Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 10-03-2010, 08:33 PM

Mein Auto: e39
wow, really?
Old 09-03-2011, 04:57 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
For the cross-linked record, today, JimLev provided nice aux fan test info:
- E39 (1997 - 2003) > Aux Fan Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
The fan is controlled by the dual temp switch on the side of the radiator and the HVAC system.
Stage 1 is low speed from the HVAC panel or the 91 deg switch on the radiator and relay K21.
Stage 2 is controlled by the AC high pressure switch and relay K22.
Stage 3 (high) is controlled by the 104 C deg switch on the side of the radiator and relay K201, which gets power from fuse F75 (50 amp) behind the glove box. F20 and F105 powers K201.

You said the fan comes on when you turn the AC on so Stage 1 (low) is working which means the 2 resistors are good.
Pull the connector off the dual temp switch and jump it to see if you can get.
Jumping pins 1 to 2 should make it run at high speed and pins 1 to 3 for low speed.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:57 PM

For the crosslinked record, QSilver7 posted some nice aux fan information over here today:
-> E39 (1997 - 2003) > please explain!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSilver7 View Post
It depends on which engine you have...in your case...it's the M52TU...

Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 11-18-2012, 10:24 PM
99 540i Make Over

Mein Auto: 99 540i
I'm having a problem with my aux fan too. My aux turns on and goes off but when it kicks on it makes a very loud noise and sounds like it is straining and the car doesn't over heat. Does anyone have any idea what it could be or what I should do???
Old 11-20-2012, 09:00 AM
Nor genius Nor ignorant

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by akillies View Post
I'm having a problem with my aux fan too. My aux turns on and goes off but when it kicks on it makes a very loud noise and sounds like it is straining and the car doesn't over heat. Does anyone have any idea what it could be or what I should do???
Mine did that just before it died, mine would turn on, but would stay on the highest fan speed setting. Sounds ridiculously loud right? The cheapest OEM fan i've found is from ecstuning, or just get a used one for cheap.

For Sale:
1 Pair of E38 OEM Black rear Foot Rests $60 [Click]

Last edited by Dking078; 11-20-2012 at 09:01 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:56 PM
99 540i Make Over

Mein Auto: 99 540i
Ok, can I replace the motor itself to maybe save some money??
Old 04-15-2013, 04:05 AM

For the crosslinked record, JimLev offers good advice here for discerning aux fan types:
Quote:
Did your fan motor look like this with these color wires coming out of it?
If so, you have a PWM fan.
The older fans are 3 speed that only have 2 wires ans use relays and resistors to switch speeds.
The resistors are mounted to the fan frame.
See also:
- DIY for how to replace the auxiliary fan (1) (2) (3) & how to test the cooling system auxiliary electrical fan (1) (2) & the infamous fuse 75 (1) & the aux fan relay (1) & an exploding aux fan noise situation (1)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jimlev_pwm_fan.jpg
Views:	5862
Size:	219.8 KB
ID:	371474  
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:37 AM

For the crosslinked record, a screenshot from the Bentley on the aux fan operation is here today:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning2nd View Post
Me7.2

See also:
- How to test the cooling system auxiliary electrical aux fan (1) (2) (3) (4)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bentley.jpg
Views:	556
Size:	217.3 KB
ID:	393787  
Old 09-17-2013, 09:10 PM

For the record, this is good information added recently:

Quote:
If the temp gauge gets up to 3/4'ers the fan should be on high speed! Which is stage 3. There are no resistors in the circuit for high speed.
You could have blown fuses, bad relays, or the aux fan motor itself could be bad.
You could also have bad resistors or a bad temp switch in the side of the radiator, best to have someone trouble shoot and find out what parts are bad unless you just want to throw parts at it.
Here's the circuit for the 3 speeds. Ignore the notes, they were from helping another person.

See also:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > E39 Auxiliary Fan DIY write up-With Pics.
- DIY for how to replace the auxiliary fan (1) (2) (3) & how to test the cooling system auxiliary electrical fan (1) (2) & the infamous fuse 75 (1) & the aux fan relay (1) & an exploding aux fan noise situation (1)

Last edited by bluebee; 04-05-2014 at 04:29 AM.