Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 09-02-2010, 10:16 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
What brake pads are recommended for street use on the E39 (CANONICAL SUMMARY)

CANONICAL SUMMARY:
What brake pads are most often recommended by users for the E39 for street use in the USA?
Note: See companion thread for most often recommended rotors and rotor suppliers.

Based on exasperation expressed in this thread (and in hundreds of others), the goal here is to list (more so than discuss) the brake pads (brand and model) most often recommended for the E39 street use in the USA & why (bite & dusting & perhaps noise if it's relevant, as compared ONLY to OEM!).

Please note: This is not intended as a yet-another-brake-pad thread ... the intent is to summarize and list only so that we can REFER others to this thread when the question inevitably comes up (again and again and again) of which are the most-recommended pads for E39 street use. Folks are welcome to debate the merits of the pads elsewhere.

I'll start with a summary of what I know to be often-recommended brake pads for street use (and I'll skirt the problem that Axxis is said by Zeckhausen to be no longer sold in the USA ... by combining Axxis with PBR as Axxis/PBR ... and I won't even get into the Repco/Bendix Mintex name confusion ... I'll also skirt the fact that Metal Masters is well documented by Turner Motorsports to be the same as Axxis by lumping MM with the Ceramic Axxis/PBRs unless/until someone provides conclusive evidence otherwise). Similarly, I'll assume Centric is the parent company for Stoptech PADS unless someone provides a reference otherwise.

OEM: (front: Jurid, P/N 34-11-6-761-280; rear Textar P/N 34-21-6-761-281):
- Jurid 187 [OEM bite (i.e., great stopping power); OEM dust (i.e., high dust); OEM noise (i.e., no noise)]
- Textar T4071 [OEM bite (i.e., great stopping power); OEM dust (i.e., medium dust); OEM noise (i.e., no noise)]

Most often recommended replacement pads for street use in the USA:
Akebono EUR### EURO Ultra-Premium Ceramic [lower bite than OEM, essentially no dust, no noise]
2. Axxis/PBR Deluxe Advanced [lower bite than OEM, essentially no dust, no noise]
3. Axxis/PBR/MM ULT
aka Axxis/PBR/MM Ultimates [OEM bite, OEM dust, noise?]

Jason added the following recommendations (but no data yet):
4. Pagid Blues [don't yet know bite compared to OEM? dust? noise?]
5. Hawk HPS [don't yet know bite
compared to OEM? dust? noise?]
6. Hawk HP+ [don't yet know bite
compared to OEM? dust? noise?]

And, paferri added the following (with data):
7. Textar Ceramic Fusions [OEM bite; lower dust; noise?]

Cal (see below) added the following dual-use (street:track) pads (with data):
8. Centric/Stoptech Street Performance [greater than OEM bite; lower than OEM dust; unknown noise]

FINE PRINT:

Note 0: Street use is hard to define so let's just avoid heavy use such as racing and other off-street uses; assume legal (mostly) speeds on USA roads.
Note 1: Please always compare to OEM! This means (lower/higher/no bite/dust/noise as compared to OEM. Please be complete by comparing all three!
Note 2: If a pad is already mentioned, there is no need to say "I like it too", or even "I hate it" because these are already recommended. What we are aiming for is a short list of canonically recommended pads to refer others to. And it doesn't matter "I switched from" or "I switched to"; just list the recommended pads and compare them to the OEM by stopping power, dust, and noise (or other important criteria as needed as I don't imply I know all the criteria that matter).
Note 3: This is not the thread for angished horror stories. It's subjective enough just to list stopping power, dusting, and noise as compared to OEM, let alone to suffer any particular person's love/hate scenarios. Leave the drama to other threads; this is merely an itemized list for reference purposes.
Note 4: If you have a recommended pad that is NOT on the list, please add it to the list (with the stopping power, dusting, and noise comparison to OEM). If you have more (or conflicting) information on stopping power, dusting, or noise than what is above for the recommended pads, it is expected you will help clarify what is stated here, so that the test-of-time result will be the value added in this thread.
Note 5: I already said it but I'll say it again. This is not the thread to discuss whether MetalMasters ULT is the same or not as Axxis ULT or PBR ULT; likewise, this is not the thread to argue whether Axxis is the same as PBR or whether or not Axxis is even sold in the USA anymore (I've read the entire 52-page 100-year history of the company thanks to Michel, and all that didn't even come close to resolving the issue); so let's take that brand-confusion discussion to another thread (they already exist and the jury is still out on the answer ... which means nobody really knows for sure). Likewise with Centric PADS versus Stoptech pads (let's take that to another thread and only modify the list above with the final result.)

