Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5d, 08 S2000, SL500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurPlazur View Post
I agree. I am going to regret those as soon as snow falls ....
Oh boy! This is frustrating to explain...........You open the driver's door, put your left foot on the running board, put your right foot on the driver's floor mat, put your ass on the seat, and bring your left foot into the vehicle (and shake it all about).

Reverse the process when exiting. I will guarantee you that your pant leg will not get dirty using this technique. It's kind of basic. I have had running boards on my last six X5s with no dirt problems.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:44 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by petey3 View Post
Oh boy! This is frustrating to explain...........You open the driver's door, put your left foot on the running board, put your right foot on the driver's floor mat, put your ass on the seat, and bring your left foot into the vehicle (and shake it all about).

Reverse the process when exiting. I will guarantee you that your pant leg will not get dirty using this technique. It's kind of basic. I have had running boards on my last six X5s with no dirt problems.

Doesnt it seem silly and awkward to take little mincing 6 inch steps between the running board and the floor mat?

And how do you place your left foot on the running board, and then lift the right? You cannot lift the right until you weight is fully supported, right? Are you now fully standing on your left foot??? So fully standing upright, head up above the roof?
Old 11-17-2011, 08:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5d, 08 S2000, SL500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Doesnt it seem silly and awkward to take little mincing 6 inch steps between the running board and the floor mat?

And how do you place your left foot on the running board, and then lift the right? You cannot lift the right until you weight is fully supported, right? Are you now fully standing on your left foot??? So fully standing upright, head up above the roof?
Try it. Somethings are not easily understood by just reading. You have to experience it.

A few years ago, I too was skeptical of the value and ease of entry using the running boards. However, I believe someone on this forum attached photos of how to use them and after using his technique I was sold on it. I'd never buy an X5 without the running boards.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:41 AM
is what life is ..

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 3.5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by petey3 View Post
Try it. Somethings are not easily understood by just reading. You have to experience it.

A few years ago, I too was skeptical of the value and ease of entry using the running boards. However, I believe someone on this forum attached photos of how to use them and after using his technique I was sold on it. I'd never buy an X5 without the running boards.
How tall are you? I tried your technique last night, and I've got a clearance problem with my head going in at 6' tall.

Present: 2002 Kawasaki ZX-6
Present: 1998 Suzuki GSX-R 750 (Track)
Retired: 2007 Subaru Outback H6
Old 11-18-2011, 07:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X5M
This is great. We are discussing "how to get in your car". This reminds me of a post on a Porsche forum titled "how to back your car up". Funny stuff.

On a serious note, I previously had an X5 with running boards and now have a X5M which does not have running boards as part of the M package. Don't miss them at all.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:24 PM

Mein Auto: BMW and Mercedes
I'm looking at pre-owned X5's and found one we really liked. However, my wife and I don't like the looks of the running boards. The salesperson told us they couldn't be removed. Does anyone know if the running boards can be removed? If so, is it difficult to do so and costly?
Old 01-13-2012, 01:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 35D
Its definitely something that you can do yourself in about 2-3 hours. I did it because it was easier for my daughter to get in and out of the back. Parts are about $330 or so from Pacific BMW.

| ZCW | ZPP | ZPS | ZRC | ZSP | ZTP | 322 | 2VA | 456 | 4AD | 4UB | 610 | 655 | 6FF | 6FL | Combox + CIC + LCI Headlight/Tailight retro |
Old 04-27-2013, 08:56 PM

Mein Auto: x5
Smile Installiing Running Boards on X5 2007-2011

It is not difficult. I Just did today on my X5. Bought on eBAY for $335+Free Shipping and installed in 2hrs