Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion of BMW's 4th generation E65/E66 7 Series flagship. The E65 generated much controversy, due to its radical styling and iDrive user difficulties. Nonetheless, the E65 broke records to become the best-selling 7-series iteration ever, especially after its 2005 facelift.

Old 10-16-2016, 12:53 PM

Mein Auto: E66
E65 transmission in fail safe mode after succesful EGS module update.

Hi,

I am starting a new thread as my issue is no longer a failed WinKFP update.

I successfully updated the transmission software from assembly number 7561690 to 7589405. There were no issues with the update itself but the transmission goes into limp-home mode after. This is the second time I have updated it and although the module flash completes it always reduces the gear selection after the update.

I used SP-Daten version 59, will give version 54 a try next.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?

Last edited by AvoidStealerhip; 10-16-2016 at 12:57 PM.
Advertisement
Old 10-17-2016, 06:10 AM

Alright, so the issue is that I have been updating it with the latest assembly number available for this particular ECU, but it is clear they don't get along and it puts the transmission into fail-safe mode.

I have tried older assembly numbers and while they don't have the limp-home issue as soon as I start the car, they are giving me very hard upshifts, followed by the same transmission fault.

So I have to find the one assembly number that works best both in terms of getting no more fail-safe mode and also no jolt during 2-1 downshift.

I can confirm that all the updated software does is KEEP the car in 2nd gear even at full stop. And also starting from 2nd gear. The only way to get it into 1st gear after the update is to use Sport or Manual. That is why there is no longer a jolt. You will get a jolt the instant you go to Sport mode and also when going back into Manual or Auto as the car goes from 1st to 2nd. However, I do not mind that too much. It's the fail-safe issue I mind.

7589405 is the most recent one and it doesn't work as it causes limp-home mode as soon as the update is done.

Another forum member had the EXACT same issue (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=895967).

The assembly number I am updating from is 7561690. If anyone with a 2005-made 2006 model year E65/E66 with the GKE191 ECU knows which assembly number works best (as the latest one certainly does not), kindly share.

Last edited by AvoidStealerhip; 10-17-2016 at 06:31 AM.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:02 AM

I wonder if there is another module that I should be updating, along with the EGS, to be able to use the latest assembly and at the same time get rid of the transmission fail-safe mode that it causes.

I checked the DME and it seems to already have the latest software available.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:09 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 550I (N62TU) V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvoidStealerhip View Post
I
Another forum member had the EXACT same issue (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=895967).
The other thread stated;
I have a 2006 750li, i had the 2-1 thump when i slowed down.

It's possible you guys are trying to fix/bypass an issue that's mechanical and not a programming issue. Also from what I've seen inside my valve body, don't assume a solenoid will cure it. (Zip Kit & center plate)
Old 10-17-2016, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A B Able Truck View Post
The other thread stated;
I have a 2006 750li, i had the 2-1 thump when i slowed down.

It's possible you guys are trying to fix/bypass an issue that's mechanical and not a programming issue. Also from what I've seen inside my valve body, don't assume a solenoid will cure it. (Zip Kit & center plate)
Yes, that is exactly what I was experiencing and there are MANY others like us.

And you are correct. Once I realized that BMW's software "update/fix" was to keep the car from ever going into 1st gear, I knew the issue must be mechanical - a flaw within the transmission that they are well aware of but couldn't/wouldn't fix. But I can live with that 2nd gear "update" instead of having to worry about the thump every time I come to a stop. However, I need to find the assembly number that will give smooth up and down shifts with no transmission fault.

Last edited by AvoidStealerhip; 10-17-2016 at 07:50 AM.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:00 AM

If your valve body is bypassing fluid to the wrong port, dumps pressure and/or your accumulators aren't working - from what I understand, your TCM will attempt corrective actions but will be confused. So any reprogramming will be useless.

Post #37
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=930091&page=2
Old 10-17-2016, 09:33 AM

Thank you for providing more information.

I have given up on a solution for the harsh 2-1 downshift in terms of the transmission actually shifting down all the way to 1st gear. If BMW couldn't fix it and all they did was tell the transmission to bypass 1st gear in Auto mode, then there is certainly no real software fix for it.

But I do not mind having the transmission go down to 2nd gear and stay there when coming to a stop. That eliminates the thump and the difference between 1st and 2nd isn't that great for normal driving. If I could find an update that gives me the 2nd gear "fix" + no fail-safe mode, I'd be happy with it. Otherwise, I can always go back to the previous assembly number and bring the car to a gentle stop. That makes the thump only somewhat noticeable and gives 1st gear back. It's during hard deceleration/stop that you really feel the thump. The absolute worst is when you happen to be accelerating just as the 2nd to 1st gear shift takes place and the engagement is so violent that it makes you think someone has just rear-ended the car.

Last edited by AvoidStealerhip; 10-17-2016 at 09:37 AM.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:01 AM

Quote:
It's during hard deceleration/stop that you really feel the thump. The absolute worst is when you happen to be accelerating just as the 2nd to 1st gear shift takes place and the engagement is so violent that it makes you think someone has just rear-ended the car.
The same as mine - Took it to the dealer several times under warranty but said they couldn't duplicate - they reprogrammed 2X to no avail.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:17 AM

Have you ever tried flashing with a different assembly number? Something other than the latest. So as to have the car downshift to the 2nd gear in Auto, and not the 1st?
Old 10-17-2016, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Have you ever tried flashing with a different assembly number? Something other than the latest. So as to have the car downshift to the 2nd gear in Auto, and not the 1st?
No
It shifted fine when I first got it. The dealer said all software was up to date, so I'm going after the mechanical issues first (and they are obvious once you open it up).

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Today's Posts Search