Please correct where I err so we have a canonical summary of recommended brake pads for street use for the E39 in the USA!
Thanks. Blue

UPDATE!

Short list of recommended USA brake-pad suppliers (sponsors; alphabetically, please improve as needed):
EAC Tuning (OH 6.7% tax) 800.208.6448 http://eactuning.com, contact Mark@EACTuning.com
- Carries: Jurid 187, Textar T4071, Akebono Euro, Hawk HPS & HP+, Textar Ceramic Fusions, and others (in order of the original list)

JLevi SW (CA 9.75% tax) 888.JLEVISW (888.553.8479) http://www.jlevistreetwerks.com
- Carries: StopTech Street Performance, Hawk HPS, & Porterfield R4-S Street Pads

OemBimmerParts (TX 6.25% tax) 210.445.7090 http://www.oembimmerparts.com, contact Max@???
- Carries: (brands:models listed above carried?)

Pacific BMW (CA 9.75% tax) 800.542.9634 http://www.pacificbmw.com
- Carries: (brands:models carried?)

Longer list of other brake-pad suppliers (alphabetical order, please improve for all to benefit):
- Bavauto (NH, no tax) (800-535-2002) http://www.bavauto.com (brands:models carried?)
- BMAParts (CA 9.75% tax) 888-262-3911 http://www.bmaparts.com (brands:models carried?)
- Circle BMW (NJ 7% tax) 732-440-1238 http://www.circlebmw.com (brands:models carried?)
- Crevier BMW (CA 9.75% tax) 800-309-2318 http://www.crevierbmw.com (brands:models carried?)
- Pelican (CA 9.75% tax) 888-280-7799 http://www.pelicanparts.com (brands:models carried?)
- Zeckhausen (NJ 7% tax) 800-222-8893 http://www.zeckhausen.com (brands:models carried?)
- any others?

Note: Sales tax is a huge expense but is legally required to be collected up front only for in-state purchases. Also note that sales taxes can vary from what is above due to local changes. For example, California currently has the highest sales tax in the nation and according to Wikipedia, it's 10.25% in some locales (I listed my California locational tax).

Last edited by bluebee; 10-14-2010 at 05:31 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 09-02-2010, 11:14 AM
1.888.JLEVISW

Send a message via AIM to Bryan@Jlevi SW
Mein Auto: E46 330i
Might want to add Stotpech St. Performance Pads to that list. Slightly less dust, increased bite and less fade, not sure on noise though
Old 09-02-2010, 11:53 AM
Past Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Mark@EAC
Mein Auto: e39 5
EAC carries nearly every brand you have listed there at great pricing. OEM, Textar, Hawk, Akebono, Jurid etc. We also offer complete brake kits with your choice of pads. Our number is 1-800-208-6448.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal@Jlevi SW View Post
Might want to add Stoptech St. Performance Pads to that list. Slightly less dust, increased bite and less fade, not sure on noise though
Googling outside of Bimmerfest, it seems StopTech Street Performance Brake Pads are the same as Centric (yet Jason5driver intimates there is a difference somehow but that might just be for the rotors); and most outside references seem to indicate these pads are more for dual use than normal street use.

For example, Zeckhausen says:
"StopTech Street Performance brake pads ... high bite, low noise, and extremely wide temperature range ... ideal as "dual use" street to medium track pads....These are Zeckhausen Racing's new preferred high performance street pads."

Searching on Bimmerfest, I find a few people who recommend them, but not a whole lot.

Smilez recommends Stoptech Street Performance Pads; so does Micaho but he's talking about dual use for an E46 on the track; and of course, you recommend them often.

On the other hand, even the (yet another) Stoptech Street Performance Pads Thread has most people recommending pads other than Stoptech.

