Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:59 AM

Mein Auto: 335i conv
Diesel fuel #1 and #2

I am going to take delivery on my new X5d. I have been scoping out gas stations and found one that has diesel #2. Can someone help me understand the difference and what I need to use for my new X5d?
Ads by Google
Old 09-07-2010, 12:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d
you can find diesel fuel with this cool little search engine http://tdi.vw.com/diesel-tracker/

Your vehicle runs on #2 ULSD

good luck
Old 09-07-2010, 01:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d 2007 Lexus LS
If you're in a cold climate, the fuel will be winterized. No place around here sells #1 diesel fuel.

Craig
Old 09-07-2010, 02:12 PM

Mein Auto: 335i conv
thanks for the tips. There are 4 stations within a mile of my house. Nice. What is diesel 1 then. Is it the winter version. IE thinner?

Geoff
Old 09-07-2010, 02:20 PM

Mein Auto: Varies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gselzer View Post
thanks for the tips. There are 4 stations within a mile of my house. Nice. What is diesel 1 then. Is it the winter version. IE thinner?

Geoff
Not exactly thinner, it has a much lower cold gel point. Diesel #1 does not run as well in your vehicle, it will run it just like crap. In cold climates #2 will gel up, becomes a paste. The normal practice is to blend the 2 so #2 does not gel until a much lower temp. For Example 20F straight #2 starts gelling blended #2 wont gel until -25F or -40F depending on the amount of blending. And remember the more #1 is needed the worse the engine runs, economy and power wise.

Last edited by 02 330Ci; 09-07-2010 at 02:21 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:10 PM

It depends on the pour point of the fuel. I live in the Midwest and never had a problem running premium grade #2 diesel fuel.

Here is the link to the fuel I used in my X5 35d...

http://mfaoil.com/index.cfm?show=10&mid=5&pid=7

Craig
Old 09-08-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
It depends on the pour point of the fuel. I live in the Midwest and never had a problem running premium grade #2 diesel fuel.

Here is the link to the fuel I used in my X5 35d...

http://mfaoil.com/index.cfm?show=10&mid=5&pid=7

Craig
They add additives that increase pour point, and other factors. Actually looks like a good product. I have to ask though living in MO what is the coldest temps you have seen. I used to live in northern ND and we would generally see -30F and colder from Jan to end of Feb. I ran strong concentrations of Power services additive to reduce the need of #1 because of the reduction of power and mileage.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:24 AM

Last winter it got down to -10 one night. It was a cold winter last year and I had no problems.

Craig
Old 09-12-2010, 07:15 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Craig, off topic a bit but when does the DEF freeze? That would certainly be a problem if it froze before the fuel jelled. BTW, how is the GX working out?
Old 09-12-2010, 08:57 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Craig, off topic a bit but when does the DEF freeze? That would certainly be a problem if it froze before the fuel jelled. BTW, how is the GX working out?
Unc, you have surely not been paying attention!!

DEF freezes at a relatively high temp (like 20F I think)... but the active tank has a heater on it. You will run into issues in environments where the temp is under 20 for days on end, and the passive tank never melts and never refills the active tank (ie for 500-700 miles I am guessing).

This 'issue' comes up in almost every "my DEF has a problem" thread that has been posted in the winter months....

A

PS Penguin or Funf will have the exact temp, and the exact distance at their fingertips I am sure.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:15 PM

Thanks Ard! Sounds like a weak link for those living in the sub-arctic regions, along with the jellied fuel. I would think they could have made it so both DEF tanks were heated. I wonder what the others who use DEF do about this, MB, Audi, & VW (for the V6 TDI)?
Old 09-12-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Hi, I think DEF freezes below 24 degrees. I never had a problem. One tank is heated and my car stayed in the garage every night. It would be a problem if you kept your car outside all of the time in a cold climate.

The GX is doing great, I haven't had any problems with it in 6 months of use. I did like the way the X5 drove compared to the GX. The GX is a Truck based SUV and the BMW was more of a sports sedan not made for off road use. I don't miss taking the BMW in for service all of the time. The electronics are much more advanced in the Lexus.

Regards,

Craig
Old 09-12-2010, 02:20 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Thanks Ard! Sounds like a weak link for those living in the sub-arctic regions, along with the jellied fuel.
Agreed. Although for fuel, you just mix it differently in winter months...I know of no additives for DEF to avoid freezing.

Wanna bet BMW will have a retrofit kit in the Finnish BMW accessory catalog for a passive DEF heater? (I joke)

A
Old 09-12-2010, 02:43 PM

There have been people in cold climates that have had problems and BMW did nothing to help them. I remember someone from CO that had a problem with the DEF tanks freezing and BMW did nothing...

Craig
Old 09-12-2010, 04:22 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
... BMW did nothing to help them. I remember someone from CO that had a problem with the DEF tanks freezing and BMW did nothing...
Wa, Wa.

To my knowledge, NOBODY has been incapacitated by this system.

When THAT happens and BMW does nothing, we can talk...otherwise lets move your sour grapes to the Lexus forum.

(You've used "BMW did nothing" twice in that post... all better now?)

A

PS It will take 999 miles without every breaking 20F. Yes, it can happen. No, we've never read of it. Is it a design oversight? Yes, for a market where it is under 20F for a month or more. Buyers from those states will be well served to consider this, and their garage temps overnight....
Old 09-12-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Wa, Wa.

To my knowledge, NOBODY has been incapacitated by this system.

When THAT happens and BMW does nothing, we can talk...otherwise lets move your sour grapes to the Lexus forum.

(You've used "BMW did nothing" twice in that post... all better now?)

A

PS It will take 999 miles without every breaking 20F. Yes, it can happen. No, we've never read of it. Is it a design oversight? Yes, for a market where it is under 20F for a month or more. Buyers from those states will be well served to consider this, and their garage temps overnight....
I am assuming anyone that lives in MN, ND, MT and a few other states where the dec-feb temps never or rarely break 0F and owns one of these has a heated garage. For those that do not I would wonder why.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:23 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2006 325i sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Agreed. Although for fuel, you just mix it differently in winter months...I know of no additives for DEF to avoid freezing.

Wanna bet BMW will have a retrofit kit in the Finnish BMW accessory catalog for a passive DEF heater? (I joke)

A
Well, DEF is something only used in NA-spec vehicles as of now. Diesels sold in all other countries do not need the special urea fluid. In fact, they use a slightly different system as the same engine makes 286bhp in their applications.

BMW is offering the BluePerformance as an optional drivetrain in Germany starting this year as a precursor to the EURO 6 emissions tier that will take place in 2011. It's a pricey option, but buyers get a tax break.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:37 AM

The DEF is only here for now but what of the other Mfgs that run this fluid? How do they keep their DEF from freezing in the cold climates, or do they? Still sounds like a design defect, or at least an oversight, to me. At the very least an optional DEF tank heater should be offered.
Craig, glad the GX is working out!
Old 09-13-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
The DEF is only here for now but what of the other Mfgs that run this fluid? How do they keep their DEF from freezing in the cold climates, or do they? Still sounds like a design defect, or at least an oversight, to me. At the very least an optional DEF tank heater should be offered.
Craig, glad the GX is working out!
Thanks!

Another piss poor design by BMW. Also, don't open the rear doors when it's raining,
water will come in and get all over your seats LOL!

Craig
Old 09-13-2010, 06:31 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Quote:
Thanks!

Another piss poor design by BMW. Also, don't open the rear doors when it's raining,
water will come in and get all over your seats LOL!

Craig
You right about that!!!!!!
Mods : Clear Bra-Radar Hard-wired
So far so good-made on Wednesday