Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 08-29-2010, 03:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
Thumbs Up for Heads Up

When I was thinking of ordering a 550i instead of taking one from the dealer's stock, one option I never thought much about was the HUD. I figured it was too much money for what amounted to a "gadget". Boy was I wrong! The car I ended up purchasing had the HUD. I immediately learned to really like having a digital readout of my speed without looking down at the speedo. Of course I had to suffer comments from friends and family about being "too lazy to look down at the speedometer". Having just returned from a 1000+ mile roadtrip to Lake Winnipesaukee, NH (absolutely beautiful, if you have never been). The ability to have the navigation turn-by-turn directions, cruise control setting and speed readout all in one place right in the windshield make this "gadget" indispensible especially driving unfamiliar roads. If you are on the fence about ordering it, I for one, would highly recommend it!
Old 08-29-2010, 03:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 550i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsjoseph View Post
When I was thinking of ordering a 550i instead of taking one from the dealer's stock, one option I never thought much about was the HUD. I figured it was too much money for what amounted to a "gadget". Boy was I wrong! The car I ended up purchasing had the HUD. I immediately learned to really like having a digital readout of my speed without looking down at the speedo. Of course I had to suffer comments from friends and family about being "too lazy to look down at the speedometer". Having just returned from a 1000+ mile roadtrip to Lake Winnipesaukee, NH (absolutely beautiful, if you have never been). The ability to have the navigation turn-by-turn directions, cruise control setting and speed readout all in one place right in the windshield make this "gadget" indispensible especially driving unfamiliar roads. If you are on the fence about ordering it, I for one, would highly recommend it!
I have had it on my 650i since October, 2005 and agree wholeheartedly. I understand the new version you have is even better. My new 550i xDrive will have it too. The combination of HUD, ACC, and Nav make interstate driving a lot easier and enjoyable. It's also safer because you don't have to take your eyes off the road as much.
550i xDrive/ImperialBlue/Beige/anthracite/DHP/sport/vent seats/convience/cold weather/driver assistance/prem 2/sport trans/fold down rears/4 zone/ACC/HUD/cameras/night vision/ipod and smart integration.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 E550 4matic
I totally agree, too. I had one of my GASP Pontiac Grand Prix. Although I thought I would never miss the option, it is definitely on the must-have list.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:20 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
$1300 for HUD seems somewhat outrageous to me, just my opinion. Can't figure out why it's so expensive to simply shine some info up to the windshield. I might like it, but half the price seems more reasonable to me.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 08-29-2010, 08:14 PM

Mein Auto: '08 535xi
Without a doubt one of the best options to have. Once you have it you'll never do without it again. It takes about 2 weeks to get used to and then your eyes self-train to ignore it except when you need it.....and that's the awesome part. Instant knowledge of your current speed and/or deceleration rate is precious when you're pushing near and beyond speed limits. Also great for the cruise control data as well as Nav. I almost never look at the dials anymore. The ONLY thing missing is what Manual Gear you're in.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550ix Sport
I know it seems like an excessive amount of money, but once you have it, I promise you, it is worth every penny. I've asked others who have it, and they all agree. You will love it.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:01 PM
Oil Burners Rule!

Mein Auto: 2014 328d
Test drove a new F10 last Spring that had HUD and it was outstanding.I'm waiting for the diesel F10 (which has been announced) and I'll absolutely order HUD.

Fuelly
Old 08-31-2010, 05:39 AM

Mein Auto: 11 550i
I have had it since 2004 on 3 5ers. It is uber awesome. I'll never order another car without it.

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
11 550i Euro Del, Retired
08 550i Euro Del, Retired
06 330i Euro Del, Retired
04 545i Euro Del, Retired
01 530i Euro Del, Retired
Old 08-31-2010, 12:46 PM

Mein Auto: M3, 330i, 2002tii
Quote:
Originally Posted by listerone View Post
I'm waiting for the diesel F10 (which has been announced) and I'll absolutely order HUD.
Link?
Old 08-31-2010, 02:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
$1300 for HUD seems somewhat outrageous to me, just my opinion. Can't figure out why it's so expensive to simply shine some info up to the windshield. I might like it, but half the price seems more reasonable to me.
It is a lot more complicated than "just shining some info on the windshield" It is a high contrast, color LCD projector with an optical lens assembly and a bright, but electronically dimmable light "engine" with a folded optical path and a polarizing filter. The projector instantaniously adjusts to ambient light conditions at the windshield, which requires optical sensors. The optical path is digitally adjustable to work at a variety of viewing angles. It is actually pretty sophisticated.

When i ordered it on my last car (a 2008 550i) I considered it mostly to be a neat gadget. However, after driving through Germany after European Delivery I found it immensely useful to have the NAV info displayed on the windshield, especially when you are in an unfamiliar area.

I have it ordered on my F10 550i. It was one of the first boxes i checked.

Due to the fact that it uses a polarizing filter, some polarizing sunglasses slightly interfere with its operation. However, I found that when using polarized glasses (I have Oakley polarized, but it seems to work the same with most polarized glasses) I can brighten, dim or nearly eliminate the HUD image by simply tilting my head a couple of degrees. It turns out not to be a problem in practical use.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:54 PM

Mein Auto: 550I
^^^^^^^X2 couldn't agree more
Old 08-31-2010, 03:51 PM

Mein Auto: 5 series
Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
Don't forget that a special windshield is necessary for the HUD, thus partly explaining the cost. And it may cost you close to that amount if you have to replace your windshield.

The cost is one thing, the fact that it is not compatible with some polarized glasses and expensive windshield replacement is what kept me wary of this option.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:45 PM

Mein Auto: MB
I guess if you want to play, you have to pay.

I am certainly going to get the HUD.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:05 PM
Oil Burners Rule!

Mein Auto: 2014 328d
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter View Post
Link?
Don't have a link.J Spira,in a PM he sent to me at bmwcca,said that he was told by a BMW NA executive that it would arrive in mid 2011.Also,many websites have reported that one will be coming...J Spira,as I said,gave a fairly specific timeframe.

Fuelly
Old 09-03-2010, 04:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i sport
But the cluster screen displays navigation etc what's the real point except to take up space and money...guess its good if u sit very close to the wheel but I am a big Guy so I sit back ..saved the Monet got luxury seats instead

Sent from my Nexus One using BimmerApp