Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 06-10-2014, 01:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 MT
Preventative cooling system work

My 2007 X3 is almost at 100K miles, so I brought it in to my indie shop for a major service.

Everything checked out fine, except the thermostat threw a code.

Shop: We recommend replacing thermostat

Me: Fine

S: While we're doing that, best to do a cooling system flush, the coolant looks ugly.

M: Fine

S: Since everything will be drained, this would be a good time to replace expansion tank.

M: I thought that wasn't a problem with the N52 engine.

S: Not as much as previous engines, but still can be a problem in the next 20K - 30K miles.

M: [thinking: they prevously quoted $440 for expansion tank replacement, which I was holding off on, will cost 1/2 that when it's an add-on to this job. And I blew an engine on an old car with a cooling system failure. And had to have my car towed off one of the SF Bay bridges when an expansion tank cracked on another] OK

M: Anything else, what about water pump?

S: We'll replace water pump for the cost of the part, won't charge you labor at all.

M: [thinking: they previously quoted $1,000 + for water pump replacement which I decided against. But I messed up an engine on an old car of mine when the water pump went out. They'll charge about $500 for the part, less than 1/2 the cost of replacement as a standalone job] OK, let's do it.

M: OK what else?

S: How about upper radiator hose?

M: OK, What about lower radiator hose?

S: OK

Result: about $850 of preventative maintenance, hopefully this will carry me to 200K miles. think I've done everything except replace the radiator and fan. I've had enough major cooling system crises with previous cars, so the idea of piggybacking on the thermostat replacement to get everything else done with minimal labor charge was attractive. I'm a little shell-shocked, but still think I made the right choice.

Also, I fully expected to replace the oxygen sensors at 100K miles, shop quoted $1,000 for that but recommended against it, saying you'll get more miles than the BMW suggested 100K and anyway wait for a code. So I guess I threw the money I expected to pay for oxygen sensors into the cooling system instead.

I'm curious, though, what do you think?
Advertisement
Old 06-10-2014, 02:12 PM

Mein Auto: 08 e83 LCI
So the question is should you pay $1000 for new O2 sensors? No is the answer.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:12 PM

Mein Auto: E60 '08 535xi, E83 '07 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by spokelizard View Post
My 2007 X3 is almost at 100K miles, so I brought it in to my indie shop for a major service. (snip)

Result: about $850 of preventative maintenance...
That's a great deal considering it's about $725 in parts (Internet prices)...
BMWCCA #135536
Old 06-10-2014, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARX3 View Post
That's a great deal considering it's about $725 in parts (Internet prices)...
I thought so. They charged me for 2 hours labor on the thermostat replacement and the coolant flush, all of which had to be done.

Then they charged me 3/4 hour for replacing the reservoir, water pump, and radiator hoses. I assume they have a profit margin on the parts, so they did make some money on the preventative phase, but as you said I thought it was a good deal for me too.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3, 2003 M3
I just did this on mine. I got the thermostat, water pump, and expansion tank for about $550 or so from Tischer. Shop replaced those items, and checked the hoses, which were all still in good shape. Probably paid about 750 when it was all said and done.

And thumbs up on the manual OP!
Old 06-12-2014, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smaglik View Post
I just did this on mine. I got the thermostat, water pump, and expansion tank for about $550 or so from Tischer. Shop replaced those items, and checked the hoses, which were all still in good shape. Probably paid about 750 when it was all said and done.

And thumbs up on the manual OP!
Ah, another MT, great!

How many miles do you have, what motivated you to do this pro-active replacement?

Looks like you got a good deal on parts from Tischer, 20% off list. I paid list, when I buy parts through the shop they warranty the parts as well as the labor for 2 years. Superficial parts I sometimes buy and provide. Major work parts I pay their price for the 2 year warranty.

If I'm understanding it right you paid roughly $200 for shop labor, that's a good deal too! As I said my shop had originally quoted $1000+ to replace the water pump alone. That's about $500 for the part and another $500+ for labor.