Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 08-25-2010, 10:04 AM

Mein Auto: Bmw550
Test drive 550i and 750i

I drove both cars yesterday. I currently have a 550i. It became clear in the first few minutes that the 7 was not for me. It's a beautiful car - but too big.
The 550 was fantastic. It's more refined than the old model and the V8 twin turbo has loads of power.

Color wise I like the graphite with the oyster leather. Optioned out with the M sport package the list was 71,125. The dealer threw out 69,000 as we left. I will go back in a few weeks or so to see if we can make a deal.

Bottom line - great car.
Ads by Google
Old 08-25-2010, 10:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 SL63
Also test drove both recently. I did not care for the 750il. It had plenty of power but did not feel linear, a little quicker than my S550. Handling was upsetting. I expected a more buttoned down sporty feel, it was not. I will admit, I do not know which packages the car had, the sticker was $104,xxx. I had it in sport and sport+ and it just seemed to wallow around. It was certainly not as tight as my 550 with the AMG sport package. I would sooner keep my car than go for the 750.

Now the 550, WOW. I have had two E550's (a 2007 and a 2010) and this car just rocks them. I cannot wait to drive the iX. It was tight, buttoned down but not obtrusive. I know there is a lot of complaints from people with regards to the steering. The comments might all be true, but what BMW has done is fired a shot right in the heart of MB. I would never consider a BMW before because I found the interiors to be too dark and drab. This car is on par or better than anything from MB and is far better than Audi. The steering/chassis feel and comfort has balanced out perfectly that BMW can now really chisel away at MB owners who don't want a car that gets too fussy evryday but can really shine when needed. Most days I drive to work in sublime peacefulness. Every once in a while I beat the piss out of my car and she surprises me everytime the way she asks for more. The 5501 seems to still have that luxury stance with a nice sinister tone. I'm looking forward to ordering one...

2013 SL63 AMG black....
2012 750IL x drive, imperial blue/oyster, a finely loaded beater car...
2014 GL350 loaded for the wifey...
2012 650 Cabriolet M sport (gone)
2011 550ix M sport (gone)
Old 08-25-2010, 11:34 AM
550 XI M Sport F10

Mein Auto: 550 xi Msport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonjjb View Post
I drove both cars yesterday. I currently have a 550i. It became clear in the first few minutes that the 7 was not for me. It's a beautiful car - but too big.
The 550 was fantastic. It's more refined than the old model and the V8 twin turbo has loads of power.

Color wise I like the graphite with the oyster leather. Optioned out with the M sport package the list was 71,125. The dealer threw out 69,000 as we left. I will go back in a few weeks or so to see if we can make a deal.

Bottom line - great car.
i paid 1200 over invoice
Old 08-25-2010, 12:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonjjb View Post

Bottom line - great car.
I have a similar car on order. 550xi w/ M Sport + a few other options. MSRP was $71,595. Im doing European Delivery and intend on flying to Munich for 2 nights, dropping the car off, and flying back. European delivery price is $64,020.

If you want to save $3.5k and have a look at where the cars are made, its worth considering ED. Flights from NY is approx + 2 nights in a hotel.

Last edited by RNarang; 08-25-2010 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilner View Post
The comments might all be true, but what BMW has done is fired a shot right in the heart of MB. I would never consider a BMW before because I found the interiors to be too dark and drab. This car is on par or better than anything from MB and is far better than Audi. The steering/chassis feel and comfort has balanced out perfectly that BMW can now really chisel away at MB owners who don't want a car that gets too fussy evryday but can really shine when needed. Most days I drive to work in sublime peacefulness. Every once in a while I beat the piss out of my car and she surprises me everytime the way she asks for more. The 5501 seems to still have that luxury stance with a nice sinister tone. I'm looking forward to ordering one...
BMW had thousands of folks just like you in mind when they set out designing the new 5. Mission accomplished.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Xwen View Post
BMW had thousands of folks just like you in mind when they set out designing the new 5. Mission accomplished.
And I look forward to becoming an owner. Hopefully everyone can accept me even if I like the steering

2013 SL63 AMG black....
Old 08-25-2010, 06:54 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Also test drove both recently. I did not care for the 750il. It had plenty of power but did not feel linear, a little quicker than my S550. Handling was upsetting. I expected a more buttoned down sporty feel, it was not. I will admit, I do not know which packages the car had, the sticker was $104,xxx. I had it in sport and sport+ and it just seemed to wallow around. It was certainly not as tight as my 550 with the AMG sport package. I would sooner keep my car than go for the 750.

Now the 550, WOW. I have had two E550's (a 2007 and a 2010) and this car just rocks them. I cannot wait to drive the iX. It was tight, buttoned down but not obtrusive. I know there is a lot of complaints from people with regards to the steering. The comments might all be true, but what BMW has done is fired a shot right in the heart of MB. I would never consider a BMW before because I found the interiors to be too dark and drab. This car is on par or better than anything from MB and is far better than Audi. The steering/chassis feel and comfort has balanced out perfectly that BMW can now really chisel away at MB owners who don't want a car that gets too fussy evryday but can really shine when needed. Most days I drive to work in sublime peacefulness. Every once in a while I beat the piss out of my car and she surprises me everytime the way she asks for more. The 5501 seems to still have that luxury stance with a nice sinister tone. I'm looking forward to ordering one...
What did your S550 with sport sticker for? What year?

