Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 09-04-2010, 11:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 530i
Cost to replace Rear Brake lights

I own 2006 BMW 530i, with upgraded Maintenance plan upto March 2012. Today I had been to BMW dealer since it showed warning for Rear Brake light malfunction. They replaced 2 bulbs in just 10-15 mins. But they charged me $92.99 for the service saying it includes labor cost. Have anybody done similar bulb replacement with BMW dealer ? Is this cost reasonable ?

Thanks,

Mangu
Advertisement
Old 09-05-2010, 01:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 550i
That cost is BS.

I had a right rear backup light go out. Took it in (under warranty) and watched them change out the bulb in less than 5 minutes. Since all the rear lights are contained in the same assembly, there is no reason to charge that amount.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:49 PM

Mein Auto: E60 M5, E46 325i
Dude, you got robbed. I would contact the service manager and complain telling them by charging that amount they are going to lose you business and that of your friends/family. At that cost they are charging $450/hr to replace bulbs. I guess businesses aren't praticing how to develop long-term relationships with their clients and just worried about making a quick dollar.

What dealership was servicing your car?

Last edited by SoCaLE39; 09-05-2010 at 02:51 PM.
Old 09-05-2010, 04:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2008, 650i, sport package
Most be a dealer specific thing. I have gone to dealer with rear bulbs or parking lights out. I usually buy the bulb from the parts department and the service guys will put it in free. I even had one dealer just put a new bulb in with charging. Also they rear bulbs are generally an easy self change.

One thing I get is a rear brake light or back-up light warning but the bulb is still good. Warning light goes out within a couple of starts.

2008- 650i, black with tan interior. Sport package, premium pgk, cold pkg, pdc, premium sound. -NJ
Old 09-06-2010, 12:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 530i
Thank you Guys for your replies. I will talk to the service manager first thing tomorrow morning. I had doubts about the agent the moment he started his talks with things to perform on my car like doing alignment, changing tires right away and all. I avoided those things but somehow did not want to drive on long weekend with warning sign. Initially, he did not specify the cost for the work. But when I asked he just estimated that it will be 92.99. And charged the same thing. Surely, he is trying to impress the dealer by earning them some money, as he also mentioned that he has joined them some 5 months back.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:42 AM

Mein Auto: 325 bimmer
no dude, the lightbulb at dealership is hecka expensive. I ask just to buy the light bulb alone n it cost $70 for one. those guys sure no how to make $$ i told the guy to go lick his own balls when he told me it costed that much
Old 09-09-2010, 07:06 AM

Mein Auto: E46 323i, E60 545i
Wow that's steep. I get most of bulbs from places like Autozone and they are embarrassingly cheap (like $0.20 per brake light bulb).
Old 09-09-2010, 11:17 AM
Bimmer / Beemer

Mein Auto: 2004 525i
Side affects?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jglos View Post
One thing I get is a rear brake light or back-up light warning but the bulb is still good. Warning light goes out within a couple of starts.
I also had that happen. Dealer replaced bulb for free and it still occurred. I thought it was a bad connection or only on humid days ... it hasn't happened again since my left angel eye bulb died and I replaced it. Maybe a flakey bulb, that's about to go, will cause a warning elsewhere?????

HTH,
Jer

2004 525i Orient Blue metallic
1999 K1200LT Champagne
1985 R80RT Coloradorot - metallic (Red w/ gold pinstrip)
Old 09-23-2010, 07:05 PM
U of Dawgs

Mein Auto: 08 535iA Spt/11 X5 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglos View Post
Most be a dealer specific thing. I have gone to dealer with rear bulbs or parking lights out. I usually buy the bulb from the parts department and the service guys will put it in free. I even had one dealer just put a new bulb in with charging. Also they rear bulbs are generally an easy self change.

Disconnect and check your connector. Pay special attention to the terminal for the brown wire... it may be loose. I had that happen with 2 cars - both E60's. I know this post is old but my connector worked itself loose and acted like yours for about 3 months before all lights failed.

-----------------------------------
Nube1Kenobi
2011 X5 35i Sport Activity|Plat Gray/Beige/Dk Poplar|Conv Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Tech Pkg|Prem Sound|Comfort Seats|Hitch|
2008 535i Mon Blue/Dakota Blk/Dk Poplar|Sports Pkg|Prem Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Nav|RTTI|PDC|L7|HD|I-Pod/USB|PWR Rr shade|Sports Auto - paddles|Active Stg|Comfort Access|F/D R/seats|Rr DMS Airbags|Adaptive Xenons

Do not argue with an idiot else he lowers you to his level and beat you down with experience..