Some directly recommend other pads over the StopTech's:

For example, BimmerFiver apparently says:
[ULTs]"bite very well.* Soooo much more than Akebonos or StopTechs.* [ULTs] are nearly OEM in terms of bite, maybe 90% of the initial bite of OEM.* Not nearly as much dust as an OEM pad."

All in all, it seems like we can add it to the list of "STREET" pads in the OP; but certainly on the lower end. I'll make it number 8 (unless I see strong objections).

Thanks for the update; I had no prior information about the Stoptechs before. Please correct any mis-statements I may make above.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark@EACTuning View Post
EAC carries nearly every brand you have listed there at great pricing. OEM, Textar, Hawk, Akebono, Jurid etc. We also offer complete brake kits with your choice of pads. Our number is 1-800-208-6448.
Thanks Mark for the update. I hope all the suppliers respond as you're our first reference but it's just too time consuming to call all of you (and yes, I know you're always available ... I've read the threads).

In addition, I'll put the sponsors first in the list. I do NOT have a LIST of the sponsors (where is it); so, for now, I'll modify the OP to include you as a sponsor and the brands you supply. Specifically, I assume when you say Textar, you mean the exact models we listed; same with Hawke, Akebono, Jurid, etc. Right?
Old 09-02-2010, 12:14 PM
Past Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Mark@EAC
Mein Auto: e39 5
Thanks Bluebee. Also forgot to mention you can reach me by email at mark@eactuning.com, for the "internet people".

This is the official list of bimmerfest sponsors. http://garage.bimmerfest.com/siteSpo...tesponsorindex

In regards to which pads we carry per brand, we always make an effort to give you guys the most choices. If the brand offers e39 specific pads we carry them.

Last edited by Mark@EAC; 09-02-2010 at 12:17 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark@EACTuning View Post
Thanks Bluebee. Also forgot to mention you can reach me by email at mark@eactuning.com, for the "internet people".

This is the official list of bimmerfest sponsors. http://garage.bimmerfest.com/siteSpo...tesponsorindex
Hi Mark,
Thanks. I'll look at that list and put the sponsors in the primary recommended list for brake pads; but I'll also list the most often recommended suppliers since price AND service AND selection matter along with availability (for example, nobody I called supplied Axxis Deluxe Advanced pads when I needed 'em).

Here's what I modified the OP to look like for you (thanks for the info); please correct if I err (notice it's only about brake PADS):

EAC Tuning (OH 6.7% tax) 800-208-6448 http://eactuning.com, contact Mark@EACTuning.com
- Carries: Jurid 187, Textar T4071, Akebono Euro, Hawk HPS, Hawk HP+, Textar Ceramic Fusions, and others (in order of the original list)

Note: Research on google intimates the Hawk seem also to be dual use so that goes in a DIFFERENT category ... methinks I need to rework the OP somewhat ...
Old 09-02-2010, 12:39 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
Bluebee, in fairness to this site sponsors, maybe you should update your list of suppliers in post #1 to include EACTuning and put both site supporters at the top of the list.

Also RealOEM is not a supplier of anything but parts information.

mw
Old 09-02-2010, 01:14 PM
1.888.JLEVISW

Send a message via AIM to Bryan@Jlevi SW
Mein Auto: E46 330i
Quick note - We do sell the Stoptech Street performance brake pads, in addition to Porterfield R4-S Street Pads and Hawk HPS.

Stoptech BPs are currently not listed on our site due to some part number revision, please call us directly at 888.553.8479 if you would like to inquire about the Stoptechs.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatWiz View Post
Bluebee, in fairness to this site sponsors, maybe you should update your list of suppliers in post #1 to include EACTuning and put both site supporters at the top of the list.
Hi MatWiz,

Great minds think alike.

I was doing just that, about an hour ago, when the site locked up and lost all my edits. The site has been locked up for a while now; but it seems to have come back online. I hate it when I lose data. Makes me NOT want to redo it all over again! Grrrrrrrrrrr....

Anyway, I updated the supplier list (there were more than two in the full list) giving special emphasis to those brake pad supplier sponsors after laboriously combing the sponsor list kindly supplied by Mark.

The ENTIRE secondary list somehow got deleted; so I have to retype all that in again also.

Anyway, I think we have a good start for refering others to thread #1 above whenever they ask "what brake pads & from whom?".

