanks for the info, and the suggestions. I'm off now to do some searching.