Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series

M Series
The ///M Series Forums. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 12-16-2003, 12:37 PM

Mein Auto: 95 M3
Unhappy Catalytic Converter

My '95 M3 (115,000 miles) cannot pass the emissions inspection of New Jersey (almost sounds like an oxymoron!!). I've been told I need a new catalytic converter. OEM equipment and labor total $2,380.

Does anyone know of an aftermarket converter that will pass inspections for emissions????

Help, this is waaaaay tooooo expensive for my tastes.
Ads by Google
Old 12-17-2003, 12:01 PM
into things retro

Mein Auto: '02 M3 SMG & '08 135i
A few things that may be of help:

1) how did they test the car and do you get a free re-test? How badly did it fail?

It helps to drive the car around for at least an hour (and not idling in traffic) to get the catalytic converter nice and hot. It should also help to run higher octance gas in it before the check - see if you can get 100 or 103 octane unleaded racing gas to mix in with your premium unleaded. It is also possible for a new set up plugs and an O2 sensor could help.

2) if it turns out you really do need a new catalytic converter, I had a service advisor tell me that getting one from Midas would be just as good and a lot cheaper.
Photo gallery
Old 12-22-2003, 08:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A sleeper......
Can you post your emissions up, so we can see how close you are to passing?

If it's close, high octane fuel ... hehe.. I would use straight 104 ...

If you need a new cat -- they are easily found at junkyards or, Midas, or borrow a buddy's cat from his car, slap it on and then pass emissions. Not saying this is the best way; but, I find emissions testing sort of peculiar to the facility. E.g., I don't trust/believe some equipment.