Then, if there are still questions, they can open a new thread to delve further into esoteric details.

Please keep the updates coming as we don't yet have the full list of pads, their comparisons, nor what pads each of the sponsors carries.

PS: Turner Motorsports, being a sponsor, carries a special gotcha since they don't sell pads per se; but complete kits. I don't want to make the OP too complex (it's already pretty complex), so I'll add Turner Motorsports HERE in case we refer newbies to this thread who might be looking for MORE than just the pads:

Turner Motorsports (800-280-6966) http://www.turnermotorsport.com
- Axxis/PBR (model unknown), Pagid (model unknown), Hawk (model unknown)

BTW, the actual BRAND AND MODEL matters GREATLY which I found out exasperatingly when i was trying to find Axxis Deluxe Advanced pads on the net a few months ago. Everyone "said" they carried Axxis but NOBODY could sell 'em to me (entire thread here).

Last edited by bluebee; 09-02-2010 at 02:18 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:30 AM

I need help on the Akebono line of these recommendations which are intended to be forwarded to E39 drivers who innocently ask "which brake pads should I buy" ...

I just found out here, at 4:30am, that "Akebono Euros" are the same as "Akebono Euro Ceramic"; but looking up that to find the exact front/rear pads for the E39 to list for a newbie ... I find a confusingly large array of Akebono pads.

Therefore I need to narrow the Akebono recommendation down to a specific pad name (given there are dozens of "Akebono Euro Ceramics" out there (see details here and here).

So that I can update the OP above ...

Of the dozens available, which specific front/rear Akebono Euro Ceramics are the recommended pad for the E39?
- Akebono EUR763 EURO Ultra-Premium Ceramic (bmw)
- Akebono EUR681 EURO Ultra-Premium Ceramic
- Akebono EUR781 EURO Ultra-Premium Ceramic
- Akebono Euro Ultra Premium Ceramic Brake
- Akebono EUR760 EURO Ultra-Premium Ceramic
- Akebono EUR919 EURO Ultra-Premium Ceramic
- Akebono EUR912 EURO Ultra-Premium Ceramic
- Akebono EUR1060 EURO Ultra-Premium Ceramic
- Akebono EUR847 EURO Ultra-Premium Ceramic
- Akebono EUR396 EURO Ultra-Premium Ceramic
- Akebono EUR819 EURO Ultra-Premium Ceramic
- Akebono EUR939 EURO Ultra-Premium Ceramic
- Akebono EUR986 EURO Ultra-Premium Ceramic
- Akebono EUR946 EURO Ultra-Premium Ceramic
- etc.

Last edited by bluebee; 09-05-2010 at 09:25 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E39 hamster w/ pin-wheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal@Jlevi SW View Post
Might want to add Stotpech St. Performance Pads to that list. Slightly less dust, increased bite and less fade, not sure on noise though
I have heard otherwise...
Ultimates>Stoptechs.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:47 PM

I hesitate to list the myriad of "how to choose brake pad" references, since this is a thread for newbies, and we don't want to confuse anyone.

However, I found THIS article below to be excellent, so I will reference it:
- How to Choose the Best Street and Track Brake Pads, by Jeff Ritter
Attached Files
File Type: pdf how-to-choose-brake-pads.pdf (61.9 KB, 446 views)
Old 10-05-2010, 07:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 530i
as bluebee asked could someone clarify p/n for the correct akebono pads. seems there are a wide selection of pads all for the e39. this may be a stupid question but are the brakes (i.e. calipers and rotors) different for the different e39 models....525,528,530,540? for example on ebay there are different pads listed for the different models all e39 but different prices as well.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwyrick View Post
as bluebee asked could someone clarify p/n for the correct akebono pads.
I think nobody actually knows.

We all know our own cars ... and that's about as far as it goes (it seems).

I would hope that one of the sponsors can give us some insight, e.g., Jared or Mark or Max, etc. because it's clear (from the lack of response) that we (the members) simply do not have the answer.

BTW, today, in Mack's thread, abqhudson ran into the demise of Axxis
- Ready to purchase new brake pads and rotors. Whats the best setup?

