Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 750Li
Performance chip!!

jUS WANTED TO KNOW IS IT WORTH PUTTIN A CHIP ON MY 7 CONSIDERING PEOPLE HAVE TOLD ME ALL TYPES OF STORIES OF HOW IT WILL DECREASE THE LIFE OF MY ENGINE AND CAUSE OTHER POTENTIAL PROBLEMS UNDER THE HOOD WHAT U GUYS THINK?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	38647_140896915938350_100000541263961_307819_5757863_n.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	244633  
Advertisement
Old 09-03-2010, 09:47 PM

Mein Auto: 760Li
no "chips' exist for our engine. all of the ebay ones are complete crap.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:48 AM
President

Mein Auto: BMW
dinan has a "chip" for our cars

i am sure thats what he means

i think all thaty stuff is useless for our cars

dinan also has a throttle body for our cars... again, useless

'03 745i - modded - GONE -
Old 09-04-2010, 09:26 AM

Mein Auto: 745i
chipping something like an N62 engine, especially for the 7 series is a ricer move man. but i've seen it on 3 series, they're pretty good.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:37 AM

Mein Auto: '03 745Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlySkills View Post
chipping something like an N62 engine, especially for the 7 series is a ricer move man. but i've seen it on 3 series, they're pretty good.
I dont think we have a chip, since as far as I can tell our ECU is split up all over the place.

But Chipping you car it not a "Ricer" move. Ive chipped several ECU's including my last Volvo which made it to 242K miles before the rings started burning oil. It got smother performance and better gas mileage(minus the times I had a lead foot). If a chip was available for the 7, It would have been one of the first things to be done.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:52 AM

Mein Auto: 745i
bembo19 has the chip
Old 09-04-2010, 11:59 AM
Wilassasin

Mein Auto: 07' 750Li(sport)/C6 conv.
I would never do it....

09' 335i xdrive coupe(sold),
750 sport(sold)
, 2013' S550 4matic (AMG Sport Pack), C6 convertible...
Old 09-04-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samadkins29 View Post
I dont think we have a chip, since as far as I can tell our ECU is split up all over the place.

But Chipping you car it not a "Ricer" move. Ive chipped several ECU's including my last Volvo which made it to 242K miles before the rings started burning oil. It got smother performance and better gas mileage(minus the times I had a lead foot). If a chip was available for the 7, It would have been one of the first things to be done.
This is exactly what i get when i ask around on the streets..mixed responses..but there is definitely a chip for the 7 series..theres a shop in houston that will take your ecu and have a chip put on it..never really priced it but they are out there..
Old 09-04-2010, 12:54 PM
Tirona

Mein Auto: 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by corian25 View Post
This is exactly what i get when i ask around on the streets..mixed responses..but there is definitely a chip for the 7 series..theres a shop in houston that will take your ecu and have a chip put on it..never really priced it but they are out there..
Hamann has a chip for the 7.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:31 PM

Mein Auto: 760Li
Quote:
Those are not chips, but complete ECU reflashes that need to be done in person with your car. You simply can't just buy a "chip" and just plug it in and go. The Hamann and Dinan ones are only sold at authorized stores with the equipment to reprogram the ECU. I've called them up before to try to get something for my 760 with mixed results. 8 HP for close to a grand in expenses, no thank you.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:33 PM
Little Odessa

Mein Auto: bmw
on this car is better to have http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...=SPRINTBOOSTER then performance ship, since it is not reprogram airflow, but just make faster respond
Old 09-05-2010, 11:11 AM

Send a message via MSN to quarterto8 Send a message via Yahoo to quarterto8
Mein Auto: 04 E65 15 Escalade
Quote:
where in houston?? i'd like to find out.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarterto8 View Post
where in houston?? i'd like to find out.
I cant remember the name off top but when i get it i'll let u know but its over off 59 south and s. rice near the galleria. All they work on are exotic cars.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:03 AM

Send a message via MSN to quarterto8 Send a message via Yahoo to quarterto8
Mein Auto: 04 E65 15 Escalade
Quote:
I cant remember the name off top but when i get it i'll let u know but its over off 59 south and s. rice near the galleria. All they work on are exotic cars.
ok cool. def let me know as i'm curious to know what mods i can do to make the car more powerful.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmeance View Post
Those are not chips, but complete ECU reflashes that need to be done in person with your car. You simply can't just buy a "chip" and just plug it in and go. The Hamann and Dinan ones are only sold at authorized stores with the equipment to reprogram the ECU. I've called them up before to try to get something for my 760 with mixed results. 8 HP for close to a grand in expenses, no thank you.
+1, For standard ECU upgrades, you send in your Ecu and they soder on a new chip. With the ECU upgrades listed so far, it sounds like the entire car has to be there?

