Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 08-31-2010, 02:06 PM

Mein Auto: 325 CI
Convertible Top Repair - Hydraulic Control

I have a 2006 325 Convertible and am trying to replace on of the hydraulic hoses that I suspect was leaking. It is numbered 34 and leads from drivers side hydro-cylinder to hydaulic control unit.

This seems like it should be a simple repair, but I cannot figure out an easy way to access the connection at the hydraulic control unit. Do I need to pull the entire top off to get to it?

Thanks to anyone who can help.
Jon
Advertisement
Old 09-01-2010, 09:03 PM

Mein Auto: 325CiC, MDX, RAV4, GTI
Jon - this won't be much help, but just for reference, a year or so ago the top on my 2004 became very slow to operate and eventually I ended up at the dealership. The problem was a split hose, but the story was that a whole assembly needed to be replaced. The cost for the part was claimed to be $800 or so as I remember! The car was out of warranty but really low mileage, so I agreed to pay only the labor - still $500 or maybe more - apparently a complex procedure. I'll attach a pic of the split line.

Good luck with solving this yourself - but maybe there is a systemic problem and you could negotiate a fix from your dealer/BMW?

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Failed line.JPG
Views:	291
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	244396  
Old 09-02-2010, 04:58 AM

Thanks very much Ray - this looks like a similar problem and story. I was told that you cannot buy just the hose but need to purchase the entire cylinder and all hoses. I need what you show in your picture. I found a used one for $150 and the new kits are $250. I am going to try to install myself. Hopefully I wont make things worse!

BTW I did find technical instruction software on the ebay for about $10. I received it last night and it details how to access and repair just about everything on the car.

Regards,
Jon
Old 09-02-2010, 05:43 PM

Jon:

You are way ahead of me - I just didn't have the courage to go delving in there myself and risk messing up all the origami folding of the top. All the best with that!

Your "technical instruction software" for $10 looks like a great find - do you have details you can share? Thanks!

Ray
Old 09-03-2010, 07:42 AM

Yes - I hear you and hoping I dont have the have a dealer unfold my newly created "oragami" - but after looking at the manual doesnt seem too daunting.

Here is an ebay link re. the manual:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...54534073438601
Old 09-03-2010, 05:11 PM

Thanks, Jon. With your endorsement that CD looks to be a good reference resource, so I ordered one, too. Ray
Old 07-21-2012, 09:49 AM

Mein Auto: 330ci 2002
Jon,

Did you ever figure out how to access and make the repairs to your hydraulic lines? I have a similar issue, leaking on the drivers side where one of the connectons goes into the solinoid unit. might just need to tighten the lines, but cant really tell. did you take out the upper part of the back seat and do the work with the top up? cant find much on line, but want to do the work myself. I have a 2002 330ci. any help appreciated. Randy
Old 08-11-2012, 12:12 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 325i
Question

my m3 vert is leaking fluid, but i can't find from where... i've not seen any pools or puddles in the boot tray, and there is some noticable in the resevoir foam boot, but not sure that is the only spot. or how to isolate the leak specifically in the reservoir/solenoid assembly...

any suggestions?

the system leaks enough fluid in 2wks to render the top non-working, which seems like an astounding amount of fluid to lose when only using the top 2-3 times in a short time span.

:help
Old 08-29-2012, 01:43 PM

Mein Auto: 330ci 2002
It is really hard to determine where the leak is at. I ended up removing the trim on the driverís side (top part around the side window). I had a puddle of oil on the garage floor so I knew the leak was in that area.

I had to add fluid (bought a quart on ebay for ~$15) in the trunk and then got my wife to operate the top while I used a flashlight and mirror to find the "hole" in my hydraulic line.

Next I took it to German auto group (I live in Alexandria VA) where they quoted me $2600
I donít want to pay thatÖ so Iím attempting to do the repairs myself.

I removed the top completely which was pretty easy.

Even with the top removed the lines coming off the master cylinder (drivers side solenoids) are hard to get to. I determined that line #23 (part # 54347025598) had a hole in it. You can see the diagram at http://www.realoem.com/bmw/

Hose 23 runs over the top of the convertible to the passenger side hydraulic cylinder.

Anyway, I ordered a part (hydraulic cylinder and lines) off ebay for ~$90....however, when the part showed up - the lines (23 and 24) they sent me had a hole in 23 and I had to send it back.

Status today....top is sitting in my garage and Iím trying to find a good used part. You can buy new for ~$340, but was trying to do it with as little $$ as possible.

Looking at the way this line is routed through the top (under the headliner) is a bit of a concern. Very tight spaces, looks tricky, but looks doable.

