Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 08-21-2010, 03:15 AM
4 time BMW *****

Mein Auto: E60 530i
Question GPS format? - for preloading addresses on USB

Had a quick search around and while some topics dance around the issue, I thought I would post a specific topic requesting the format of the GSP info stored on the USB.

Having an E60 and having to have the nav system serviced on a couple of occasions has meant loosing and re-entering all my addresses.

About to buy an F10 and it has USB, but I don't want to have to key the addressed in YET AGAIN. So as a partial solution I wouldn't mind typing the addresses into a GPS program on the PC and then saving that on the USB stick which ultimately gets loaded in to the F10 nav system.

I have a URL of some s/w that seems to say that it can do it. I'll add that to a reply.

BTW, Moderators, if this is better posted in another forum, I won't be offended, but there didn't seem to be a forum devoted to the technology across a number of models and there wasn't a specific sub-forum in the F10 forum.

Regards,
Larry
2010AG21 19:15 Sydney
Advertisement
Old 08-21-2010, 04:28 AM

Mein Auto: F10 528i on order
Noone can confirm this yet since there are no post september build cars out there, but I understand that if you get bluetooth in post sep buld F10 cars and if you pair iphone then all the contacts should be available in contacts because of enhanced bluetooth features.

So a good solution will be to key in all you address in your gmail account. then you can use google sync with iphone to sync the iphone contacts to gmail and then you should have the same contacts in gmail/iphone and nav.

http://forums.5series.net/topic/1010...er-production/

Last edited by akhter; 08-21-2010 at 04:50 AM.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:42 AM
4 time BMW *****

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhter View Post
Noone can confirm this yet since there are no post september build cars out there, but I understand that if you get bluetooth in post sep buld F10 cars and if you pair iphone then all the contacts should be available in contacts because of enhanced bluetooth features.

So a good solution will be to key in all you address in your gmail account. then you can use google sync with iphone to sync the iphone contacts to gmail and then you should have the same contacts in gmail/iphone and nav.

http://forums.5series.net/topic/1010...er-production/
akhter,

Thanks ever so much for the quick reply (other forums haven't even had one reply yet).

And thanks for the link. I've read it a couple of times, and unless I've read it wrong, I don't see where the addresses from the GPS are taken from the phone.

Let's make sure we're clear about what I'm asking for.

Currently in my E60 GPS / Nav addresses are separate from Mobile / Cell phone addresses. (Mobile phone only give just that phone #s and not addresses).

It is these GPS / Nav addresses that I'm trying to either find a way to backup off the E60 (don't think so since even service didn't know how to back them up or save them before having to service the module) or pre-load the addresses on a USB stick in the format the GPS / Nav system will accept.

As an aside, your link gives me just a little pang that I had to order my new F10 528i in June and really wasn't told of an option to extend my Full Circle / lease and the coming of the Sept production changes.

As an example I ordered everything pre-Sept that is ultimately is part of the Sept released M-Pack (expect the actual body panels & won't get the badges on the wheels (steering and driving) & door sills. It took up more lines on the order form than the system allowed!

Another mild disappointment is if the speed limit camera / heads up system (Sept build available) is NOT able to be retrofit.

Thanks again and look forward to any more info about the GPS / Nav backup address format for USB.

Regards,
Larry
2010AG21 22:40
Old 08-21-2010, 07:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 11 550i
There has to be a way for the dealership to get the addresses off of the E60 somehow.

If all else fails I will just have an employee of my office do it.

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
11 550i Euro Del, Retired
08 550i Euro Del, Retired
06 330i Euro Del, Retired
04 545i Euro Del, Retired
01 530i Euro Del, Retired

Last edited by pharding; 08-21-2010 at 07:57 AM.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:16 AM

Mein Auto: F10 528i on order
Here is the link of the owner's manual:

http://www.bmwusa.com/pdf_adf7a410-5...1406002f5.arox

see page 211, 1st paragraph:

Quote:
The contacts
from the mobile phone are displayed as
well if this function is supported by the mobile
phone. The addresses can be adopted as destinations
for navigation and the phone numbers
can be dialed directly.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:41 AM
driving a D around RTP

Mein Auto: 335d
Don't know if there is a way to make a copy of the addresses in your E60 to USB. I doubt it. Fortunately you need not have this problem again at your next car upgrade.

The CIC idrive nav system in the new car has been available in the 3 series LCI from 2009 on. For more info you can try searching the 3 series forum, or the idrive forum on e90post, for info related to:

* CIC navigation
* bmw-routes.com (load multi-destination route into drive via USB stick)
* google maps "send to car"
* use a modern smartphone to bluetooth sync contacts into car

I use a combination of send-to-car and syncing my iPhone over BT. BT sync is even easier because my phone exchange-syncs with google over the air. Enter a new contact at any computer's web browser and the contact magically appears in idrive's "my contacts" the next time I'm in the car. There's little need for the car's own address book...it's only for the rare occasions when I forget my phone.

I've been wanting to write a converter from google earth KML to BMW's format from bmw-routes.com. But I never seem to find time to do it. Unfortunately, North America VINs don't get full access to the bmw-routes functionality. Even less now. You used to be able to plan and save a route that included USA addresses, then save to .zip for manual upload via USB. Now the google maps mashup does not let you plan a route using USA addresses.

Last edited by autoJeff; 08-23-2010 at 07:44 AM. Reason: add more info about bmw-routes
Old 08-24-2010, 01:42 AM
4 time BMW *****

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoJeff View Post
Don't know if there is a way to make a copy of the addresses in your E60 to USB. I doubt it. Fortunately you need not have this problem again at your next car upgrade.

The CIC idrive nav system in the new car has been available in the 3 series LCI from 2009 on. For more info you can try searching the 3 series forum, or the idrive forum on e90post, for info related to:

* CIC navigation
* bmw-routes.com (load multi-destination route into drive via USB stick)
* google maps "send to car"
* use a modern smartphone to bluetooth sync contacts into car

I use a combination of send-to-car and syncing my iPhone over BT. BT sync is even easier because my phone exchange-syncs with google over the air. Enter a new contact at any computer's web browser and the contact magically appears in idrive's "my contacts" the next time I'm in the car. There's little need for the car's own address book...it's only for the rare occasions when I forget my phone.

I've been wanting to write a converter from google earth KML to BMW's format from bmw-routes.com. But I never seem to find time to do it. Unfortunately, North America VINs don't get full access to the bmw-routes functionality. Even less now. You used to be able to plan and save a route that included USA addresses, then save to .zip for manual upload via USB. Now the google maps mashup does not let you plan a route using USA addresses.
autoJeff,

Thanks ever so much for that link. I've checked it out and won't let me load Australian addresses as part of the route. So I've shot the BMW people an e-mail to see if we can at least allow that from a web perspective. Part of the problem is that the original BMW Online didn't work too well in Australia (that's about 4 years ago when I got my E60).

I have some technical contacts here that I might get a hold of as well to see what I can do from this end.

Thanks again ever so much,
Larry
2010AG24 17:40 Sydney
Old 08-24-2010, 01:45 AM
4 time BMW *****

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhter View Post
Here is the link of the owner's manual:

http://www.bmwusa.com/pdf_adf7a410-5...1406002f5.arox

see page 211, 1st paragraph:
akhter,

Wow thanks. This has certainly given me a different perspective and avenue to work on. As long as the majority of my location are in my phone (and I think more are) this will save me having to write them all down.

I just have to check if this functionality is available in the cars here in Australia.

Thanks again,
Larry
2010AG24 17:45