Keep Right, Except to Pass

Than & Then usage - "It was hotter than hades (comparison). Then later on (time) it got cool."

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune - I like it!
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

BMW CCA member #388003 - www.bmwcca.org Use me as a referral, you could win a one day ///M Driving School!
Old 08-25-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
What did your S550 with sport sticker for? What year?
It is a 2007. The sticker was $101,xxx.

2013 SL63 AMG black....
Old 08-26-2010, 01:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650 Coupe, 323i
Quote:
It is a 2007. The sticker was $101,xxx.
How would you compare your S550 to the F10 550, I know you compared it to the E550 in your post but I was wanting to know how the F10 compares with your S550 seeing the big price difference.

2012, 650i Coupe, Carbon Black, Black Nappa leather, M Sport , CWP,DAP, IAS, 20" Wheels,
BMWCCA Member since 07/2008
Old 08-26-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elias View Post
How would you compare your S550 to the F10 550, I know you compared it to the E550 in your post but I was wanting to know how the F10 compares with your S550 seeing the big price difference.
They are obviously different cars. My long story heavily shortened:

I traded in my '07 E550 for a 2010 E550. By my own stupidity I did not fully evaluate the car. I loved my '07 E and I figured they improved on things so I leased it after only a brief drive. Lets just say I hated the car. To top it off I had a suspension that kept losing air. MB eventually lemoned the car without fuss if I took another car. I said what the heck I'll take an S550. I purchased a beautiful '07 S550 fairly well loaded. Now for comparison:

The S class-
-Tons of power whenever you need it. The car is deceptively fast, it builds speed with no rush or surge. It is just smooth, linear and mean when needed.
-Tranny is awesome. Same as my W211 E, it knows what you are doing before you ask for it. If only the floored upshifts were a touch quicker.
-Steering is accurate but not very involving. A BMW purist would hate it. But like many things MB delivered on with the car, the steering would be considered near perfect by anyone who actually wants the car.
-The ride quality is like no experience I have ever had. I am talking about ocean liner smooth but confident. This car is a gentleman's thoroughbred. It delivers with grace and poise; it lets you know the road is there but it doesn't intrude. It doesn't wallow and bounce, it is always ready to take that corner with confidence at triple the speed limit. I am not a good enough writer to put to words how great the car rides!
-It is quiet, almost too quiet. I had a car beep at me from behind and I could barely perceive that there was a noise. I though my car was making it, it was so muffled.
-The exterior is stunning. I love the design, I would certainly prefer the headlights/rear changes off the 2010, but I will love my car just the same. The car calmly announces it's arrival. Your eyes just get glued to the design, the opulence, it does not mimic other vehicles or make apologies- it just says 'I'm a Mercedes Benz, I'm the S class' and you respect her for it.
-The interior, aahhhh the interior. It is difficult for a manufacturer, even MB, to come up with an interior to compete or even beat this car. Every surface has a look and feel like it is from a custom coach. The overall design is fluid and very well thought out. Storage is everywhere. There are hidden compartments everywhere. The interior is also HUGE. I am 6'5" and weigh 260 (yes I know, I'm working on it) and I feel small in this car. I can move the seat so far back that I CAN'T REACH THE PEDALS!! I have to RAISE the seat. I have never in my life raised the seat in a vehicle, even all of my SUV's. The seats make layzboys seem like church pews (I can only imagine dynamic ones).

All in all the car is awesome. My major gripe comes from the size. It is just huge! The car is just a tad smaller than an ESV. On the highway it is hunkered down and charges like a bull taking corners that would make any BMW lover, or Porsche for that matter, proud. Around town is another thing. The size and weight works against you. It feels a little bloated. Most of my driving is around town which works against me. I also prefer getting new cars as I am ridiculously anal with them and I find few other people are. I am also getting a little tired of MB's controls. Nothing wrong with them, I just find the screen to be bland and I am ready to experience another manufacturers way of doing it.

The 550i (x):

-First off I love the look. I could not stand the last generation. Nothing personal to those who have it or love it, but I felt like it looks like a block of cheese that melted out in the sun. The new car has a beautiful presence on paper and in person.
-The interior is beautiful. This is the first interior (and 750i which I saw also) that I believe gives MB a run for the money. I never cared for the all black same textured interiors of yesterdays BMW.
-The engine. Wow, powerful is a word. It is no where as linear as the 5.5L in MB's, but it builds power fast and has tons of go. Frankly I can't wait to see MB's new turbo 8 that competes, that should be an amazing engine.
-Tranny. So far so good. It has the necessary ingredients. I will need more seat time to evaluate.
-Steering was accurate and responsive. Others may hate it, but it nails the target demographic- 98% of 5er owners and nearly all MB owners.
-Ride was great. It was buttoned down and handled with fury but never felt harsh like the last gen 550i I drove. I like that the car is comfortable to drive everyday but can rock when needed.

