Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series

3 Series / 4 Series
The 3 Series / 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 12-13-2003, 11:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 04 330i SP 6 speed
Question LoJack, Extended Warrenty, Paint Protection ....??

Hi

During the delivery, my dealer is trying to see me these item (LoJack, Extended Warrenty, Paint Protection, Clear Armor .... a lot bunch of things ). Does any of these item worth the money?

Specially for LoJack, I have heard alot discription about it, does any one has LoJack installed in their E46? Is that necessary? Useful? Worth the cost? My dealer is asking ~$900 for it. Thanks for the any advice!

eel
Ads by Google
Old 12-14-2003, 12:06 AM

Send a message via AIM to miami323
Mein Auto: 2000 323 ci
here....

depending on the milage of the car.... call this number 1800-831-1117 its the BMW customer care number ..ask them any questions that you might have .. I have never heard of special dealer offered things like that ... but in general the bmw warranty is good till 50,000 miles i believe and then there starts to be alot of "gray" areas as to what is covered .. (I purchased a car with 38,000) and was told that I would be covered for everything ... and even asked specifically about parts like the clutch and what not .. well.. i just blew mine at 54,000 and come to find out it wasnt covered at all .... so be careful AND make sure to get every thing in writing ..
Old 12-14-2003, 12:15 AM

Send a message via AIM to mickey513
Mein Auto: e46
You can get lowjack cheaper outside. Even my credit card company offered it to me for $600 installed. The paint protection is NOT NEEDED. You can wax you car like 2 times a year and it's more then enough protection. Usually the stuff the dealer sell you are worthless and overprice. I avoided all of those when I bought my car. They were trying to sell me paint guard, window etching, leather guard and all those other crap. I kindly said no thanks to all.

Last edited by mickey513; 12-14-2003 at 08:36 AM.
Old 12-14-2003, 02:13 AM
Astigmatic Visionary

Mein Auto: 325Cic-Topaz-Sand
Many people in Metro areas swear by Lojack,it depends on your environs/paranoia level.Stay far far away from any Rust & Dust package,worthless to you,sometimes counterproductive and the "warranties" that come with them are worthless.How many annual professional detailings could you pay for with that money? Also keep in mind that unless you are buyng the car outright with cash the actual cost of these extras is higher if rolled in the Loan/Lease. All that aside,Congratulations on the new car,You'll love it!
Old 12-14-2003, 02:45 AM

Mein Auto: '02 E39 M5
I never bothered to buy any of the dealer-offered services. To me, it's just a way for the dealership to make extra money from you.

LoLoJack is a good idea if you live in a high car theft area. You might want to shop around. They also offer different packages so it's the best to look into that.

Extended warranty...
I bought my '95 Honda brand new and as is. 8 years later, the car is still running perfect and the extended warranty would have been a waste. As for my Bimmer, it's a CPO car and it comes with the extended warranty anyway so I bought this car as is, too! The financing lady was trying to sell me wheel/tire protection warranty, extended maintaince program, and a whole bunch of other crap and I said "no" to all of them.

Paint/fabric protection is just pure profit for the dealerships. Don't even bother to consider it.
Old 12-14-2003, 03:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 325Ci Vert
I voted YES on Lo-Jack for the following reasons:

A) I live in the HIGHEST Car Insurance state in the nation - New Jersey, and my insurer took 25% of my Comp by getting the LoJack

B) It adds to resale value since for about ~$50 it can be transferred to the new owner. There are no ongoing fees with LoJack

C) A LITTLE more peace of mind

D) If my car is stolen and the police catch the guys driving it because of LoJack, there is a certain satisfaction in knowing it MIGHT put them somewhere where they can't do it again or to someone else..

BTW, since LoJack requires some tapping into the electrical system, and dealers can be real anal about warranty infringements, it was worth the extra couple of bucks to have it installed at the dealer and therefore covered by the new car warranty..

Just my 2 cents...

ED
Old 12-14-2003, 08:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i M-Sport EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDCO
I voted YES on Lo-Jack for the following reasons:

A) I live in the HIGHEST Car Insurance state in the nation - New Jersey, and my insurer took 25% of my Comp by getting the LoJack

B) It adds to resale value since for about ~$50 it can be transferred to the new owner. There are no ongoing fees with LoJack

C) A LITTLE more peace of mind

D) If my car is stolen and the police catch the guys driving it because of LoJack, there is a certain satisfaction in knowing it MIGHT put them somewhere where they can't do it again or to someone else..

BTW, since LoJack requires some tapping into the electrical system, and dealers can be real anal about warranty infringements, it was worth the extra couple of bucks to have it installed at the dealer and therefore covered by the new car warranty..

Just my 2 cents...

ED
Isn't the need to LoJack superceded by BMW Assist? The system is able to provide vehicle location automatically via GPS during an emergency airbag deployment. Unfortunately none of the BMW releases I have seen indicate that they can remotely have the car respond and provide location. GM's OnStar has this capability and have read how cars were recovered using OnStar tracking.

