Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 01-11-2013, 10:52 PM
x3brian x3brian is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Sacramento CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,007
Mein Auto: X3
Aw---I would focus on using halvoline multi vehicle ATF that is 100% compatible with the texaco spec. It is essentially the same as oem. The texaco fluid is only available as drums and is slightly cost prohibitive to a shade tree mechanic.

Back to your question, yes bmw superseded the pn with the dex6 meaning they discontinued the old fluid and now only have the new one.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 01-11-2013, 10:57 PM
awdrev awdrev is offline
Registered User
Location: Maryland
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 82
Mein Auto: 2004 BMW X3 3.0 Auto Tran
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3brian View Post
Aw---I would focus on using halvoline multi vehicle ATF that is 100% compatible with the texaco spec. It is essentially the same as oem. The texaco fluid is only available as drums and is slightly cost prohibitive to a shade tree mechanic.

Back to your question, yes bmw superseded the pn with the dex6 meaning they discontinued the old fluid and now only have the new one.
Thanks Brian. So, in theory, if I go to the dealer and ask for their recommended fluid they would give me DEX VI, correct? Any idea or range as to what they would charge me per Qtz?

I guess my major goal is to avoid having to go to a pepboys or any store along those lines. I feel better trusting the dealer transaction, at least when it comes to this fluid.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 01-11-2013, 11:05 PM
x3brian x3brian is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Sacramento CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,007
Mein Auto: X3
Personally, I wouldn't use dex 6 on your 5 sp. I would use the halvoline fluid.

Last edited by x3brian; 01-11-2013 at 11:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 01-15-2013, 07:19 AM
awdrev awdrev is offline
Registered User
Location: Maryland
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 82
Mein Auto: 2004 BMW X3 3.0 Auto Tran
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3brian View Post
Personally, I wouldn't use dex 6 on your 5 sp. I would use the halvoline fluid.
Where can I find this Halvoline fluid? I mean I just cannot find the darn thing.... I can google it but what stores do you think carry it?

What do you think of this Liqui Moly Top Tec 1200 which Bavauto recommends?
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 01-15-2013, 07:29 AM
madurodave's Avatar
madurodave madurodave is offline
BMW Enthusiast!
Location: NH
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,577
Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by awdrev View Post
Where can I find this Halvoline fluid? I mean I just cannot find the darn thing.... I can google it but what stores do you think carry it?

What do you think of this Liqui Moly Top Tec 1200 which Bavauto recommends?
Just make sure it is the correct fluid for your trans. Bavarian Auto has been great to me in the past. Their site tells you recommended fluids and quantities.

My only negative on LiquiMoly is I tried the motor oil. I feel my X3 likes Mobil 1 better. The LM seemed to run hotter with more valve noise. Not sure how their trans fluid is. I like Redline so far for my trans and differentials.
__________________
Madurodave

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 01-15-2013, 07:32 AM
awdrev awdrev is offline
Registered User
Location: Maryland
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 82
Mein Auto: 2004 BMW X3 3.0 Auto Tran
Quote:
Originally Posted by madurodave View Post
Just make sure it is the correct fluid for your trans. Bavarian Auto has been great to me in the past. Their site tells you recommended fluids and quantities.

My only negative on LiquiMoly is I tried the motor oil. I feel my X3 likes Mobil 1 better. The LM seemed to run hotter with more valve noise. Not sure how their trans fluid is. I like Redline so far for my trans and differentials.
Wait are you sure Dave? Weren't you the one that used LM in his tranny and I asked you how it was running and you said it was running great? Check page # 2.... lol now i'm confused.

Check out post # 37 and # 47

BavAuto ONLY has that fluid for my 2004 x3 3.0 5 spd.

Last edited by awdrev; 01-15-2013 at 07:33 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 01-15-2013, 09:18 AM
x3brian x3brian is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Sacramento CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,007
Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by awdrev View Post
Where can I find this Halvoline fluid? I mean I just cannot find the darn thing.... I can google it but what stores do you think carry it?

What do you think of this Liqui Moly Top Tec 1200 which Bavauto recommends?
My local napa had it in stock last weekend when I stopped in. They also had Pentosin ATF1 that cross references bmw part number 83229407807....but I think that one is for the zf transmission.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 01-15-2013, 11:05 AM
madurodave's Avatar
madurodave madurodave is offline
BMW Enthusiast!
Location: NH
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,577
Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by awdrev View Post
Wait are you sure Dave? Weren't you the one that used LM in his tranny and I asked you how it was running and you said it was running great? Check page # 2.... lol now i'm confused.

