Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 08-24-2010, 01:52 PM
Account closed at users request

Mein Auto: 128i
New member and new BMW 128i owner!

Hello everyone,

Hopefully I'm writing this in the right part of this forum... just wanted to introduce myself as a new member to these forums. I just put in and order for my first ever BMW, a 128i manual transmission with a couple of add-on options.

I've looked around the forum and can't seem to find an answer to a couple of questions I had, however (apologies if these have been covered elsewhere!)

- does anyone have any recommendations for a good rear mounted bike rack and is it easy to install? I notice that there's one on the BMW accessories site but my dealer seemed to not know much about it and said it couldn't be factory fitted.
- I'm told my car went into production this week in Germany so does anyone have any thoughts, anecdotes on how long it'll likely take until it's delivered to Massachusetts?
- I didn;t order the bluetooth option as didn't want to pay extra for BMW Assist... anyone know if it's easy to retrofit a bluetooth option easily into a 2011 model?
- Does anyone have any experience in living in the NorthEast and not switching to winter tires over the winter months? I've never had to do this in my previous Audi TT, VW Golf etc. (not RWD I know) so wondered if this is really a necessity?

That's it for now, many thanks in advance!
Advertisement
Old 08-24-2010, 07:14 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 128i
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your order. I ordered my 128i on July 3rd, Production was complete on July 23rd. It is currently on a ship from Germany on it's way to California and according to the Ports website, it is to dock this Friday so I should have it delivered to my dealer early next week. I should be picking it up by the end of next week. It's been a long wait, however it is finally coming to an end. I have driven my local BMW dealers crazy because I have been going around to all of them, test driving their 128s that they have in stock. Am I crazy or what. Anyway your sales rep will have the complete details on dates. Don't go by the BMW website because they were never correct. It still says my car is "On Order" even though I'll pick it up next week.

Unfortunately I don't have any of the other answers for you. I'm sure someone else will chime in with those.

LS.

Last edited by lsteiner; 08-24-2010 at 07:15 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 3.0si
congrats and welcome to the forum. i have a base 328i manual sport package. While i live in Atlanta, i grew up in the northeast and mountain west. I can tell you from experience that the summer tires that come on the BMW's are no match for cold temperatures (they get very hard) and snow (zero traction). Throw in rear drive and you'll never survive the winter. The few snows we had in Atlanta last winter were pretty much undriveable in my car. Do yourself a favor and get 4 snows. It'll make your summer tires last twice as long so it won't cost more in the long run.

I also special ordered my car from Germany in 2008. I recollect it took like 8 weeks or something. It was a bit quicker than what I was quoted at the dealer.

Last, I am an avid biker. My first option to move my bike is I put it in my car (i have folding rear seats for this reason). My second option is I use my wife's audi A4 wagon with a roof mounted Thule rack. My third option is I have a trunk mounted rack (Yakima) that is OK. I don't like using it because it might scratch the car, dent the trunk (unlikely) and provides no theft protection. If I only had my 328, I would by a roof rack from Thule or Yakima, not a trunk rack. Much more options with that, more security and less road spray if it's raining.

Good luck-
Old 08-24-2010, 07:31 PM

Mein Auto: cardboard box with wheels
Not a BMW owner myself but currently looking into it and about to post myself - was a long time Mass native though. My brother has owned 3 BMWs there and currently owns a 328i and a 5 series sportswagen. Living in Newton, MA he highly recommends the winter tires and frankly back when I lived there I regularly saw BMWs sliding around in the winter on the roads. This is fairly far from the expert opinion you are likely looking for but based on personal observation and the experience of my family which has quite a few BMWs between them in MA I would recommend the winter tires. Between 10 years in MA and 5 years living in Maine I can tell you that a BMW without winter tires is a bad idea. Of course you can always chance it and hope for a soft snowbank.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 3.0si
one more thought on the bike rack. If you don't move around bikes that much, then the trunk racks from Yakima ore Saris would probably be fine. If you're truly an avid biker and use it alot, then you need the longevity, security and stability of a professional roof mounted system. Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:07 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: 07 E92 328i,11 135i,10 Fj
Welcome to the Fest!
Old 08-27-2010, 06:00 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlpnov View Post
Hello everyone,

Hopefully I'm writing this in the right part of this forum... just wanted to introduce myself as a new member to these forums. I just put in and order for my first ever BMW, a 128i manual transmission with a couple of add-on options.

I've looked around the forum and can't seem to find an answer to a couple of questions I had, however (apologies if these have been covered elsewhere!)

- does anyone have any recommendations for a good rear mounted bike rack and is it easy to install? I notice that there's one on the BMW accessories site but my dealer seemed to not know much about it and said it couldn't be factory fitted.
- I'm told my car went into production this week in Germany so does anyone have any thoughts, anecdotes on how long it'll likely take until it's delivered to Massachusetts?
- I didn;t order the bluetooth option as didn't want to pay extra for BMW Assist... anyone know if it's easy to retrofit a bluetooth option easily into a 2011 model?
- Does anyone have any experience in living in the NorthEast and not switching to winter tires over the winter months? I've never had to do this in my previous Audi TT, VW Golf etc. (not RWD I know) so wondered if this is really a necessity?

That's it for now, many thanks in advance!
Congrats and welcome. I'm sure you're going to love your car, but I predict you will regret not ordering bluetooth.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 09-21-2010, 11:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 E93 & 2014 F30
Don't trust the rear bike rack go with the OEM roof mount bike rack and you be happy with the decision. Check out my set up.
2009 E82 ( Sold )
2006 E90 ( Sold )
2001 E46 ( Sold )

My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Old 09-21-2010, 11:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 E93 & 2014 F30
New member and new BMW 128i owner!

Forgot to upload picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1DSCN4104.jpg