That's all for now. I need far more seat time to really give a detailed writeup on the car.
In the end though, the E class just got owned...

2013 SL63 AMG black....
Old 08-26-2010, 07:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650 Coupe, 323i
Quote:

I traded in my '07 E550 for a 2010 E550. By my own stupidity I did not fully evaluate the car. I loved my '07 E and I figured they improved on things so I leased it after only a brief drive. Lets just say I hated the car. To top it off I had a suspension that kept losing air. MB eventually lemoned the car without fuss if I took another car. I said what the heck I'll take an S550. I purchased a beautiful '07 S550 fairly well loaded. Now for comparison:

The S class-
-Tons of power whenever you need it. The car is deceptively fast, it builds speed with no rush or surge. It is just smooth, linear and mean when needed.
-Tranny is awesome. Same as my W211 E, it knows what you are doing before you ask for it. If only the floored upshifts were a touch quicker.
-Steering is accurate but not very involving. A BMW purist would hate it. But like many things MB delivered on with the car, the steering would be considered near perfect by anyone who actually wants the car.
-The ride quality is like no experience I have ever had. I am talking about ocean liner smooth but confident. This car is a gentleman's thoroughbred. It delivers with grace and poise; it lets you know the road is there but it doesn't intrude. It doesn't wallow and bounce, it is always ready to take that corner with confidence at triple the speed limit. I am not a good enough writer to put to words how great the car rides!
-It is quiet, almost too quiet. I had a car beep at me from behind and I could barely perceive that there was a noise. I though my car was making it, it was so muffled.
-The exterior is stunning. I love the design, I would certainly prefer the headlights/rear changes off the 2010, but I will love my car just the same. The car calmly announces it's arrival. Your eyes just get glued to the design, the opulence, it does not mimic other vehicles or make apologies- it just says 'I'm a Mercedes Benz, I'm the S class' and you respect her for it.
-The interior, aahhhh the interior. It is difficult for a manufacturer, even MB, to come up with an interior to compete or even beat this car. Every surface has a look and feel like it is from a custom coach. The overall design is fluid and very well thought out. Storage is everywhere. There are hidden compartments everywhere. The interior is also HUGE. I am 6'5" and weigh 260 (yes I know, I'm working on it) and I feel small in this car. I can move the seat so far back that I CAN'T REACH THE PEDALS!! I have to RAISE the seat. I have never in my life raised the seat in a vehicle, even all of my SUV's. The seats make layzboys seem like church pews (I can only imagine dynamic ones).

All in all the car is awesome. My major gripe comes from the size. It is just huge! The car is just a tad smaller than an ESV. On the highway it is hunkered down and charges like a bull taking corners that would make any BMW lover, or Porsche for that matter, proud. Around town is another thing. The size and weight works against you. It feels a little bloated. Most of my driving is around town which works against me. I also prefer getting new cars as I am ridiculously anal with them and I find few other people are. I am also getting a little tired of MB's controls. Nothing wrong with them, I just find the screen to be bland and I am ready to experience another manufacturers way of doing it.

The 550i (x):

-First off I love the look. I could not stand the last generation. Nothing personal to those who have it or love it, but I felt like it looks like a block of cheese that melted out in the sun. The new car has a beautiful presence on paper and in person.
-The interior is beautiful. This is the first interior (and 750i which I saw also) that I believe gives MB a run for the money. I never cared for the all black same textured interiors of yesterdays BMW.
-The engine. Wow, powerful is a word. It is no where as linear as the 5.5L in MB's, but it builds power fast and has tons of go. Frankly I can't wait to see MB's new turbo 8 that competes, that should be an amazing engine.
-Tranny. So far so good. It has the necessary ingredients. I will need more seat time to evaluate.
-Steering was accurate and responsive. Others may hate it, but it nails the target demographic- 98% of 5er owners and nearly all MB owners.
-Ride was great. It was buttoned down and handled with fury but never felt harsh like the last gen 550i I drove. I like that the car is comfortable to drive everyday but can rock when needed.

That's all for now. I need far more seat time to really give a detailed writeup on the car.
Awesome thanks you for the comparo it was very informative!

2012, 650i Coupe, Carbon Black, Black Nappa leather, M Sport , CWP,DAP, IAS, 20" Wheels,
BMWCCA Member since 07/2008
Old 08-27-2010, 07:17 AM
A US Autobahn supporter!

Mein Auto: BMW 528i w/sport pack
Quote:

The S class-

The 550i (x):

+1... great comparison... sounded very fair...

BTW... welcome to the family...

"Rules of My Road Bible"

Chapter 19, Verse 23

"Speeding is a matter of perception. If you're behind me then to you I'm speeding."
Old 08-27-2010, 07:48 AM

Quote:
=Walksbimmer;5426058
BTW... welcome to the family...
Thank you

2013 SL63 AMG black....