Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 12-12-2003, 01:16 AM
Family Man User

Mein Auto: BMW, M-B, Honda
X5 exterior

I know X5 owners think the SAV drives like a dream and is the best vehicle ever made, but do y'all think the X5 looks nice from the outside? I personally think the Lexus RX330 looks much better. In fact, pretty much the only SUV I think is uglier is the MB M-class (and maybe the Porsche Cayenne).

Anyway, I'm not an X5 owner, but I was just wondering what the fans thought.
Ads by Google
Old 12-12-2003, 08:26 AM
Automotive Monomaniac

Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
Quote:
Originally Posted by swchang
I know X5 owners think the SAV drives like a dream and is the best vehicle ever made, but do y'all think the X5 looks nice from the outside? I personally think the Lexus RX330 looks much better. In fact, pretty much the only SUV I think is uglier is the MB M-class (and maybe the Porsche Cayenne).

Normally, I'd treat your comment like a flame - but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt...

The RX330 looks way too wimpy for me. The tires are small, skinny, and the shape screams feminine to my eyes. It is FWD, and it looks it.

The X5 is one of the best looking SAV's out there.

Do you really expect X5 owners to really say "...wait, come to think of it... our X5 IS really ugly"? What if we posed this question on your Mercedes board re your 190E - argueably a car built for someone who is NOT a performance enthusiast.

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as West Coast Editor for Autoblog!
Old 12-12-2003, 10:17 AM
Family Man User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emission
Normally, I'd treat your comment like a flame - but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt...

The RX330 looks way too wimpy for me. The tires are small, skinny, and the shape screams feminine to my eyes. It is FWD, and it looks it.

The X5 is one of the best looking SAV's out there.

Do you really expect X5 owners to really say "...wait, come to think of it... our X5 IS really ugly"? What if we posed this question on your Mercedes board re your 190E - argueably a car built for someone who is NOT a performance enthusiast.
No, not a flame. I'm genuinely interested to know if X5 owners like the way they look as well as the way they handle, etc.
Old 12-12-2003, 12:12 PM
I always have an opinion

Mein Auto: '06 325xiT
I like most of the exterior looks of the RX330, but I am a girl, so Emission may be right about it being too girly.

I really, really hate the tailights.

Also, when I drove it, it felt much more closed in than the X5, and it drove too much like a car (like the car that it is built on).

I think my X5 is gorgeous, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

2006 325xiT | Alpine White | Black Leather
Old 12-12-2003, 12:12 PM
We want the Lion!

Mein Auto: 03 ZHP, 01 X5, 73 MGB
Quote:
No, not a flame. I'm genuinely interested to know if X5 owners like the way they look as well as the way they handle, etc.
Do you think we would have bought them if we thought they were ugly?
I mean really, who buys an ugly car just because it handles well?
(with apologies to the Caterham/Lotus 7 crowd)

The Lexus looks like a pear on wheels; worst of all it has a minivan dash.
Old 12-12-2003, 01:50 PM
Family Man User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott ZHP
Do you think we would have bought them if we thought they were ugly?
I mean really, who buys an ugly car just because it handles well?
(with apologies to the Caterham/Lotus 7 crowd)

The Lexus looks like a pear on wheels; worst of all it has a minivan dash.
Well, I mean, most people seem to hate the styling of the 7 and 5-series, and yet buy them anyway...
Old 12-12-2003, 02:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 330xi
The X5 is a great looking SUV from the front (best in class no doubt) and side (again best in class) but I still can't get over the view from behind the car.

But that would not stop me from buying one if I could afford one- heck, it's not really your problem if you own one, it's the guy behind you who has to put up with it.

Have you driven an X5? They are pretty amazing to say the least. Drive any other SUV and then get in an X5 and take it for a spin and you'll know why.
1997 TJ Sahara
2008 JK Unlimited Sahara
Old 12-12-2003, 04:29 PM

Mein Auto: E90 330i, X3 3.0i
Quote:
Are you kidding me? The RX330 looks horrible, especially the famous Japanese chrome taillights. I even like the old RX300 a lot more. One of my friends told me he was so lucky to get the RX300 right before they made a change to the RX330.

Regarding the X5, I like it in every angle. About the only thing I don't like is the stupid bent down exhaust tips on the 3.0i. The 4.4i is perfect. But that doesn't make me not buying it. That's it, I'm totally satisfied with its exterior looks. Actually I prefer it more than the just introduced facelifted model. I think the kidney of the new one is a bit oversized. Also I don't like the C-shape front signal lights. But these are minor, and I can live with both versions.

Last edited by mkh; 12-30-2003 at 11:30 PM.
Old 12-12-2003, 07:51 PM
Jayhawk Fan

Mein Auto: BMW 540
Quote:

I see a RX330 and think SOFT and female. No offense to anyone, but that's the impression I get. Plus, it seems like there are a ton of them out there (obviously been very successful so far). Overall, I've grown on the Cayenne but none of 'em really look great.

Biggest thing that makes the X5 are upgraded big wheels. Makes it stand out.

