Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X5M
Help with Small Rattle - where to look?

Hello all. We have had our new 50i since Tuesday night and its really a great car.

There is an intermittent light rattle coming from what appears to be the back fold down seats or the cargo cover or similar location. Originally I thought it was the arm rest fold down (part that flips open to expose cup holders) but that is not it.

Also, upon searching it appears that some have had a rattle where the 2 plastic pieces meet on the fold out lower trunk but I don't think this is the cause.

I'm going to try driving with a) the rear seats folded and then b) with the cargo cover out to locate but if anyone has some ideas. Thanks.
Advertisement
Old 09-03-2010, 07:57 AM

Mein Auto: Zipcars
I have some rattle from back there too - it happens particularly when going over a bump or a pothole. There was another, lower rattle that stopped when I removed the cargo cover, but this one still continues. Mine almost sounds like it comes from behind my headrest, but I haven't investigated much.

I'm sending my car into the dealer in a week to get all the rattles sorted out. Both our front armrests buzz at speed, this rattle, plus some other intermittent ones. I'm going to try to find a good road that induces all of them as a demo.

Kind of disappointed in the build quality. Squeeze the plastic on the driver's armrest near the window controls - flexes and creaks.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:37 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
anyone notice glue leaking all over their car?

On the door handles where it has the wood, then an aluminum strip under....my strip of aluminum has drip marks all down it.. ON BOTH SIDES!

don't get me started with the outside.

I have a platinum gray.

and my door is rattling too...its the back right side. Sounds like its not closed all the way.

Also my fuel gauge is always showing a 1/4 down when I fill up.

Thank god I leased this car because its worse than a Range Rover. Only plus is they cover my problems LOL
Old 09-03-2010, 10:47 AM

That glue should have all been removed by the preparation at the dealer, it's put on for transport protection - take it back ASAP and get them to clean it up, I believe the glue can cause paint damage if left on too long. I think technically the product is something called cosmoline.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:07 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newmanium View Post
That glue should have all been removed by the preparation at the dealer, it's put on for transport protection - take it back ASAP and get them to clean it up, I believe the glue can cause paint damage if left on too long. I think technically the product is something called cosmoline.
I am scratching my head to as why its on the inside?

They cleaned it up nice when I got the car, but it came back...... I had massive globs on the outside. They gave me a paint kit for the Platinum Gray just in case I get scratches.

I wonder if it has to do with the halt production on PG...I was the last week to get it I believe.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:42 PM

Just take it to the dealer and have them fix it, not sure why it's on the inside. Perhaps it isn't cosmoline but something else - definitely shouldn't be happening.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 X5d, 2009 128 Conv.
For a rubbing plastic sound check the rear tailgate plastic trim pieces. On our 2008 the drivers side was rubbing and left a ware mark that was visible when the tailgate was down. The dealership extended and placed additional adhesive felt strips on the lower plastic trim. After doing this the plastic rubbing sound went away. Another source of creaks comes from the trim pieces at the base of the seat. We actually had to have the entire passenger seat replaced to get rid of that issue. Good luck tracing out the squeaks.

2010 X5d Vermillion Red, Sand Beige Nevada, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather, 3rd Row Seat, Tech Pkg, Trailer Hitch, Ipod
2009 128i Crimson Red, Boston Terra Leather, Premium Pkg, Nav, Heated Seats, Ipod
2008 X5 3.0si (Traded In)
2005 X5 3.0 (Traded In)
2003 325i (Sold)
Old 09-05-2010, 08:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5M
Thanks for the feedback guys. Weird that since I posted its been quiet but I can see where the rear tailgate would rattle. Plastic on top of plastic is not a good idea.