As I found out in May of last year, Axxis pads were impossible to find for the fronts on my 525i from ANY sponsor (and even from any non-sponsor site).
TOP 5 Brake Pad Suppliers for the E39 (recommended by 'fest members):
- OEMm Bimmer Parts (TX) 210-445-7090 http://www.oembimmerparts.com
- SpeedNet Motorsports (CA) 800-530-3515 http://www.speednetmotorsports.com/index.html
- Turner Motorsport (MA) 800-280-6966 http://www.turnermotorsport.com
- Zeckhausen (NJ) 800-222-8893 http://www.zeckhausen.com

Even the rears were only found in people's old inventory as they phased it out.
- Why so hard to price Axxis Deluxe Advanced brake pads on the Internet?

So, revisiting this thread, almost a year later, I must re-ask the same question (so as to get a more definitive answer):

Q: Are any suppliers restocking Axxis pads for BMWs in the United States today?

Note: Re-using this picture so ignore the text.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:18 PM

Just for the record, yet another 'what brake pad' thread was opened today:
- Brake pads

To which I pointed the OP to this thread (intended expressly for this purpose). Hopefully, if the OP will read this and add value to the combined tribal knowledge. ( Note: Yes, I know I used hopefully incorrectly; I hate that grammar rule.)

BTW, Centrix/Stoptech should be removed from this list because they only make the box.

All the Centrix/Stoptech pads are made by others, e.g., Friction Material Pacific (who makes Axxis/PBR) or Akebono (according to a friend's conversation last week with the Marketing Manager of FMP North America, Louis Luera (makers of Axxis & PBR) at 3529 Cannon Road Suite 2B #515, Oceanside, CA. 92065, 760-295-6034, 619-204-7146, bmna@msn.com).

Also, here's the scoop (from Louis Luera) on Friction Materials Pacific's marketing strategy:
  • Axxis === PBR (nothing different whatsoever in the pads themselves)
  • PBR is easier to find in North America probably because there is only one exclusive Axxis distributor in North America (who then distributes to various retailers)
  • The closest to the OEM Jurid front pads is the Axxis/PBR ULT
    • Deluxe Advanced
      • Cleanest pads
      • Worst bite (but less need to warm up)
      • Least rotor wear
    • XBG (previously called MetalMasters)
      • Medium tradeoffs on the three issues
    • ULT
      • Best bite (but need to be warmed up)
      • Most dust (just like OEM)
      • Most rotor wear (just like OEM)
BTW, according to Louis, the original BMW Jurid formulation lasts only a few months on the BMWs sold by BMW. The friction material formulation is constantly tweaked. There are many generations. One of the later generations is then taken to the aftermarket pads. So, according to Louis, all Axxis/PBR pads are a tweaked forumulation of the original Jurid pads. Or so he says.

One more thing:
The company used to be called Bendix Mintex when they were just in Australia and New Zealand; but when they moved into Thailand and Malaysia, they changed the company name to Friction Materials Pacific (FMP) to reflect the australoasian nature of the company.

Last edited by bluebee; 05-27-2011 at 10:46 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:43 PM

Mein Auto: e30, e39
I recommend HAWK HPS or for more extreme brakes HPS+ (noisy and lots of dust but amazing and never fade)

I run HPS's on the e39 with ATE power discs
86 325es (wrecked by careless driver)
87 325 300k (project for life) aka 1BADETA/Christine
00 540is 6spd 214k (daily driver) Timing chain guides just failed. In the middle of a full rebuild instead of repair. I wonder how much longer it would of gone if i just repaired it.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:37 AM

For the record, Axxis pads are harder to locate than PBR pads (even though they're exactly the same thing) because, according to the head of marketing for FMR, there is only one licensed importer.

So, if anyone needs Axxis pads (over PBR equivalents), they can get them from the following vendors.

