Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 08-21-2010, 01:22 AM
MERK MODE

Send a message via MSN to gridlock249
Mein Auto: BMW 745i
Exclamation Audio speaker issues. Lound popping noise!

Sorry about title typo, should read "Audio speaker issues. Loud popping/cracking noise!"

02 BMW X5 4.4i

My speakers make funny popping and cracking noise all of a sudden. It keeps getting worse and worse. I do not think the speakers are blown. It seems all out of no where the sound is dissorted. Sometimes its fine and than it goes all dissorted. Very annoying. I figured it would go away but it keeps occuring more and more often. Also I noticed that the speakers are off, it sounds like the sound comes more from the right side than the passenger side. I checked my audio balance settings and the levels are all equal.

What could be the problem? Any trouble shooting suggestions. Has the amp gone bad or is it just the speakers. I also have a BMW 745i which is all fiber optics and this problem happened on my vehicle, and the way I solved it was reseting the mostdef BUS system. However the 2002 BMW X5 does not have the same system.

Please let me know what I should do and what the problem is.

J
Upgraded AIB/HID lights| HID Foglight

Development: LED Lights | IPOD audio compatible

(C) SAFEKICKS INC. ENTERTAINMENT. ::

Last edited by gridlock249; 08-21-2010 at 01:29 AM. Reason: typo
Advertisement
Old 08-23-2010, 04:33 AM
MERK MODE

Send a message via MSN to gridlock249
Mein Auto: BMW 745i
no suggestions? wow
Upgraded AIB/HID lights| HID Foglight

Development: LED Lights | IPOD audio compatible

(C) SAFEKICKS INC. ENTERTAINMENT. ::
Old 08-29-2010, 11:58 PM

Mein Auto: 02 X5 4.6
Maybe the amp is malfunctioning or a connection is loose on the amp. I trip to your local stereo shop and an hour of diagnostic labor should narrow things down for you.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:25 PM

Mein Auto: Lexus and honda
x5 radio

Most likely and amp issue. Did it start acting up after a heavy rain?? I have seen water leaks fill up the compartmant where the amp sits and almost completley submerge the amplifier. If you open the rear hatch/tailgate and remove the driverside rear panel / cover, you can access the amp. You will have to remove the plastic cover (has a few 10mm plastic nuts) on the driverside to completely see the amp. I would check the amp connector for corrosion and/or water damage.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:56 AM

Mein Auto: 650I
crackling here too

I am suffering the same exact problem with my 2008 650i, but my speakers have suddenly stopped working with the radio, yet continue to produce the crackling/hissing sounds - even with the car turned off. There is also a *slight* smell of electrical burning but I can't be sure. This has me very concerned - I have not taken a look at the amplifier yet.