Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 08-26-2010, 11:37 AM

Mein Auto: Acura
535xi -- should I get it???

Love the 5 series, but getting spooked by all of the "this is not a real bimmer" stuff. I am looking for a nice, but not over the top, executive class sedan. Something I can drive clients around in and enjoy myself. Infiniti M seems like the closest competitor. Don't want to drive Benz. Don't like Lexus. Audi A6 is tired. Acuras are getting unsightly. So it's either the Infiniti or the 5 series. If I'm not going to get the bimmer feel, then maybe I should "settle" for the M. Thoughts?
Advertisement
Old 08-26-2010, 11:41 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: M6 F12
Drive them both and decide for yourself!
Old 08-26-2010, 12:28 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 550i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJones View Post
Love the 5 series, but getting spooked by all of the "this is not a real bimmer" stuff. I am looking for a nice, but not over the top, executive class sedan. Something I can drive clients around in and enjoy myself. Infiniti M seems like the closest competitor. Don't want to drive Benz. Don't like Lexus. Audi A6 is tired. Acuras are getting unsightly. So it's either the Infiniti or the 5 series. If I'm not going to get the bimmer feel, then maybe I should "settle" for the M. Thoughts?
If you want the Bimmer feel then make sure you test a car with DHP, Sport package, and IAS. The Infiniti won't even come close, but the BMW will be a LOT more expensive.
550i xDrive/ImperialBlue/Beige/anthracite/DHP/sport/vent seats/convience/cold weather/driver assistance/prem 2/sport trans/fold down rears/4 zone/ACC/HUD/cameras/night vision/ipod and smart integration.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:21 PM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
From what you describe the new 5 seems right up your alley. As much as I respect the BF community, it's more a narrow cross section of BMW owners. The general public who are looking for a "executive class sedan" will welcome the F10, as it's much more comfortable than the E60 in every way.
As far as the Infiniti M goes, it's a decent value especially the M37. One word of caution if you decide to go that route, is that although the sport version in that car makes it look "cooler" the bigger rims and tires make for punishing ride quality. Unlike the 5 you can't adjust the suspension settings. Stick with the stock tires and wheels.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3; 2011 550i
My wife and I just went through a tour of all of the vehicles in this category. Our findings were as follows: 1) Infiniti M37--nice car, somewhat rough ride even in non-sport version with no ability to adjust suspension and handling qualities; 2) Acura RL-dated; 3) Acura TL-nice sporty characteristics with good handling but limited color and trim options. Also, not very upscale; 4) BMW 535 very comfortable with excellent acceleration and handling but was almost too soft in basic configuration. Lacked good connection to the road and steering feel. Very expensive when optioned out to provide performance, handling, and feature upgrades we desired; 5) Jaguar XJ--our favorite! More expensive but with excellent handling, performance and basic features present without many expensive option packages needed. Very surprised after the test drive to like this the best. We would put the 535 second.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wessew View Post
My wife and I just went through a tour of all of the vehicles in this category. Our findings were as follows: 1) Infiniti M37--nice car, somewhat rough ride even in non-sport version with no ability to adjust suspension and handling qualities; 2) Acura RL-dated; 3) Acura TL-nice sporty characteristics with good handling but limited color and trim options. Also, not very upscale; 4) BMW 535 very comfortable with excellent acceleration and handling but was almost too soft in basic configuration. Lacked good connection to the road and steering feel. Very expensive when optioned out to provide performance, handling, and feature upgrades we desired; 5) Jaguar XJ--our favorite! More expensive but with excellent handling, performance and basic features present without many expensive option packages needed. Very surprised after the test drive to like this the best. We would put the 535 second.
I agree with these rankings, maybe for different reasons, but the order I agree with.

