Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E39 M5 (1998-2003)

E39 M5 (1998-2003)

Old 09-08-2010, 07:44 AM

Mein Auto: bmw m5
Advice needed! 1999 M5 will not start!

Hi

Has anyone had any experience of their M5 suddenly not start?? The car was fine, drove from work to the shops. Turned off the engine, then upon my return the car wouldn't start! The engine is turning but not firing up. Tried to jump start, no use, just drained battery. Towed it home and charged the battery and it's testing as 12.11 volts at rest.

Had a diagnostic guy come out and he eliminated any fuel problems. Faults that came up showed ignition faults. We stripped the engine to check the injectors and fuel is ok, but we have found no spark.

Have now been told it 'could be the ECU' gonna cost best part of 1400! But not actually confirmed.

Does anyone know if it could be anything else?? I have looked on the forum to see if anyone has had similar problems but cannot find anything specific.

HELP! Clutching at straws before having to shell out that sort of money.
Ads by Google
Old 09-08-2010, 12:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 M5; 97 M3
When you tried to turn it over did it do it with full strength? If not it might still be the battery. Without a fully charged battery, these cars don't like to start. Besides that, I don't have any good ideas about what it could be.

"Control, Vision, Determination" These are the three fundamental components of the new generation race car driver!! SPEED is a by-product! -Memphis Raines
Old 09-08-2010, 11:02 PM

Mein Auto: bmw m5
Hi

It seemed to do it will full strength. My insticnt has been telling me it's possibly the battery. I'm going to take it to be tested, because when I had it on charge for a whole day and half the tester still didn't state fully charged but voltage was above 13v.

Thanks, for reply. Glad to see another opinion on possible battery problem.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:17 PM

Mein Auto: mcoupe
One thing I recommend you check is the ews antenna ring and the ews control unit. Ring antenna runs about 14dollars and the ews mod runs around 150.00