AXXIS DIRECT IMPORTER:
Nugeon
Auto Components, Inc.
Los Angeles, CA.
323-299-0004
800-369-0629
www.nugeon.com

AXXIS LICENSED RETAILERS:

Brake Parts Warehouse
13214 Whittier Boulevard
Whittier, CA 90602
877-525-5233
www.brakeco.com

Brake Warehouse
800-214-4034
www.brakewarehouse.com

Buybrakes.com
On The World Wide Web
800-853-3599
www*****brakes.com

iRotors Inc.
1820 Town & Country Drive
Norco, CA. 92860
888-876-8677
951-736-9211
www.irotors.com

Stop Tech, LLC.
3541 Lomita Blvd.
Torrence, CA. 90505
310-325-4799
310-325-6627
www.stoptech.com

Old 06-04-2011, 09:32 AM
AgouraM5

Mein Auto: '03 540iA
Ake's with Zims on my '03 540

In appreciation of Bluebee's always exhaustive analysis, I looked up my shipping slip for the brake kits for $525 ordered from FCP Groton 3/09 which included front and rear Zimmerman cross drilled brake discs:
083-2707ZD / 342111164175ZD (2)... and
34111165859ZD (2)
...these have rusted badly, so next time I would pay for the coating since rust looks awful through my Mpars...
the Akebono EuroCeramics came as two pad sets
EUR396 and
EUR681

and the pads work great, next to NO dust and bite/stopping is smooth and excellent...

just my dos centavos... ymmv
Old 09-21-2011, 10:59 PM

We should probably list the friction material edge codes for, at least, the three or four most recommended brake pads.

Here, for example, is a picture of my PBR Deluxe Advanced (aka Axxis Deluxe Advanced) friction material edge code "QOM 707 FF":

According to post #9 of this thread:
- Where exactly to apply anti-squeal compound on brake pads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngproexec View Post
I know that the last two capital letters on your brake pad [FF] consitute the level of friction. In accordance to my source site {http://www.bestbrakepads.net/} the friction level goes from the letter "E" to "H", and that the best brake pads are higher up in letter values i.e. The letter E would have the lowest level of friction whereas the letter H would have the highest level.
In addition, the first letter [in your case F] would entail how the brakes would perform when they are cold, and the subsequent letter [also F] would tell how the brakes would behave when they are warm.
I have yet to find out what the other numbers mean...
In addition, post #135 of this thread briefly touched upon edge codes:
- One user's example of a complete brake job with all torque figures, specs, measurements, fluids, decisions, tools, tricks, mistakes, suppliers, costs, etc., that it entails (1)
Quote:
In the edge code, the first letter notes the normal coefficient of friction and the second letter notes the hot coefficient of friction. The code appears in 0.25-inch letters on the edge of the friction material.
According to this reference, the Axxis/PBR Deluxe Advanced pads (Grade FF) are substandard for a BMW E39:
Quote:
Many USA suppliers are still selling cheap brake pads for European vehicles that have a friction grade of E or F even when up to 90% of the cars use a grade friction of GG or GF. It is not suggested to use these pads because they lower the brake feel on you car. So stick to the grade letters recommended for your car and that way you know you'll have the best brake pads.
So, the question becomes, what is the friction material grade for the OEM Jurid/Textar pads; and, more explicitly, what is the recommended grade for our vehicles?

EDIT: I opened a separate thread on the topic of recommended cold/hot friction grades:
- If Axxis/PBR Deluxe Advanced friction grade (FF) is substandard, what should E39's be
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	friction_material.png
Views:	16217
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	294197  

Last edited by bluebee; 09-22-2011 at 09:19 AM.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:03 PM

Mein Auto: E39
I swapped my Axxis Deluxe Plus front pads and warped/deposited/uneven rusted-hub Brembo OE-style rotors for Pagid OEM pads and ATE coated discs, and what a night and day difference!

The Axxis pads had 60K miles on them yet still had a decent amount of life left. That likely explains the minimal amount of dust -- they hardly wear out since they're so "hard" -- but that also explains the poor brake feel and initial bite. With the new pads, my car feels like a BMW again, with a linear response throughout the pedal travel and a nice firm feel. Sure, the front wheels are gross after a week of driving, but I guess that's the price you pay.

Now the question is what to do with the rear brakes. The fronts tend to do the majority of the braking, but I still feel some pulsing from the rear. Keep the old, dust-free Axxis pads and replace the uneven/worn rotors? Or go all out, for maximum performance, with some dusty new OEM pads?

Forgot to mention that, with the new front pads, they do make a bit of noise when slowly releasing the brake pedal against the car in gear. But I just attribute that to the superior bite and control of the new pads, ha.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emPoWaH View Post
I swapped ... for Pagid OEM pads
Presumably you mean Pagid Blues?

