Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 745Li
Question Crazy, sporadic, almost electric dash rattle driving me crazy!

After driving the car on a long trip, after a few hours a rattle develops. Seems to be coming from the dash up by the windshield. It is speed sensitive, and almost sounds like the static you'd get through the radio with bad spark plug wires or bad spark plugs. At around 80 mph the noise gets so loud you can hardly stand it. If I pull off the freeway and stop the car, take the key out, then restart it and resume travel the "rattle" is gone. My son, whom I think is a brilliant mechanic, thought it could be the cabin air filter and opening a window to change the cabin pressure would help. It did, but only a few times. Sometimes shutting the car off doesn't work either. I love this car, but long trips are horrible now. The dealer doesn't have a clue what to do other than tear into the dash. It seems electronic to me, and nearly impossible to predict its occurance. I'm ready to dump this car...but who would buy it?

Last edited by slopro; 08-23-2010 at 10:40 PM.
Advertisement
Old 08-24-2010, 04:21 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: AC Schnitzer 745i Sport
If your brave enough.........i'd remove the IDrive Monitor from the dash and go for a drive without it fitted to see if you can identify what's causing it.

If you think it's electrical you could start disabling the devices one by one by pulling the fuses then go for a drive.......you'd need to know what you were doing though...
Old 08-25-2010, 05:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 745Li
Thank you...great suggestion

Thanks for those ideas. It is difficult to say when the noise will appear, but I will look into locating the fuse box and study the schematic. Maybe I can isolate the problem. This car is not just giving me lots of grief. The right rear window no longer operates, the integrated phone works sporadically, and the driver door auto-close doesn't work. For a 6 year old, $80K car, this is really unexpected! I just wonder if I've got a lemon on my hands...but I've had it since new and it just turned 100K miles.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: AC Schnitzer 745i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopro View Post
Thanks for those ideas. It is difficult to say when the noise will appear, but I will look into locating the fuse box and study the schematic. Maybe I can isolate the problem. This car is not just giving me lots of grief. The right rear window no longer operates, the integrated phone works sporadically, and the driver door auto-close doesn't work. For a 6 year old, $80K car, this is really unexpected! I just wonder if I've got a lemon on my hands...but I've had it since new and it just turned 100K miles.
Your rear window problem will be a knacked window regulator.....fairly easy to change out yourself.....it's fairly common on the older cars ...i had to change my front passenger side when i bought mine.