Check out post # 37 and # 47

BavAuto ONLY has that fluid for my 2004 x3 3.0 5 spd.
Yes - sorry! Getting old.

My X3 still did not like the motor oil!

It's strange the way the site specifies Redline D6 for my X3 but when I bought the fluid at the BavAuto store in Pirtsmouth they said use LM. Hopefully no issues. 30k miles since change with smooth shifts though.
__________________
Madurodave

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!

Last edited by madurodave; 01-15-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 01-15-2013, 01:49 PM
awdrev awdrev is offline
Registered User
Location: Maryland
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 82
Mein Auto: 2004 BMW X3 3.0 Auto Tran
Dave, so your car is fine with the LM Fluid... that's good to hear.

I think the ultimate question that every owner faces is this:

1) Choose the OEM recommended fluid which apparently is DEX-III after speaking with the dealer several times.

2) Choose a multi-ATF fluid that "recommends" the Texaco application (i.e., Castrol, Halvoline, etc)

3) Choose to "upgrade" to DEX-VI (I quoted upgrade because that's the question... is it an upgrade?) To make things worse, apparently there's synthetic or synthetic-blend for this kind of fluid... oh what a mess.

I still have not made my mind but I am leaning a little towards Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF... I checked the spec and it is also recommended for the Texaco application.

Any opinions from Dave, Brian, or anyone else?

I will say this, part of making the decision is availability and price, apparently there is a nearby auto store that carries that Castrol fluid but I will check for the halvoline around more.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 01-15-2013, 02:14 PM
madurodave's Avatar
madurodave madurodave is offline
BMW Enthusiast!
Location: NH
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,577
Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by awdrev View Post
Dave, so your car is fine with the LM Fluid... that's good to hear.

I think the ultimate question that every owner faces is this:

1) Choose the OEM recommended fluid which apparently is DEX-III after speaking with the dealer several times.

2) Choose a multi-ATF fluid that "recommends" the Texaco application (i.e., Castrol, Halvoline, etc)

3) Choose to "upgrade" to DEX-VI (I quoted upgrade because that's the question... is it an upgrade?) To make things worse, apparently there's synthetic or synthetic-blend for this kind of fluid... oh what a mess.

I still have not made my mind but I am leaning a little towards Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF... I checked the spec and it is also recommended for the Texaco application.

Any opinions from Dave, Brian, or anyone else?

I will say this, part of making the decision is availability and price, apparently there is a nearby auto store that carries that Castrol fluid but I will check for the halvoline around more.
Castrol makes great lubricants. If the fluid says it meets the specs needed, I am sure it will be fine. The LM is not Dex 6 qualified but has been fine for me.

Are you just doing a drain/fill or also changing the filter? I changed mine at 100k miles. Next will be a drain/fill this summer, around 150k miles. That should take me to 200k miles. By then I will probably look at a newer vehicle.
__________________
Madurodave

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 01-15-2013, 02:23 PM
awdrev awdrev is offline
Registered User
Location: Maryland
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 82
Mein Auto: 2004 BMW X3 3.0 Auto Tran
I got the car with 98k..... I am 100k now so I plan to change the filter... already ordered it, with bolts, etc from bavauto..... now I am just stuck deciding what fluid to use.. looks it will be Castrol after all
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 01-15-2013, 02:56 PM
madurodave's Avatar
madurodave madurodave is offline
BMW Enthusiast!
Location: NH
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,577
Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by awdrev View Post
I got the car with 98k..... I am 100k now so I plan to change the filter... already ordered it, with bolts, etc from bavauto..... now I am just stuck deciding what fluid to use.. looks it will be Castrol after all
You should also change differential fluids (I used Redline for mine) and transfer case fluid (BMW only). Not sure about your year (maybe same) but I had to get a set of Allen socket wrenches for those - bought from BavAuto also.
__________________
Madurodave

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 01-15-2013, 03:01 PM
awdrev awdrev is offline
Registered User
Location: Maryland
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 82
Mein Auto: 2004 BMW X3 3.0 Auto Tran
Quote:
Originally Posted by madurodave View Post
You should also change differential fluids (I used Redline for mine) and transfer case fluid (BMW only). Not sure about your year (maybe same) but I had to get a set of Allen socket wrenches for those - bought from BavAuto also.
Already got all of that covered bud.

