BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1998 E39 Starter Problem

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  dannyc9997 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,

This is my first post on this forum but I've been lurking for quite some time and reading as much of the archives as I can get time to read. Great site! Like you, I love E39's.

I have what I think to be is a bad starter, but I would like to ask you knowledgeable folks what you think. The car was built in 3/98, has 151,700 miles on it (I bought it new and have owned it all this time). Sometimes (fairly frequently now) when I try to start the car the starter will crank for about 1/2 second and then it sounds like it stops and just does not have the oommph to turn the engine further. The dash lights dim a little until I back off on the key. The car has a new, fully charged battery. I can try it a number of times over a period of a few minutes and it will eventually start the engine. Sounds like the starter is weak and needs to be replaced - agree? I just would like to be sure before I buy a re-manufactured one or find out that it might be another problem. This is a recent problem that has started in the last 3 weeks. It's the original starter.

The car runs just fine, has a fresh head gasket, cooling system change outs and I just replaced the CCV and cleaned the ICV. I replaced the forward O2 sensors just yesterday. Now I would like to take this job on and save some serious bucks. I have what I consider to be junior mechanic skills. I have the Bentley manual and it says that "the starter bolts are difficult to reach so make sure you have the right tools on hand" but it does not specify the tools needed. I have a moderate tool chest, but probably not what I need to do this job. So, does anyone know exactly what tools are needed so I can go get them before starting on this? I've searched the forum and can't seem to find anything specific on this subject. Any help would be appreciated.

Finally - any tips and tricks to make this easier?

To sum up - three questions:

1. Bad starter?
2. Tools needed to replace it?
3. Tips and tricks?

Thanks a bunch!! Hope to get this done soon and get my much-loved 528 back on the road. BTW - the forum has already helped me make the repairs mentioned above - THANKS!!

With regards,

Ed

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.