What is the friction code for the Pagid Blues pads?

Please report back into this thread for the team:
- What is the friction grade for the most recommended E39 brake pads (e.g., EE, FF, EF)

PS: Pagid isn't OEM, (AFAIK Jurid/Textar is), so 'why' do you say they're OEM equipment?

Last edited by bluebee; 09-27-2011 at 10:12 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:04 PM

Mein Auto: E39
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post

- What is the friction grade for the most recommended E39 brake pads (e.g., EE, FF, EF)

PS: Pagid isn't OEM, (AFAIK Jurid/Textar is), so 'why' do you say they're OEM equipment?
oembimmerparts calls them OEM pads (BMW E39 5-Series Front Brake Pad Set OEM), but even if they're not, they perform and dust like OEM pads. Yes, they're Pagid Blues.

Unfortunately I don't have the box anymore, so I don't know its friction grade.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Yes, they're Pagid Blues
Thanks. Both the 'brand' and 'model' matter when we are trying to figure out the friction grade for each of the most-recommended pads (because models may be different within brands):

Quote:
oembimmerparts calls them OEM pads
AFAIK (based on tribal review of the first post of this thread) the OEM pads for the E39 are Jurid 187 & Textar T4071 (front/rear). Nobody ever said Pagid Blues were OEM yet; so, unless someone knows better, we'll just have to throw out that (errant?) datapoint.

Quote:
I don't have the box anymore, so I don't know its friction grade.
It's not on the box; it's on the pad.

But that's OK. Thanks for answering. I will ask the 'next' person who puts on the Pagid Blues pads to look at the quarter-inch lettering on the edge of the pad itself for the cold/hot friction grade markings.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:25 AM
CPR ..

Mein Auto: ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post

Blue,

I do not have the actual friction code for the "Pagid Blue" pads, however, I have been able to find out what they most likely are as per my research.

To begin, I went on the Pagid website. As an important note [provided it has not been already covered] Pagid Blues are the same thing as "Pagid RS 4-2 Blue" a direct quote from my source: {http://www.pagid-brake-pads.co.uk/products/rs42-blue-carbon-based.php}- first paragraph .

Getting to the "meat" of the answer:

The website states this [shown below] as the Pagid Blue pad's friction level, ranging the temp. span from "cold" to "max performance/short period";

"Friction Levels

Cold 0.40
At 100C 0.42
At 300C 0.43
Max (@ 550C) 0.46
Constant working temperature: 350 600C
Max temperature for short period only: 650C "

According to the chart you have provided entitled the "D.O.T.'s edge codes..on..brake pads" the Coefficient of Friction [C.F.] is in Fahrenheit, whereas the friction levels on the Pagid Blue website [shown above] is in Celsius. For an ease of understanding, I will [accurately] convert the Celsius figures to Fahrenheit.

Here would be the same Pagid Blue "Friction Level" list from Celsius [shown above] to Fahrenheit [shown below].

Pagid Blue "Friction Levels"

`Important note to my revised chart ` this symbol: * represents degrees since I cannot find the symbol for degrees on my keyboard.

Cold = C.F. of 0.40 - Putting this in the range of "F.E" or "F.F" according to your D.O.T. chart.
At 212* F = C.F. of 0.42 - Putting this in the range of either "F.E." or "F.F." according to your D.O.T. chart
At 572* F = C.F. of 0.43 - Putting this in the range of either "F.E." or "F.F" according to your D.O.T chart
Max = 1022* F
Constant working temp. = Between 662* F and 1112* F.
Max temp. for short period only = 1202* F

Short Summary:

Due to the wide "Constant working temp." range, and in reference to your D.O.T. chart, it may be safe to assume that "Pagid Blues" at their constant working temp. [or operating temp. as I like to call it] have the performance of a "F.G." pad performance marking [if this marking even exists] or a "high performance" "F.F." pad

Of course this is information is subject to approval/disapproval based on an actual "look" of the Pagid Blue pads marking[s].

To either strengthen or reject my theory I will call Dave Zeckhausen or any other reputable "brake specialist" . I will revise and post/edit my findings shortly.

List of "web" references used during research:

http://www.pagid-brake-pads.co.uk/pr...rbon-based.php

http://www.onlineconversion.com/temperature.htm