Last edited by Nube1kenobi; 09-23-2010 at 07:08 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:17 AM

Mein Auto: 328i Coupe
When I had my Mercedes I brought it to my usual shop to replace a headlight and it was around $100! I quickly learned how to DIY! Bulbs are things you can do yourself. just go pick up the bulb at an autozone and pull out the manual. I haven't had to change any on my Bimmer yet but it was pretty easy on my Mercedes.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i x-Drive
Reverse light warning message came up for me last week--called BMW and was told it would cost $52 to replace. I went to the local BMW dealer parts counter, paid $12.07 for a new bulb and followed the directions in the owner's manual to swap the bulb out in no more than 10 minutes. The toughest part was removing the fasteners in the trunk for access to the lighting panel. Try not to handle the bulbs with bare hands as oil and other contaminants can lessen the bulb life. BMW is out of their mind for charging such ridiculous rates for such a minor service.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i sport
Sorry to say this but you have been had.

I had the rear park light out once; bought the bulb in autozone and changed it myself in 5 minutes. I had never done it before but it takes only once to make me realize it's one of the easiest things to do on my car. $92.99 is unconscionable.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 550i, 2011 335i Vert
thought I would add to this thread.

Earlier this year I got the Rear Reverse light malfunction error...even though both were working fine. I went ahead and replaced them from Autozone..probably $1 total. Very easy.

Now I am getting Rear Light malfunction. Again, all rear lights are working fine. The warning goes away after a minute or so at startup, but then tells me it again on shutdown.

I need to research the bulbs necessary to replace them all just to get it over with.

Anyone have similar issues where it says malfunction but the lights are working fine?

2007 550i Sport - White - Tan
Old 11-08-2011, 10:29 AM
U of Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsonga View Post
thought I would add to this thread.

Earlier this year I got the Rear Reverse light malfunction error...even though both were working fine. I went ahead and replaced them from Autozone..probably $1 total. Very easy.

Now I am getting Rear Light malfunction. Again, all rear lights are working fine. The warning goes away after a minute or so at startup, but then tells me it again on shutdown.

I need to research the bulbs necessary to replace them all just to get it over with.

Anyone have similar issues where it says malfunction but the lights are working fine?
Get it fixed ASAP. You have a bad ground in the assembly's connector... high resistance.

Nube1Kenobi
2011 X5 35i Sport Activity|Plat Gray/Beige/Dk Poplar|Conv Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Tech Pkg|Prem Sound|Comfort Seats|Hitch|
2008 535i Mon Blue/Dakota Blk/Dk Poplar|Sports Pkg|Prem Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Nav|RTTI|PDC|L7|HD|I-Pod/USB|PWR Rr shade|Sports Auto - paddles|Active Stg|Comfort Access|F/D R/seats|Rr DMS Airbags|Adaptive Xenons

Do not argue with an idiot else he lowers you to his level and beat you down with experience..
Old 11-08-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nube1kenobi View Post
Get it fixed ASAP. You have a bad ground in the assembly's connector... high resistance.
'Get it fixed'. Meaning go to a repair shop (e.g. dealer, indy) or go and replace all the bulbs?

I am assuming you mean there is a bad connector. Can I use my multi-meter and check them and DIY?

Old 11-08-2011, 11:06 AM

Mein Auto: Pretty much had 'em all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nube1kenobi View Post

Or the Autozone bulbs are wrong wattage. Check modules read circuit impedance, a wrong bulb may light but will fool module into reading a failure. I wouldn't buy so much as a lightbulb for a Euro car from a big box store. More often than not they sell crappy quality parts made to a price spec.(especially house brands) rather than for quality, that's if the stooge behind the counter knows how to look it up and then if they are even correct/fit.
Just changed a 16k mile old water pump from a big box store, utter crap, lucky it didn't come completely apart.
Quality parts are available from sources other than the dealer, light bulbs included.
Retail dealer prices for bulbs below;
BULB YELLOW 12V 21W 2 03/2007 63217160791 $5.58
04 Longlife bulb, Gelb 12V 21W 2 03/2007 63217176025 $5.58
05 Longlife bulb 12V 21W 6 03/2007 63217160790 $2.38
06 Longlife bulb 12V 16W 2 03/2007 63217160804 ENDED
06 Longlife bulb 12V 16W 2 03/2007 63217160935 $6.42

