Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 09-03-2010, 04:23 PM
Over 20 years owning BMWs

Mein Auto: 2012 535i M-Sport
Why the F10 does not get the F07 instrument cluster???

Last week I was looking at a new GT and noticed that even when the dashboard is almost identical to the F10 5 Series, they get the real black-panel instrument cluster, just like the 7 series. I can imagine that they did that to lower the cost (cheaper to paint the speedometer and tachometer markings vs using a screen), and I understand that.

What bothers me is that the bottom part of the cluster on the 5 series has 2 LCD components, one underneath the tach (displaying the MPG/Efficient Dynamics), another piece in the center displaying the OBC and nav directions, but clearly there is something missing from the left panel, underneath the speedometer...

I wonder if you could actually replace the instrument cluster with one from the GT or 7 series...
2012 535i | Built 8/259/07 2011 | Delivered 10-15-2011 | Carbon Black | Oyster Black Dakota Leather | M-Sport Pkg | Luxury Seating Pkg | Premium Pkg | Premium Sound Pkg | Technology Pkg | Sport Auto Trans. | Split Fold-Down Seats | Heated Seats | Side & Top View Cameras | Heads-Up Display | BMW Apps | Black Panel Display | Trunk Lip Spoiler | Roof Spoiler | Quad Exhaust | AirBlue Tint | Turner Wheel Spacers | Euro Plates | Hardwire V1 w/BOB | Media Cradle | Debadged | Kitchen Sink Pkg...
Ads by Google
Old 09-03-2010, 04:32 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
When I drove a 535i loaner recently, I didn't see the Efficient Dynamics red/blue graphics an gauge under the tach. Did some model versions not include this?

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 09-03-2010, 04:36 PM
Over 20 years owning BMWs

Mein Auto: 2012 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
When I drove a 535i loaner recently, I didn't see the Efficient Dynamics red/blue graphics an gauge under the tach. Did some model versions not include this?
That sounds really strange... I thought it was a standard feature.
2012 535i | Built 8/259/07 2011 | Delivered 10-15-2011 | Carbon Black | Oyster Black Dakota Leather | M-Sport Pkg | Luxury Seating Pkg | Premium Pkg | Premium Sound Pkg | Technology Pkg | Sport Auto Trans. | Split Fold-Down Seats | Heated Seats | Side & Top View Cameras | Heads-Up Display | BMW Apps | Black Panel Display | Trunk Lip Spoiler | Roof Spoiler | Quad Exhaust | AirBlue Tint | Turner Wheel Spacers | Euro Plates | Hardwire V1 w/BOB | Media Cradle | Debadged | Kitchen Sink Pkg...
Old 09-03-2010, 04:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 5 series
Yes, GT dash (and the ambient lighting) looks fantastic. I just love the way it lights up when you open the door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_c View Post
What bothers me is that the bottom part of the cluster on the 5 series has 2 LCD components, one underneath the tach (displaying the MPG/Efficient Dynamics), another piece in the center displaying the OBC and nav directions, but clearly there is something missing from the left panel, underneath the speedometer...
There is just one TFT LCD display, but in this case, a small one - just extending from the middle to under the tach; the new X3 has a similar dash.

The GT on the other hand has a wide TFT LCD display extending to the whole bottom part of the dash. The bottom part of the Speedometer and the Tachometer outer circles are missing in the GT when unlit - the circles only complete with the display lights up.

Quote:
I wonder if you could actually replace the instrument cluster with one from the GT or 7 series...
It will be very expensive, and I am not sure if there is the necessary hardware or software to drive the different display/dash.

Last edited by nosnoop; 09-03-2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
I believe you can turn the display off using iDrive.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 F10 ED 10/7/10
I believe the Sept. productions will have the extended display. I was hoping the 5 series would have the same "Black Panel" display as the 7 and 5 GT's. According to the literature the 5's are supposed to have it. My dealer couldn't give me an answer either.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:43 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_c View Post
Last week I was looking at a new GT and noticed that even when the dashboard is almost identical to the F10 5 Series, they get the real black-panel instrument cluster, just like the 7 series. I can imagine that they did that to lower the cost (cheaper to paint the speedometer and tachometer markings vs using a screen), and I understand that.

The 5er GT also gets the 7er's back seat legroom. The GT is supposed to be a little less than the 7er and a little more than F10 5er. It really is designed to be what it's called - a Grand Tourer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_C View Post
I believe the Sept. productions will have the extended display. I was hoping the 5 series would have the same "Black Panel" display as the 7 and 5 GT's. According to the literature the 5's are supposed to have it. My dealer couldn't give me an answer either.
That's a really expensive change to make 4 months after production began. What literature are you referring to? Do you have a link maybe?

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 09-03-2010, 07:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 F10 ED 10/7/10
http://f10.5post.com/goodiesforyou/f...s-brochure.pdf

(Regarding Black Panel Display) page 50/51.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2010/07/14/se...es-in-the-u-s/

I re-read the above link and I may have misinterpreted the upgrade. What's your interpretation?
Old 09-03-2010, 07:26 PM
Ready for next ED

Mein Auto: 2008 335ic
The change only applies to the 535 GT which now one standard display.
  • 1980 323i
  • A couple beater 2002tis
Old 09-03-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smhoer View Post
The change only applies to the 535 GT which now one standard display.
Yes, that's correct. Previous 535GT without Navigation option has narrow display; now they all get the same display with or without Navigation option. This does not apply to F10 or F11.