If you're going to look at the XJ, at 385hp, you also need to look at the 550i. The XJ base price is even higher than the 550i, so car for car probably a more accurate comparison.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 E550 4matic
Of course if you are going to spend all that money you could probably get a V8 powered M57... I would definitely test drive both.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munich77 View Post
Of course if you are going to spend all that money you could probably get a V8 powered M57... I would definitely test drive both.
True.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
My advice would be to wait until the X-drive is properly reviewed by "pros" and in forums like this. If the steering is back to bmw standards the F10 will be hard to beat. The Jag does drive very nice but if resale value and reliability is of your concerns an F10 with proper steering and DHP will be the better option imo.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:04 PM

Thanks for the feedback

This is very helpful feedback. Much appreciated.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 SL63
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadtaggert View Post
I agree with these rankings, maybe for different reasons, but the order I agree with.

If you're going to look at the XJ, at 385hp, you also need to look at the 550i. The XJ base price is even higher than the 550i, so car for car probably a more accurate comparison.
I was on the fence with an XJ supercharged. Beautiful car in and out. Stunning ride quality. All in all a great value...

2015 S550 Anthracite blue, Silk, loaded and doin just fine...
2013 SL63 AMG black....
2012 750IL x drive, imperial blue/oyster, a finely loaded beater car...
2014 GL350 loaded for the wifey...
2012 650 Cabriolet M sport (gone)
Old 08-27-2010, 12:40 PM
Goodchip

Mein Auto: 2011 535i, Space Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
From what you describe the new 5 seems right up your alley. As much as I respect the BF community, it's more a narrow cross section of BMW owners. The general public who are looking for a "executive class sedan" will welcome the F10, as it's much more comfortable than the E60 in every way.
As far as the Infiniti M goes, it's a decent value especially the M37. One word of caution if you decide to go that route, is that although the sport version in that car makes it look "cooler" the bigger rims and tires make for punishing ride quality. Unlike the 5 you can't adjust the suspension settings. Stick with the stock tires and wheels.
Couldn't agree more.
The OP sounds like me. Looking for a (really) nice not over the top executive class sedan.
And a little cachet. 535i fits the bill perfectly.
For some reason I still can't shake the "upscale Nissan" image of the Infiniti.
I guess it goes back to the day when an Infiniti I30 was just a rebadged Maxima.

Unless you are a true enthusiast, I believe the steering will be a non issue, just like it is a complete non issue for me.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodchip View Post
Unless you are a true enthusiast, I believe the steering will be a non issue, just like it is a complete non issue for me.
As much as I wanna believe I am on the autobahn with some German super model sitting in the passenger seat on our way to the Nurburing. The reality is I'm on the 405 in stop and go traffic on my way to Target. When I need to get the speed fix, that's when a Porsche is in order. But for everyday driving on the roads here in SoCal that look like they've been carpet bombed. The F10 is a darn good all rounder.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:39 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
This is the same kind of chatter you hear every time a new iteration of a Bimmer model comes along. Except for the very hardcore in two years everyone will be singing the F10's praises.

Go buy the car.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 08-27-2010, 05:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by wessew View Post
I loved the XF too. Great V8 engine more comparable to the 550 than the 535. Ride and handling suited me fine. Also nice that I see very few on the road around me. All this and the price is very attractive.

However, I will probable get the 535 for 2 main reasons. Number 1 is that I like the xDrive for New Egland weather and this is not an option on the Jag. Number 2 the BMW will hold its value MUCH better. If you buy the Jag be prepared for a big depreciation hit.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550XI
Won't disparage the infiniti brand as I think they make fine vehicles. I can tell you that i have owned my m35x for exactly one year. Against the counsel of my dad and others, I didn't
Drive the 2009 5series since I didn't like the look of the rear end. I drove the Lexus, Infiniti and Audi instead. I have owned an Audi and currently own a Lexus 470 which is a tremendous vehicle. Bought the infiniti and am now selling it and have a new 550xi on order.

