Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E23 / E32 (1977 - 1994)

7 Series - E23 / E32 (1977 - 1994)

Old 08-24-2010, 10:08 PM

Mein Auto: 1986 BMW 735i
1986 735i - Intermittant rough start, dying at idle and loss of power.

First Post! Been lurking for a while but thought I would see if anyone on this forum can lead me in the right direction with my beamer. Not very mechanically inclined.

1986 735i with 140,000 miles.

Runs/drives and starts up ok most of the time but has a intermittant problem which is keeping it from being my daily driver.

Starts up 90% of the time first try but occasionally takes several cranks before it fires or sometimes will not start up at all. Then fires up first try the next day.

Occasionally dies when idling at stops or when slowing down.

Occasionally loses power when driving. Will have my foot on the gas and suddenly lose power (gas) for a few seconds.

Will go a day or 2 with no problems at all then have day where it has all these problems. Been driving it with these issues for about 6 months.

It really seems like a fuel system problem. Have replaced the Fuel pump, fuel filter, air filter, fuel pump relay and spark plugs. None of these have made much of a difference.

Any ideas?? Any help would be much appreciated. Stressfull driving this thing in traffic. Thanks
Advertisement
Old 08-25-2010, 04:56 PM
Old Fogey

Mein Auto: BMW '95 840
Here is a place to start reading http://www.e38.org/e23/

Not a lot of older 7 posters on here. Mostly just those who have a problem.
'98 740i
'00 Range Rover Vitesse
www.wuffer.net
www.8coupe.com
www.8er.org
Old 08-29-2010, 11:56 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
i would start by checking the crank signal when it acts up. they can be goofy sometimes and create a lot of driveability issues.

df
Old 12-07-2010, 11:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E38, e23, e3
I had the same issues in my 87 535i with the same engine. I thought it was the MAF, but it ended up being the ECU.
There is a single solder joint that gets corrosion and cuts off the fuel.
I bought a second hand ECU at a yard, and never had the issue again.
There are posts that talk about resoldering the trouble point, but I didn't have success at it. Apparently it's a common problem.
Let us know what happens.
Good luck.