I recently received a flyer directly from LoJack offering it for $595 and they would come to your office to install it. If I were to get it I would also get the early warning recovery system. That is basically a pager that e-mails, pages, calls your cell phone, etc. as soon as your car is move without authorization. Without it you do not know your car has been stolen until you return looking for it. I would hate coming looking for my car at 5 PM when it has been stolen that morning. Since the LoJack does not have 100% nationwide coverage, if your car taken out of the LoJack service area you are not going to be able to track it.
Old 12-14-2003, 10:26 AM
Rest in peace, Coach

Mein Auto: '06 MZ4C, '09 WRX Wagon
If your car is EVER stolen, do you really want it back all hack'ed up and it's bits and pieces missing?

You are better off having the insurance company declare a total loss when the vehicle isn't recovered, than to have the insurance company try to put what was hacked apart back together once they've recovered the vehicle.

And I've never seen ANY insurance carrier give discounts for lo-jack.
Old 12-14-2003, 10:42 AM
OMGWTFBBQ

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK
If your car is EVER stolen, do you really want it back all hack'ed up and it's bits and pieces missing?

You are better off having the insurance company declare a total loss when the vehicle isn't recovered, than to have the insurance company try to put what was hacked apart back together once they've recovered the vehicle.

And I've never seen ANY insurance carrier give discounts for lo-jack.
Most major carriers do give discounts for Lo Jack these days. Lo Jack equipped cars are usually recovered so quickly that they don't have anything more than the initial damage...window or door lock and steering column/ignition and not much else.

When I bought my wagon two years ago, they tried to sell me the Lo Jack and I said no. First price was something like $600 or $800. By the end, they were offering it "at cost" of $450ish and I still didn't take it. When I bought the RX-8 last month, their pitch for LoJack was $850. I heard another F&I guy offering it to someone else "at cost" of $400ish. My best guess is that the true cost is in the low-mid $300s Anyone in the know want to comment?

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 12-14-2003, 11:14 AM

Just to let you know, not every city or police station has a lojack tracer machine. Plus, like what others pointed out. If someone stole my car, I wouldn't want it back. Most major carriers will give a discount for lojack but the amount is so insignificant that it will takes years before the discount = the cost of lowjack.
Old 12-14-2003, 11:59 AM
2 pieces dry white toast

Send a message via ICQ to Elwood
Mein Auto: Mystic '04 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey513
Just to let you know, not every city or police station has a lojack tracer machine. Plus, like what others pointed out. If someone stole my car, I wouldn't want it back. Most major carriers will give a discount for lojack but the amount is so insignificant that it will takes years before the discount = the cost of lowjack.
I got lojack for my 98 eclipse for about 500 it saved me $150/mo in insurance. That was the primary reason to get it.

Like someone said, if they take the car out of the coverage area, your SOL. A salesman I was working with had his car stolen and it was taken into Manhatten. Police said sorry we can't trace it in there. As soon as the thief took it into Brooklyn they got nailed and he had his car back.

I skipped it in my Bimmer ($600) I also rejected all the other goodies they tried to hard sell me, like window etching (why finance something for $280!). Ended up getting a DIY etch kit thru my insurance co. for a whooping $15

- 2004 BMW 330Ci - Mystic Blue - Sports Pkg - Hole in Roof -
- Bum Warmers - M3 Wheel - ZHP Knob - Arai for the noggin -
- UUC Swaybarbarians - To tell me this is a repost, get in line -
Old 12-14-2003, 12:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i M-Sport EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwood
I got lojack for my 98 eclipse for about 500 it saved me $150/mo in insurance. That was the primary reason to get it.
Insurance companies give discounts for having PASSIVE theft protection systems. This includes LoJack, automatically arming alarms, and cars with chips in keys (like BMW Code Driveaway Protection). So there would not be any additional discount on a BMW.
Old 12-15-2003, 08:51 AM

Mein Auto: '14 535ix
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDV330i
Insurance companies give discounts for having PASSIVE theft protection systems. This includes LoJack, automatically arming alarms, and cars with chips in keys (like BMW Code Driveaway Protection). So there would not be any additional discount on a BMW.
Yep, I sent my insurer the window sticker that says "coded driveway protection" and I got 10% off. I don't think I'll get any other discount if I get LoJack.

My question is: is it really needed (apart from the ins savings)? Anybody has statistics about how many BMWs actually get stollen? I'm not talking about other cars. I'm under the impression that the coded driveway protection really works, and a BMW being stollen is rather an exception than a common occurence. Am I wrong?
Old 12-15-2003, 09:50 AM

The chance of your BMW getting stolen is VERY SLIM. The only way someone is going to steal your car is if they got a hold of your keys or they towed it. I was offer lowjack for $600 installed, but said no thanks after I found out how small the discount from the insurance was for equipping my car with lowjack.