I'll post an update when complete.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:26 PM
Living Life At The Beach

Mein Auto: 2004 325 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvgrbc View Post
It is really hard to determine where the leak is at. I ended up removing the trim on the driverís side (top part around the side window). I had a puddle of oil on the garage floor so I knew the leak was in that area.

I had to add fluid (bought a quart on ebay for ~$15) in the trunk and then got my wife to operate the top while I used a flashlight and mirror to find the "hole" in my hydraulic line.

Next I took it to German auto group (I live in Alexandria VA) where they quoted me $2600
I donít want to pay thatÖ so Iím attempting to do the repairs myself.

I removed the top completely which was pretty easy.

Even with the top removed the lines coming off the master cylinder (drivers side solenoids) are hard to get to. I determined that line #23 (part # 54347025598) had a hole in it. You can see the diagram at http://www.realoem.com/bmw/

Hose 23 runs over the top of the convertible to the passenger side hydraulic cylinder.

Anyway, I ordered a part (hydraulic cylinder and lines) off ebay for ~$90....however, when the part showed up - the lines (23 and 24) they sent me had a hole in 23 and I had to send it back.

Status today....top is sitting in my garage and Iím trying to find a good used part. You can buy new for ~$340, but was trying to do it with as little $$ as possible.

Looking at the way this line is routed through the top (under the headliner) is a bit of a concern. Very tight spaces, looks tricky, but looks doable.

I'll post an update when complete.
Looking forward to your resolution as we are a little light on Vert knowledge here, and I'm sure I too will have to do this repair some day. BTW Welcome!
Old 09-17-2012, 09:49 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to klixtokw
Mein Auto: bmw 325 ci vert E46 frame
Klixtokw

I have a similar problem on a 2004 325ci vert. Can you share how did you remove the top which you say its easy?
Thanks!
Old 09-17-2012, 10:18 PM

Ray,
do you know where i can get some information for a vert top repairs 2004 325ci? It sems all the postings refer to the 330CI or E36 series. The 325ci apparently does not exist! I can't even find parts for it.
Thanks!
Old 09-18-2012, 08:10 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Electric Red '02 330CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by klixtokw View Post
Ray,
do you know where i can get some information for a vert top repairs 2004 325ci? It sems all the postings refer to the 330CI or E36 series. The 325ci apparently does not exist! I can't even find parts for it.
Thanks!
For parts online:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do (Put in the last 7 digits of your VIN and it'll pull up all the parts for your car)

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/cata...46_catalog.htm

For repairs, you can DIY or find a good independent mechanic. If you're in the south Palm Beach County-north Broward County area, I can refer you to an excellent one.

"Send lawyers, guns and money/The sh*t has hit the fan"
Old 09-18-2012, 08:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 330ci Silver Convert
My 2004 330ci convertible top will not go down. At first try I started car and pressed the down button. The windows went down partially (normal), but nothing else happened. The little red light remained on steady as long as I kept the down button depressed. I drove the car, then parked in garage with trickle charge on. Started the next day and pressed the top down button. Nothing happened. The red light was on, but the windows did not move. What do I check short of removing door panels, or bringing my checkbook to the dealer to LEAVE!!!
Old 09-18-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by handypfb View Post
My 2004 330ci convertible top will not go down. At first try I started car and pressed the down button. The windows went down partially (normal), but nothing else happened. The little red light remained on steady as long as I kept the down button depressed. I drove the car, then parked in garage with trickle charge on. Started the next day and pressed the top down button. Nothing happened. The red light was on, but the windows did not move. What do I check short of removing door panels, or bringing my checkbook to the dealer to LEAVE!!!
I've had this happen 2-3 times in the 10 years I've owned my vert and each time it was a frayed/broken wire (once somewhere in the boot and twice somewhere in wiring that runs back-to-front along the soft top). That said, it could be something else. Unless the cause is obvious (e.g., hydraulic fluid leaking out), convertible top problems can be very time-consuming to trouble shoot. You really need a good independent mechanic. A dealership will charge you a ton.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:35 AM

Smile South Palm mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdd View Post
For parts online:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do (Put in the last 7 digits of your VIN and it'll pull up all the parts for your car)

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/cata...46_catalog.htm

For repairs, you can DIY or find a good independent mechanic. If you're in the south Palm Beach County-north Broward County area, I can refer you to an excellent one.

Please give me the mechanic contact info. Is he a top mechanism mechanic or a general BMW mechanic?
Thanks!
Old 09-18-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klixtokw View Post
Please give me the mechanic contact info. Is he a top mechanism mechanic or a general BMW mechanic?
Thanks!
Check your private messages.