Note of caution for people wanting to chip their 7. Putting in a true ECU tune is not a good idea unless you have supporting mods on your car. At the minimum you would want a after market exhaust and a "cold" air intake.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:46 PM

Mein Auto: E65,03 cobra
Chipping a 7 is worthless I also wouldn't trust anyone opening up a $1500 ecu and soldering anything on it. A throttle body is even more worthless cause after the car is warmed up the valvetronic takes over and the throttle body does nothing.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 745i
This forum has gotten so bad

If you don't know the answer to a question---- don't attempt to answer it. Just because you haven't seen it or don't know about it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
There are many options for remapping the ECU for the 7 series. The real question when doing this is finding a reputable company that will be there for troubleshooting if and when drive ability issues arise.

Most modern ECU's can be flashed either in person or by bench flashing, where you would send your ecu to the company and they flash it in house.

DMS claims have always been optimistic IMHO but they claim 365hp 365tq.

powerchip claims +19hp +19tq

You will also increase you fuel economy by remapping your ecu. Not by much, but it will be increased.

there are many other options and NO you do not need a "cold air intake" as it will make you lose power.

I looked into this a few years back, and there are many options.

Last edited by GPDenver; 09-07-2010 at 03:38 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPDenver View Post
This forum has gotten so bad

If you don't know the answer to a question---- don't attempt to answer it.

there are many other options and NO you do not need a "cold air intake" as it will make you lose power.
How does a cold air intake = loss of power? If your engine is expected to put out more hp, then you should know that a bigger exhaust will help and so would a CAI. My last car was turboed so maybe I am missing something here?

Other than that I agree with you. I think the main problem, was that when you try and search for bmw ecu upgrades you get drowned out by the numerous sites that have chips for the 3 series. I did check powerchip, but was kinda put off by the $1000 price tag for only 20 more hp.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:41 PM
'12 X5 35d Black-on-Black

Mein Auto: X5d Ski Machine-Blk Betty
Quote:
How does a cold air intake = loss of power? If your engine is expected to put out more hp, then you should know that a bigger exhaust will help and so would a CAI. My last car was turboed so maybe I am missing something here?

Other than that I agree with you. I think the main problem, was that when you try and search for bmw ecu upgrades you get drowned out by the numerous sites that have chips for the 3 series. I did check powerchip, but was kinda put off by the $1000 price tag for only 20 more hp.
A bigger exhaust does not always equate to more horsepower. In fact, most all tuners will have a specific amount of back pressure in a custom exhaust system in order to have optimal HP. I think the 7-series already has it's own CAI already so that may be why there aren't many CAI options for this car.

'12 X5d Sapphire/Black/Bamboo, Sport (ZAP), Premium (ZPP) & Premium Sound(ZPS) packages: 20" 214's, OEM Hitch
'11 Victory Ness Cross Country!!!
GONE - '06 750Li Sapphire Black/Creme&Black (Loadeddddd)
Old 09-07-2010, 05:50 PM

Yes, your correct. On turbo cars (maybe all cars in general) a bigger exhaust will give you more hp, but lower torque. Its best to find the size that gives you enough back pressure to get the desired torque to hp ratio.

As far as I know, we have the standard air box. I have found some AI, but none of them CAI's.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 745i
Quote:
By this I mean there are no better intake systems available for the e65 that i know of that out preform the factory air box. By adding any open filter elements in to our engine bay yields higher iat's than the factory air box. I added one like this when I first got the car, it netted nothing for performance however it sounded cool.

Last edited by GPDenver; 09-07-2010 at 09:35 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPDenver View Post
By this I mean there are no better intake systems available for the e65 that i know of that out preform the factory air box. By adding any open filter elements in to our engine bay yields higher iat's than the factory air box. I added one like this when I first got the car, it netted nothing for performance however it sounded cool.
Ah ok, yea that makes sense. The AI thats commonly available are not true CAI. Since they need to drop to below the engine in the front(where the cold air is). Replacing the stock air box with the available options is only going to net you MAYBE 2-8HP. So I am not surprised you didn't feel much of anything. If you chipped you car and put the stock box back in, then put back in your current setup, you would feel the difference between the two.

I guess what I meant to say was, if you plan to chip your car and want the most of your new performance, adding a CAI and exhaust would help.

Im sticking with the K&N replacement for now. Since I dont plan to do any performance work, only cosmetic.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 750Li
anyone seen this device?

http://www.automotiveconcepts.net/pr...02-107999.html

someone showed it to me.... not really interessted for my car, but is this a crappy one on the net or a good peice?
Old 01-14-2013, 09:09 AM
745i Blk-Blk

Mein Auto: 2005 745i s
The biggest performance gain I've seen with my car is dual exhaust. What a difference! The only other mod I will do is changing the intake. I checked into the chip thing and only found one company that has a chip that would work on the 7 series. Very low horse power increase for the cost. The sound and increase in performance makes it worth while. It also depends on how much of an increase in performance your looking for...
Old 01-14-2013, 09:21 AM

Mein Auto: 745li