Changed the transfer fluid as soon as I got it.

I have 3 qtz of OEM differential fluid that I will use to change both diffs. So I plan to do an ATF filter and fluid change and fluid differential next week. I have everything BUT the ATF fluid... which I will probably get this week.

I will do ALL work at my buddys shop with a nice lift where I can access everything... maybe I will do a DIY?

BTW just to confirm, I have 3 qtz of differential fluid... that's enough for both diffs right? I heard it's a little more than just one per dif.

Thanks again.

Last edited by awdrev; 01-15-2013 at 03:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 01-15-2013, 03:39 PM
madurodave's Avatar
madurodave madurodave is offline
BMW Enthusiast!
Location: NH
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,577
Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by awdrev View Post
Already got all of that covered bud.

Changed the transfer fluid as soon as I got it.

I have 3 qtz of OEM differential fluid that I will use to change both diffs. So I plan to do an ATF filter and fluid change and fluid differential next week. I have everything BUT the ATF fluid... which I will probably get this week.

I will do ALL work at my buddys shop with a nice lift where I can access everything... maybe I will do a DIY?

BTW just to confirm, I have 3 qtz of differential fluid... that's enough for both diffs right? I heard it's a little more than just one per dif.

Thanks again.
Differentials are around 1.1 qts each, so yup, you're covered!
__________________
Madurodave

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 01-15-2013, 04:55 PM
awdrev awdrev is offline
Registered User
Location: Maryland
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 82
Mein Auto: 2004 BMW X3 3.0 Auto Tran
Quote:
Originally Posted by madurodave View Post
Differentials are around 1.1 qts each, so yup, you're covered!
Perfect! Thanks again Dave, I will get this done soon and report back. I am hoping for no complications... I feel like I am doing surgery haha.

Maybe I'll take the time and take some pictures and do a mini DIY since I will have a nice lift, etc.

Also thanks to Brian and everyone else for their valuable input, it's been working out great so far thanks to all of you!
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 01-15-2013, 08:18 PM
madurodave's Avatar
madurodave madurodave is offline
BMW Enthusiast!
Location: NH
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,577
Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
I think there are some DIY's on this forum. I know I removed my spare tire carrier to do the rear differential, but since you will use a lift you should be fine.
__________________
Madurodave

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 01-15-2013, 08:20 PM
awdrev awdrev is offline
Registered User
Location: Maryland
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 82
Mein Auto: 2004 BMW X3 3.0 Auto Tran
Quote:
Originally Posted by madurodave View Post
I think there are some DIY's on this forum. I know I removed my spare tire carrier to do the rear differential, but since you will use a lift you should be fine.
I literally just logged on and saw your message.

Thanks for the tip, one thing I am concerned with is whether my rear diff is "sealed" and so I will need a pump to get the old fluid out and the new fluid in.

The production date is 08/2004 and I know some of them only have one plug... I'll have to re-check, I just couldn't see the fill plug on either side which leds me to believe I may have to pump out and pump in. Could be wrong, so we'll see..
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 01-15-2013, 09:08 PM
x3brian x3brian is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Sacramento CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,007
Mein Auto: X3
I have only seen rear differentials with a combined fill/drain plug (what you describe). You might get lucky.

I wouldn't worry too badly about that. What I do is open it up and then jack the front of the car up and the suck out what fluid left (90% comes out on its own). It sure beats having to crack open the pumpkin like I used to do on my old gmc.

Just keep it in perspective...it's just a differential. As long as you have the fluid full, not getting all of the old stuff out isn't going to cause catastrophic failure. It is just a pinion gear after all.

A tip though.. Stop at harbor freight for some large torx bits and even on a lift it will be easier to remove the spare tire.

As for the ATF...castrol is fine...I can't say this enough though...automatics are like a box of chocolates....you never know what your going to get.

Changing the fluid is very necessary...but you never know how long the tranny might last. Your tranny might be trouble free to 300k...it might break tomorrow...it's that predictable. With proper care, odds are in your favor but anything can happen....