My advice would be to take the infiniti home for a night if the dealer will let you...mine offered and I should have done so. It is a great driving car but it is loud, very loud, on the highway, so loud that phone conversations are difficult. It is also a rough ride and suspension, etc is one way all the time, no changes possible. I have driven the new M37 and it is better, but not by a wide margin.

Found it quite striking to get back in my m35 after test driving the new 550. The quality and craftsmanship, and the general solidness of the vehicle is, in my opinion, of a completely different and lower caliber than the bimmer. Again, a fine vehicle, but you truly get what you pay for, I think. Having said that, never a single problem on the M, nor with the Lexus, the Japanese make dependable products.
Old 08-28-2010, 04:59 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Found it quite striking to get back in my m35 after test driving the new 550. The quality and craftsmanship, and the general solidness of the vehicle is, in my opinion, of a completely different and lower caliber than the bimmer. Again, a fine vehicle, but you truly get what you pay for, I think. Having said that, never a single problem on the M, nor with the Lexus, the Japanese make dependable products.
Let's remember, the M is, underneath it all, a Nissan. I once looked at the G35, for me it could not compare to MB or BMW in materials and overall cachet.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 08-28-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
Let's remember, the M is, underneath it all, a Nissan. I once looked at the G35, for me it could not compare to MB or BMW in materials and overall cachet.
The M37 starts at 47k. A 528i starts at $45,425. A 535 starts at 50,475.
My point is that Infiniti and the rest of the Japanese luxury brands are no longer the value propositions they once were in the 90's. Yes they build nice cars, that's not in question. But they're all quite ubiquitous, and they have gotten way to aggressive on their pricing. If you've got that much to spend on a car, most people are gonna lean towards, BMW/MB/Audi. There's just something intangible about the German cars .
Old 08-28-2010, 05:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 E550 4matic
Quote:
The M37 starts at 47k. A 528i starts at $45,425. A 535 starts at 50,475.
My point is that Infiniti and the rest of the Japanese luxury brands are no longer the value propositions they once were in the 90's. Yes they build nice cars, that's not in question. But they're all quite ubiquitous, and they have gotten way to aggressive on their pricing. If you've got that much to spend on a car, most people are gonna lean towards, BMW/MB/Audi. There's just something intangible about the German cars .
You are right about the intangible bit for German cars but the Japanese luxury brands still come pretty loaded. I never understood how BMW and Mercedes get away with a standard vinyl interior in the 5 series and E-class.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:59 PM

Took the Plunge

I took the plunge today and got the 535xi. I came to the conclusion that no car compares. Now if I could just get the darn thing . . . Late October . . .
Old 08-29-2010, 01:32 PM
Goodchip

Mein Auto: 2011 535i, Space Grey
Quote:
I took the plunge today and got the 535xi. I came to the conclusion that no car compares. Now if I could just get the darn thing . . . Late October . . .
Congrats! Great choice.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:45 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
OMG, if leather was standard...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munich77 View Post
I never understood how BMW and Mercedes get away with a standard vinyl interior in the 5 series and E-class.
I bet over 80% of 5-series buyers choose leather, but if leather were standard, can't you just hear the screams now? "I can't believe BMW forces me to buy something I don't want and would never have in my car"; "I hate leather and would never choose it over vinyl".

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 08-30-2010, 12:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 z4 28i
535 drove like dream but handling its just a bit softer than what we are used to. wife absolutely loved it
Old 08-30-2010, 07:52 PM
Hofmeister kink ftw!1!!1!

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35i Premium
Quote:
The general public who are looking for a "executive class sedan" will welcome the F10, as it's much more comfortable than the E60 in every way.
I found them much more alike than different. Yes, a bit softer.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:57 PM
Hofmeister kink ftw!1!!1!

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35i Premium
Quote:
No car compares, but we do pay for it.

But when I was shopping, I was hard pressed to find the next-best-thing on the value scale. Cheaper cars seemed so much less; I concluded you have to go down to an Accord to really make a huge difference.