Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 08-29-2010, 06:27 PM

Mein Auto: Depends
335d review by Warren Brown in the Washington Post

From today's Washington Post (8/29/2010)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...082702500.html Another fan converted

CORNWALL, N.Y. It was motorized epiphany, the sudden realization that the seemingly impossible is possible. We can have power, fun in driving and fuel efficiency. All we need is money -- in a rounded sum, at least $44,000. But it's worth it, the 2011 BMW 335d sedan.

After several hundred miles of driving, mostly in my resident state of Virginia, I believe the 335d is the best midsize sedan ever. That's "best" as in better than any midsize sedan I've driven in 42 years of driving and driving nearly everything there is to be driven.

It is praise bordering on hyperbole, worthy of reader derision. But I ask you to withhold judgment until you've driven this one yourself, an experience enthusiastically recommended here.

Is there any midsize sedan anywhere that delivers so much torque -- the twisting force on the drive wheels (rear, in this case) -- so smoothly? Va-whoppemm-voom! That's the way it feels -- 425 foot-pounds of torque generated at 1,750 revolutions per minute by the 335d's twin-turbocharged, 3-liter in-line six-cylinder engine, which also packs 265 horsepower.

I've never felt anything like it in what otherwise passes for a family car, certainly not in anything that also gets a respectable 36 miles per gallon in highway driving.

I was gobsmacked, so much so that I ignored everything else in my Virginia driveway, including a gasoline-powered 2011 MazdaSpeed3 originally scheduled for this week's column.

I'll get to the MazdaSpeed3 in a later column. But now I must pay tribute to my addiction to advanced diesel engines, which are about 30 percent more fuel-efficient than their gasoline counterparts.

In full truth, diesel has an advantage over gasoline that speaks more to fuel conservation than it does to money saved by the consumer.

Diesel engines usually are more expensive than gasoline models. The $43,950 base price of the BMW 335d, for example, is $3,350 more than that charged for the gasoline-fueled BMW 335i. And in the United States, ultra-low-sulfur diesel fuel, which is required for modern diesel engines, also costs more than gasoline. In late August on the East Coast, for example, ultra-low-sulfur diesel was priced at $2.95 a gallon compared with $2.64 a gallon for regular gasoline, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration.

Still, the driving beauty of advanced diesel engines, featuring direct-fuel-injection technology, overwhelms all. That's especially the case in the 335d, where BMW offers an improved turn on the direct-fuel-injection theme.

In other cars, fuel is injected via nozzles before cylinder intake valves. In the 335d, the fuel is injected directly into each of the car's six cylinders, thereby increasing fuel efficiency, power and torque, and providing a more complete burn of the fuel used. The latter attribute, in combination with advanced exhaust treatment, yields lower tailpipe emissions.

Viscerally, for driver and passengers, the experience is this: At ignition, there is a throaty rumble, a tad more pronounced than heard in a comparable gasoline-fueled car. But there is nothing noisily offensive about it. Nor is there any traditional "diesel smell" or dark exhaust smoke.

The car feels a tad slow moving from "start." But, whoa! Va-whoppemm-voom! The torque gathers up and does its thing and launches the 335d forward with such gleeful force you want to drive it forever.

We want this one back. That includes me and my two able associate contributors to this column, Ria Manglapus and my wife, Mary Anne. Heck, we like this one so much we're willing to lease it at our own expense for long-term use. Let's make a deal, BMW. Let's make a deal!
2011 Ford F350 400HP + 800 Ft Lbs
2009 Formula SS 2x375HP + plenty but unpublished
1999 Dodge Viper 460HP + 500 Ft Lbs
Ads by Google
Old 08-29-2010, 07:17 PM

Mein Auto: 335D
I like mine too.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:18 PM
Riesige schwantz.

Mein Auto: hgdch
I had the same response as Warren after my test drive, I had to have one!
Old 08-29-2010, 08:40 PM

Mine isn't slow from a start. He needs to stomp the pedal. There are some great discounts on these cars if u look around. My MSRP was 52k and I eneded up paying around 44k.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:01 PM
Riesige schwantz.

My MSRP was $62,385 with options and I paid $58,785 in Canadian dollars (the crappy kind) but I would have paid MSRP because I love this car and just have to get it.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:22 PM

Canada must have a crap load of taxes on their cars. I had two guys from Canada looking to buy my Audi A4.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:02 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Not bad, but these writers are going to have to start comparing the price of diesel with that of premium gasoline since almost every competitor within the segement burns it.

Last edited by BMWTurboDzl; 08-30-2010 at 05:38 AM.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:15 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 11 335d,08 K12GT,10 S1000
def the same discovery that I had upon first driving the 335d. Just amazingly fun to drive.
08 WR250R
Old 08-30-2010, 06:05 PM
Road Warrior

Mein Auto: (2)335d, RS60 Spyder
One by one....the 335d is winning people over.

www.thelonghighway.com A Blog Dedicated to the 335d
Old 08-30-2010, 06:22 PM
Riesige schwantz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by traderfjp View Post
Canada must have a crap load of taxes on their cars. I had two guys from Canada looking to buy my Audi A4.
We do indeed have a "crapload" of taxes but I wouldn't trade this country for anything.

On Order: 2011 335d, Black Sapphire Metallic, Chestnut leather, Burl walnut trim, M-Sport, Navigation pkg, Premium pkg., Executive Pkg. ETA mid-Jan.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:41 PM

Mein Auto: Depends
BTD,

In the comments section online, I made that same point about diesel fuel price being compared to premium fuel based on 335i v 335d being mentioned. As well as the price of the car being made based on both models having steptronic tranny. But really all that aside, I'm sure that most of us were comparing cars that weren't necessarily in a very narrow price band. We picked the car largely because we had the same reaction to it that Warren did.

Jim
2011 Ford F350 400HP + 800 Ft Lbs
2009 Formula SS 2x375HP + plenty but unpublished
1999 Dodge Viper 460HP + 500 Ft Lbs