Last edited by x3brian; 01-15-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 01-15-2013, 09:22 PM
awdrev awdrev is offline
Registered User
Location: Maryland
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 82
Mein Auto: 2004 BMW X3 3.0 Auto Tran
Thanks Brian. Now that you mention that, maybe I will try to remove the spare wheel box before heading to the shop. Just a quick question: So although the rear diff only has one plug, the front differential is a typical drain/fill plug right? Actually, I should look for a front diff DIY... if you happen to have a quick link to one, feel free to link it.

And talking about the spare wheel box, maybe I should look into that too. How difficult will it be without it? The shop should have tons of tools... I'll try to take a look at it and see how I will work it out.

I def need a nice TORX set, I'll take a HD trip soon.

I think the Castrol oil will do, but I will take a trip to NAPA to see if they have that havoline stuff. If so, that'll be great! I looked into the Castrol specification and it's specifies a recommendation for the Texaco fill as well... that's really the ONLY reason I am choosing it if I cannot find the havoline.

As far as the fluid change, this is really a maintenance step. IMO the tranny works fine, when it's cold, it takes a little more RPM to shift but once it's hot it works like a charm... I think a good drain and fill changing the filter will be a good step.

Last edited by awdrev; 01-15-2013 at 09:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 01-15-2013, 10:12 PM
x3brian x3brian is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Sacramento CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,007
Mein Auto: X3
The front diff does have a drain and fill plug. All you have to do is drop the splash guard...4 bolts on stiffening plate and about 12 small screws. The drain plug is literally an inch from the oil drain plug. The refill can easily be gotten to by removing the driver side wheel. I don't remember if I did it last time with wheel on or off.

The spare come off with 3 bolts. Drop the spare tire and remove, look underneath an you will find 3 bolts by the differential. Unbolt them. The hardest part is removing the wire strap from the trunk handle.

Last edited by x3brian; 01-15-2013 at 10:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 01-16-2013, 09:28 AM
awdrev awdrev is offline
Registered User
Location: Maryland
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 82
Mein Auto: 2004 BMW X3 3.0 Auto Tran
Thanks again Brian. I will probably take the wheel off since we'll have the tools to do so, it'll be annoying to take the splash guard but it'll be a good opportunity to inspect down there too... I know my OFHG is leaking a little already and that's something I'll take care of later in the spring... but other than that, this is a major transmission maintenance procedure I will do.

When I am done with it, I will have all transmission/TC/differential fluids changed... so good for a while!

Still haven't bought the fluid, I'll pass by NAPA tomorrow and check. I should be getting all the goodies today in the mail, can't wait to see what it all looks like.

Side question: do you know if the filter is held by screws? or "just tugged into place", I have seen both in BMW's videos/DIY's
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 01-16-2013, 10:41 AM
x3brian x3brian is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Sacramento CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,007
Mein Auto: X3
I believe it is held in place only by a collar sleeve on the neck of the filter. Just be careful removing the old one...don't try to pry it out with a screw driver if it is stuck.

I has the dealer change mine, but every GM tranny I have worked on only had a collar sleeve.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 01-16-2013, 12:26 PM
madurodave's Avatar
madurodave madurodave is offline
BMW Enthusiast!
Location: NH
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,577
Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3brian View Post
I believe it is held in place only by a collar sleeve on the neck of the filter. Just be careful removing the old one...don't try to pry it out with a screw driver if it is stuck.

I has the dealer change mine, but every GM tranny I have worked on only had a collar sleeve.
That's correct. Collar sleeve is pretty deep up in tranny. New filter comes with new collar sleeve, but I ended up reusing existing one.
__________________
Madurodave

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 01-16-2013, 02:11 PM
awdrev awdrev is offline
Registered User
Location: Maryland
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 82
Mein Auto: 2004 BMW X3 3.0 Auto Tran
Quote:
Originally Posted by madurodave View Post
That's correct. Collar sleeve is pretty deep up in tranny. New filter comes with new collar sleeve, but I ended up reusing existing one.
Huh interesting, I hope I don't struggle with it that much, I'd love to replace the whole thing if possible.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 01-16-2013, 02:18 PM
x3brian x3brian is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Sacramento CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,007
Mein Auto: X3
I recommend not struggling with it. Odds are it will come out with the filter. If not just reuse the old one.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms