Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 09-04-2010, 03:23 AM

Mein Auto: 1993 325i
1993 325i no spark no fuel

Checked voltage at the pump and showed 6 volts. Bypassed the fuel pump relay on pins 30 and 87 on the power box and the pump was a humming. Checked all the grounds and they were good. Checked the fusible link in the trunk and that was still intact. Bought a crank position sensor from autozone. Checked the Ohms (590) about the same as my old one, but installed it anyways due to the success others were having on the forum. Still nothing. NO fuel and No spark, just cranks.

No check engine light when I turn to the on position and the start position. Also no CEL when I do the instrument panel test. Pulled the DME out and checked the resistance on all the grounds pin 15 was showing a 2.76 ohms. Couldn't find that ground point via bentley manual or the 93 325I Electrical Troubleshooting guide so I traced the ground about six inches from the DME harness and spliced into it and grounded to the main ground on the front strut location. Checked the resistance on pin 15 and it showed 0.00. Had my fingers crossed and tried to jump start and the same symptoms. Just to be thorough sprayed starter fluid in air box hole and nothing. 4 of the six spark plugs when pulled had oil on the threads, would that shut off the fuel injectors? and/or the fuel pump? Seemed like the prior owner was trying to troubleshoot the issue, a lot of loose trim around dash and trim boards ( seems like they were tracing grounds and other wires). Called the $tealership and they confirmed there shouldn't be an immobilizer installed and thought there was an electrical issue and wanted me to tow it to them to look at. I am currently wait on a valve cover gasket w/ plug seals and a new Fuel Pump relay and Main (DME) relay. Running out of ideas, Any thoughts or tips in a different direction would be appreciated
Advertisement
Old 10-05-2010, 07:51 PM

Mein Auto: e36 525i
Did you ever figure anything out on this? I got a 95 525i with the same issues.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:57 PM
The Canadian Prick.

Mein Auto: '96 328is Cosmos
Wait a tick. Do you have an E36 or a 525i or both? They are mutually exclusive y'know.

HAS KEN HAD HIS MEDS YET?
Old 10-07-2010, 08:13 AM
BMW Junkie

Mein Auto: 96 328I 99 328I
Is the main relay comming on?
The DME will not turn on the relay unless there is a signal from the crank position sensor.
Check the resistance ot the sensor. Its a pain in the ass to ge to the plug!!
Old 01-19-2011, 01:55 PM

Mein Auto: 93 325i
Question

I'm having the exact same problem with my 93 325i. have you fixed the problem yet?
Old 01-19-2011, 06:43 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinvivod View Post
I'm having the exact same problem with my 93 325i. have you fixed the problem yet?
welcome to the 'fest, and this is a old post. (looks like someone was using the search function...)

this is also a very valid reason for 'closure' on threads, to assit in possible future inquiries.

to the op, though, i would check for power to your pump first. then spark.

df
Old 01-19-2011, 09:33 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivinfaster View Post
this is also a very valid reason for 'closure' on threads, to assit in possible future inquiries.
This E39 diagnostic thread may also be of assistance for the E36:
- How to diagnose a BMW E39 engine misfire (1) & a cold-engine intermittent misfire (1)

I'm trying to find all the misfire-related threads with closure to add to that diagnostic tree to help others - which is how I ran into this thread.

Alas ... no closure ... no benefit to others.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:33 PM

Mein Auto: work
I am having an electrical proem I have checked all fuses and relays If I put my hand on the throttle body I feel like something is going through this is with the ignition in e off position any ideas would be greatly appreciated this s draining all the juice from my battery forgot 95 325i thank you
Old 04-28-2014, 05:54 PM

Get a stethoscope and pinpoint the
exact location of the sound.
Do you have cruise control?
It may be sticking on. I've seen it before .
Most everything else in that area is
controlled by the ECU via cam and crank sensor only
During cranking after the initial prime.
When you find the noise check that the
on/off for cruise control switch isn't stuck open.
It might have a relay stuck open.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:53 PM

Talking Bad ECU

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinvivod View Post
It ended up being a bad ECU.