OP got soaked. Post dealer's name

Last edited by ross1; 11-08-2011 at 11:10 AM.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
Or the Autozone bulbs are wrong wattage. Check modules read circuit impedance, a wrong bulb may light but will fool module into reading a failure. I wouldn't buy so much as a lightbulb for a Euro car from a big box store. More often than not they sell crappy quality parts made to a price spec.(especially house brands) rather than for quality, that's if the stooge behind the counter knows how to look it up and then if they are even correct/fit.
Just changed a 16k mile old water pump from a big box store, utter crap, lucky it didn't come completely apart.
Quality parts are available from sources other than the dealer, light bulbs included.
I went to the Sylvania website and got the replacement bulb #. Then found it at a local Advanced Auto parts.

Last time it was complaining about the Rear Reverse lights...so I replaced them. It has been fine for months. Now it is complaining about rear lights in general. I assume tail lights as it has been specific in the past. It may be so sensitive that it can tell when a bulb is going to fail. There are 82k miles on our 550i.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:55 PM
U of Dawgs

Quote:
'Get it fixed'. Meaning go to a repair shop (e.g. dealer, indy) or go and replace all the bulbs?

I am assuming you mean there is a bad connector. Can I use my multi-meter and check them and DIY?
Yes... take a reading on the brown wire and the pins. These suckers are floating... I don't like it. Once you think you got it fixed, use a contact enhancer like DeoxIT® GOLD Liquid, or if you have lots of spare change, Stabilant 22.

Nube1Kenobi

Old 11-08-2011, 05:59 PM
U of Dawgs

Quote:
I went to the Sylvania website and got the replacement bulb #. Then found it at a local Advanced Auto parts.

Last time it was complaining about the Rear Reverse lights...so I replaced them. It has been fine for months. Now it is complaining about rear lights in general. I assume tail lights as it has been specific in the past. It may be so sensitive that it can tell when a bulb is going to fail. There are 82k miles on our 550i.
It will keep on complaining about each bulb in the cluster until you fix the connector or the ground...

Nube1Kenobi

Old 11-09-2011, 12:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i M-Sport
Bulbs are a DIY...Had a reverse light go out recently, took it out myself and replaced it in 10 minutes..Only difficult part is getting over the rape I received buying the bulb from the dealer..It was like $7...
Old 11-09-2011, 12:48 PM

Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by esanger View Post
Bulbs are a DIY...Had a reverse light go out recently, took it out myself and replaced it in 10 minutes..Only difficult part is getting over the rape I received buying the bulb from the dealer..It was like $7...
is that each?, for reverse bulbs; Sylvania-921 12v/18W bayonet style bulbs; cost $4.99 for a pair, just bought them last night at O'Rilley auto parts.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:58 PM
U of Dawgs

Quote:

So did you fix it? Here's a semi-DIY where this poster did a ground "refurb" of his brown ground wire. I would use an environmental splice if I were you, not the way he half-a$$ed it...

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...59&postcount=5

And another one... same wire:

http://bmw.tech.officelive.com/Taill...r20022005.aspx

Nube1Kenobi

Last edited by Nube1kenobi; 11-10-2011 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:37 AM

Great post! thx.

I have not had the time to investigate yet.

I noticed when I got this warning on the reverse light, the bulb that it was complaining about was still working but it was burnt compared to the other and the new bulb. Replacing it fixed the problem. Maybe it was so close to failing that the resistance had increased.

I find it interesting there is a ground tab in the example above that isnt used but is available.

I also would not splice it in the fashion he did.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:54 PM

I was able to fix ours by just replacing the bulb. the right inner taillight bulb was burned out. Replacing it has taken away the warning.

I got a 2 pack of bulbs for $5.99.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:53 PM

Mein Auto: 07 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangukoli View Post
I own 2006 BMW 530i, with upgraded Maintenance plan upto March 2012. Today I had been to BMW dealer since it showed warning for Rear Brake light malfunction. They replaced 2 bulbs in just 10-15 mins. But they charged me $92.99 for the service saying it includes labor cost. Have anybody done similar bulb replacement with BMW dealer ? Is this cost reasonable ?

Thanks,

Mangu
you could have spent another 100$ and bought led tailights, install was 15 min , sorry about your trouble