BMW CCA: 162191

Old 12-12-2003, 09:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 550i Sport
My wife drives a 2004 RX330 and I have to say I actually enjoy driving it at times. It's smooth, luxurious and it drives like a car, because it's supposed to! But it doesn't have the great handling of a BMW.

Look wise it is actually sportier for this new generation (as opposed to the old RX300, which was nice, but that was a TRUE Soccer Mom's vehicle). In general you will find more women driving this vehicle.

However if you enjoy high end audio and need a navigation system in your car, the X5 doesn't compare to the Lexus Mark Levinson Stereo and Touch Screen Navigation with Rear View Backup camera.

The RX330 rear vs. the X5 rear is subjective. They both are ugly, but rears usually are in general.

I'd get a BMW X4 4.4 over an RX330 in a heartbeat, but an RX 330 vs. an X5 3.0 (that I'm not sure on). The X3 maybe a better comparision and a sportier alternative.
Old 12-12-2003, 11:09 PM
Family Man User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguynj
My wife drives a 2004 RX330 and I have to say I actually enjoy driving it at times. It's smooth, luxurious and it drives like a car, because it's supposed to! But it doesn't have the great handling of a BMW.

Look wise it is actually sportier for this new generation (as opposed to the old RX300, which was nice, but that was a TRUE Soccer Mom's vehicle). In general you will find more women driving this vehicle.

However if you enjoy high end audio and need a navigation system in your car, the X5 doesn't compare to the Lexus Mark Levinson Stereo and Touch Screen Navigation with Rear View Backup camera.

The RX330 rear vs. the X5 rear is subjective. They both are ugly, but rears usually are in general.

I'd get a BMW X4 4.4 over an RX330 in a heartbeat, but an RX 330 vs. an X5 3.0 (that I'm not sure on). The X3 maybe a better comparision and a sportier alternative.
Yeah, that's what I'm talking about -- the rears of the vehicles. The main reason why I think the X5 doesn't look good is the rear. For some reason it makes it look like a gigantic hatchback to me. The other Lexus SUVs (LX, GX) are also pretty hideous, but for some reason I like the RX a lot.

I guess I would agree somewhat with the femininity of the RX's looks. Overall, however (and please don't flame me for this), I've always considered the luxury makes' SUVs to be "rich wife-mobiles" for some reason. (That is, until I "met" many of the people on this board. ) Anyway, I think it was because when they first started popping up in my area, the only people I knew who drove them were females.

But then again, according to that logic, my friend would have me convinced that C32's are only for women. (He already is trying to convince me that TT's and SLK's are "woman-cars"...)
Old 12-12-2003, 11:15 PM

Mein Auto: 528i
I think all SUVs are pretty ugly-- but, personally, I I think the X5 is the best of the lot. The RX300 and its prelacement, the 330 just look really cheap and plasticky to me-- kind of like one of those boom boxes with lot of animated displays and buttons. THe rears on both aren't that great-- but the RX330's is truly ugly.
Old 12-13-2003, 10:40 AM
just copacetic!!!

Mein Auto: 2013 328i, 2003 325i
I've had several non-BMW people mention to me as they walk past that my car looks really nice. I agree that of all the angles, the rear is my least favorite, but I've also noticed that with the wider tires, it looks much better from the rear than with the thinner non-SP tires on the 3.0. When I was shopping for the X, one of the reasons I got the SP was it looked so much better with the wider tires.
'89 325i Bronz, AT(retired)
'02 325i StlGrey, AT, PP, SP
'13 328i AlpWhite, AT8, Xenon, HK
Old 12-13-2003, 12:46 PM
Do the interns get Glocks

Send a message via AIM to LmtdSlip
Mein Auto: 325iC
Quote:
Why would someone buy a car that they didnt care for the styling or handling?

Your question is pointless here.

Photobucket
Old 12-13-2003, 02:09 PM
Family Man User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LmtdSlip
Why would someone buy a car that they didnt care for the styling or handling?

Your question is pointless here.

Let me clarify that post. I know they like the way it handles. I wanted to know if they liked the styling as much as the handling.

I don't think it's pointless, and there have been several replies to vindicate the validity of the question.
Old 12-14-2003, 01:40 AM
Madame X

Send a message via AIM to Katt Send a message via Yahoo to Katt
Mein Auto: A Black Katt X
My X5 is amazing as far as the styling.....It's the BEST looking SAV on the road.......nothing compares to it's incredible looks. The handling is a bonus

Katt
Old 12-30-2003, 10:12 PM

Mein Auto: Depends on my mood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katt
My X5 is amazing as far as the styling.....It's the BEST looking SAV on the road.......nothing compares to it's incredible looks. The handling is a bonus

Katt

The X5's front end is my favorite! Looking into your rear view mirror and seeing a X5 riding off your rear bumper while doing canyons is a Kodak moment. Not to mention the overall styling of the car.

But it's just personal preference, and I prefer the looks of X5 over RX330. Flaming someone based on their personal preference doesnt really get you anywhere cuz you can do that all day long to no end.

You can go on the Cayenne boards and see them flaming about X5. You can go on X5 boards and see them flaming the Cayenne/RX330, and vice versa on the RX330 boards.